PDA

View Full Version : The Good and Bad of the PSP Scene

wraggster
August 26th, 2007, 20:57
Hi all, no real news of releases this weekend but hey its not surprising after the madness of Neoflash and Pandora its settling down now and hey we all need a break now and again.

This is my chance to detail the good and the Bad of the PSP Homebrew Scene a scene that more than any other is in the mainstream eye, sure we have had the Dreamcast (http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/), the GP32 (http://gp32emu.dcemu.co.uk/), GBA (http://gbaemu.dcemu.co.uk/), GP2X (http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/) and the Nintendo DS (http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/) Scenes and all are good in their own way but never has a scene got the attention of the mainstream press like the PSP Scene.

When Nem released Hello World and the realisation that the PSP was open to homebrew in a way that no one could dream of it opened the eyes of every hardcore homebrew fan. Any system that doesnt need Modding or additional hardware is a fantastic one to enjoy homebrew on.

The releases that followed Nems release was amazing, most of them coming from some excellent Japanese coders who were releasing mostly emulators at anything up to 15 releases per day, trying to be a newsposter then was a bloody hard job.

When the japanese slowed down it was the rest of the worlds coders who took over releasing hundreds upon hundreds of games, demos, applications and emulators.

The scene did slow down a trifle until the release of the first downgrader, that release was absolutly massive, it gave the DCEmu server such a pounding that only a few releases since have matched it.

Other high points of the scene are the masses of releases by Deniska (http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/) (famous for MapThis) and Zx-81 (http://zx81.dcemu.co.uk/), the GBA Emulator from Exophase stunned us with its near full speed on first release, StrmnNrmn`s Nintendo64 Emulator, PSmonkeys Iris, PS1P the playstation emulator, infact theres so many great releases that you would be hard pressed to remember them all.

Then we moved onto the Custom Firmwares which gave you the ability to play new games and region free umd films on much lower firmware, the real major Custom firmware release was the one with the full speed Playstation Emulator that was amazing, to see games at such speed on the PSP was an emulation fans dream. Releases such as Eloader opened up a world of homebrew to more users but the biggest release was to happen a few days ago, Pandora by Team C+D a collection of many of the worlds best PSP Hackers gave us the ability to downgrade and unbrick PSP Consoles at Will and for the cost of a Battery (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-71-jd-49-en-84-j-70-1lz3.html) and a PSP Memstick (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_SanDisk_Memory_Stick_Pro_Duo_4GB_w__Adapt or.html?aff_id=24).

Sony who never managed to stop homebrew were dealt a serious blow with Pandora, yes they will somehow stop homebrew again with future firmwares but the PSP Scene is sure to crack them someday.

The list of good releases and happenings in the PSP Scene is a very long one and something that every hacker, coder and fan should be pleased with.

With the PSP Scene being mainstream and you could tell is was going to be massive early on it brought a few things to the table that homebrew could do without, there was incidents of sites putting their own readmes into releases so confusing people into thinking that the release was from them. Sites poaching coders to release on their forums, Some coders were offered money for exclusive releases and one sad occasion was the release of software featuring GPLed work and people were being asked to pay for it, all very sad.

The release of Devhook and other ISO loaders brought in sites who hadnt been interested in the PSP Scene but because they had piracy backgrounds they dived into the scene, the release of Devhook was the killing of the interest of Japanese coders who had released so much for the scene, a friend on IRC who translated for us at times told me that none of the coders wanted their releases next to a piracy release. Which any hardcore homebrewer can understand.

With the PSP Scene becoming such a massive concern it became apparent that it wasnt just homebrewers running sites, infact 3 of todays PSP Sites are ran by backers with millions at their fingers (i wont name names but its not hard to guess). One of the worst of the rogue PSP Scene sites is a site that cover every release to make it appear that all is released there, sadly they stole the source to a custom firmware and in the melee that ensued ended up bricking a lot of PSP Consoles. Thankfully Team C+D released the unbricker which came at a great time for all those hurt by the brickings, even that release was forced by some idiot who had leaked the release to make money its presumed.

So theres my little run through of some of the good and some of the bad of the worlds first mainstream homebrew scene. Its been a great ride so far with so many great coders and hackers supplying so many great releases and with the PSP Slim and the extra 32MB of ram around the corner and not to mention all the new features for PSP on the horizon its going to be an awesome time.

Lets remember that theres still so much to achieve and so much that can be hacked on the PSP that theres always a chance of a killer release soon.

Wraggy out

http://digg.com/gaming_news/The_Good_and_Bad_of_the_PSP_Scene

ICE
August 26th, 2007, 21:04
being the first mainstream homebrew scene is huge. psp and its coders are taking homebrew out of the shadows and in to the mainstream by making the psp do things we never would have dreamed of it doing. the only downside in all of this is the piracy that comes along with it.

burrito
August 26th, 2007, 21:14
I remember when I had been waiting for homebrew on my psp that was 2.71 TA-082 at the time. Then one morning, I could suddenly play Mario Bros. (nes) with eloader. It was amazing. :)

mavsman4457
August 26th, 2007, 21:22
This scene has been great and I just wonder now if Pandora's battery will delay the release of the Slim PSP with Sony's efforts to fight the downgrading.

pspfan
August 26th, 2007, 21:41
You should've mentioned iR Shell...it's much more of a revolutionary homebrew than PS1P or Iris

mcdougall57
August 26th, 2007, 21:43
nice, i remember when the 2.80 eloader came out i was overjoyed

Sterist
August 26th, 2007, 22:04
I remember when I had been waiting for homebrew on my psp that was 2.71 TA-082 at the time. Then one morning, I could suddenly play Mario Bros. (nes) with eloader. It was amazing. :)

nice, i remember when the 2.80 eloader came out i was overjoyed

those weren't that long ago lol

=====================================
=====================================

hardcore homebrewer

i like that :) i wonder if i could snag that title for under my username :thumbup:

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 26th, 2007, 22:15
The psp scene is the best Homebrew scene out off all the consoles, and it just gets better:) I'm soooooo glad and proud I'm a PSP owner and a member of DCEMU!!!!!!, I must say DCEMU is by far the best homebrew site out there!!!, I would just like to say thank you wraggy and all DCEMU staff for all your effort!!!THX:)

SSaxdude
August 26th, 2007, 22:18
The PSP "scene" is massive. I know many, many people who have a hacked PSP. And with Pandora's Battery, even more people will get into the scene.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 26th, 2007, 22:22
The PSP "scene" is massive. I know many, many people who have a hacked PSP. And with Pandora's Battery, even more people will get into the scene.

But sadly i only know 2 people in newcastle who has a homebrew capable psp:(

zevende
August 26th, 2007, 23:30
Why are you talking about Devhook in such a negative way? Devhook is a major milestone in PSP history. Give it some respect.

dangee
August 26th, 2007, 23:34
..the look on that gangsters face in the GTA opening sequence just b4 the Emenu kicked in ...priceless

burrito
August 26th, 2007, 23:34
I already let my friends with unhacked psps borrow my Pandora battery and memory stick. :)

those weren't that long ago
It has already been 11 months since the Märzenbier eloader.

Sterist
August 27th, 2007, 00:10
It has already been 11 months since the Märzenbier eloader.

and?

that was one of the last few eloaders released :rofl: that's the one that comes with all the goodies at the menu

though i missed the filebrowsing from the 2.00 version :( i guess it had to be given up when the "GAME150" folder-ing was adopted, because of kmode and user-mode.

1.50 was actually entirely ran in kmode. if user-mode was introduced in 1.50 instead of 2.00, 1.00 prolly would have been the golden firmware. i miss the 4-second gameboot screen from 1.00 :( games take so long to start now

Welshboy
August 27th, 2007, 00:49
I think the most amazing introduction is the ability to play any PS1 game, a year ago we were like FF7 at 13fps......................amazing!!!!!!. Ha Ha!!!! happy days!!!

xg917
August 27th, 2007, 01:00
i wasnt in the scene very long but i jumped in a few months before the TA-082 Downgrader was released. devhook days were the best (having 1.50, 2.71, and 3.01 firmwares on one psp just by using devhook.. :o) it was great. then i remember when eloader for 2.80 came out, obviously i didnt update cuz i could already emulate 1.50 firmware to play my homebrew and stuff.

Sterist
August 27th, 2007, 01:08
i'd kill for a full-function 1.00 emulator ;p

nakko
August 27th, 2007, 01:30
Dude, Wraggster, everyone, I may not post much but I come here all the time and have since way back when.

Just want to say, I really appreciate this great site, as it more than any others defines the scene for me. Not to mention makes my PSP roughly a hundred times more fun. =)
(I can stop sucking up now...)

Safari Al
August 27th, 2007, 01:35
Yeah ijust realized so far i have not seen another system besides the computer/n64 that emulates n64

Sousanator
August 27th, 2007, 01:38
i remember swaploit as if it were yesterday

xg917
August 27th, 2007, 01:45
Yeah ijust realized so far i have not seen another system besides the computer/n64 that emulates n64

xbox can emulate n64 :p
but psp is the only handheld that can emulate n64

Safari Al
August 27th, 2007, 02:02
really? Never knew that

My first experience involed getting GTA on ebay. First the guy gave me the wrong one, then i finally got it, too scared to downgrade so i was stuck playing nes (which i was hyped about). Then i think it was a few days later i downgraded thinking id brick but i didnt and finally got to 1.50. I later upgraded to 3.40 oe and jumped around since. If i could choose any console for homebrew theres no dounbt itd be the psp :thmubup:

Edit wow i like my 400th post

JKKDARK
August 27th, 2007, 02:35
xbox can emulate n64 :p

*ilegally

mexicansnake
August 27th, 2007, 02:46
Fanjita is leaving :(

http://fanjita.org/serendipity/archives/17-The-Last-Hurrah.html

hacksparrow
August 27th, 2007, 02:54
Fanjita is leaving :(

http://fanjita.org/serendipity/archives/17-The-Last-Hurrah.html

heard on maxconsole & pspextra, **** **** **** ******** ufkcuffgkjhaleiuvytaeiutvalebwhqtiu4q hiutabiu ehvtaeiuhgflaievuhtq;3iuhrlef

my psp was originally 1.52 so i couldn't do shit til the 2.00downgrader

Safari Al
August 27th, 2007, 03:19
i wonder what he meant by betrayal after the release of the pandora battery?

RevVS
August 27th, 2007, 03:30
Too bad about all the piracy and BS but whaddaya going to do? The worlds got jerks. (Well, worse than jerks but I'm playing this comment for a PG audience).

Thanks to homebrew, I got a handy kanji trainer, IM service and as soon as I can get it working a YouTube portal on my PSP. How kick butt is that?

If Sony takes some ideas from homebrew as they said they did with the RSS Channels feature, I sort of wonder why they don't implement some of these other homebrew apps or make them viable options for those wanting to do these highly non-illegal things in a legal way?

Could boost their sales is all I'm saying...

xg917
August 27th, 2007, 05:07
*ilegally

wat do u mean by that??

JKKDARK
August 27th, 2007, 05:10
wat do u mean by that??

They made that Nintendo 64 emulator with the illegal SDK

yoshinatsu
August 27th, 2007, 06:01
Ooooh... That article was so nostalgic...
We've gone through many things guys...
I LOVE YOU!!;)

kharaboudjan
August 27th, 2007, 10:25
Yeah! i´ve had my psp 2 years by now and it has become more fantastic than i ever could dream of! i mean i love emulators and we can play NES, SNES, GBA, CPS2, NEO GEO, Amiga, PS1 at full or almost full speed!!

the only system we all miss now is the N64 to be faster and to have more compatibility :D

PSmonkey
August 27th, 2007, 18:35
good times good times. I still remember getting less then 5 hours of sleep each night while trying to do M64 and Iris.

dejkirkby
August 27th, 2007, 21:39
good times good times. I still remember getting less then 5 hours of sleep each night while trying to do M64 and Iris.
And it is still appreciated now!:thumbup:

PSmonkey
August 28th, 2007, 16:00
And it is still appreciated now!:thumbup:

Yeah. If only I was still doing it. That cand you sent me could probably keep me running on 3 hours of sleep. :P

burrito
August 28th, 2007, 19:17
i'd kill for a full-function 1.00 emulator ;p
What is good about 1.00?
I don't know because when I found out about psp homebrew, 2.71 was already out.