PDA

View Full Version : Pandora May be Working on PSP Slim(2000) ?

wraggster
August 27th, 2007, 21:19
A scene member of another site has posted that he tried a pandora battery in a PSP Slim this weekend at PAX. Heres what he posted:

I was at PAX this weekend and they had the PSP slim tethered to some hired "promo girls". I was hoping to talk to some actual Sony reps, but there were none. Of course, after I realized that there were no Sony reps there, I nicely asked the girl if I could "try if my battery worked on the slim". I had Pandora's battery & the hacked memory card on me so I figured why the hell not. I had tested them on a normal PSP and they work like a charm... but on the slim it does not work (yet). I turned the unit off and took out the UMD, put in my memory stick, then Pandora. The battery tried to load something, but I just got a blank screen. Hopefully this just means that the battery works, but the memory stick needs a tweak, but I can't be sure... all I do know is that it won't work as it stands right now.

He was also asked if the Wlan/MS lights came on and replied with this:

I'm pretty sure they flashed a few times, but it was very busy and I was sort of trying to do it without drawing too much attention... you Americans have crazy laws (DMCA) so I wanted to get it done asap.

All very interesting eh, Dark Alex has said that if the light flashed then unsigned code ran.

Until we can get further confirmation then this is strictly a rumour and thus will not credit anyone untill verified. all very interesting though.

Digg This (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Pandora_May_be_Working_on_PSP_Slim_2000)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Pandora_May_be_Working_on_PSP_Slim_2000

paladinja
August 27th, 2007, 21:33
A: this is HILARIOUS. this guy earns hero status for even TRYING to pull this off. Seriously, CAPITAL form sir.

B: So... did he BRICK the thing? If so, even MORE HILARIOUS, and hope the chap expedited a speedy retreat. (only after dropping smoke bombs & copping a quick feel, naturally)

C: ... wait, no... that's it.

mike03$$$
August 27th, 2007, 21:38
i knew it would work

Cokemusic
August 27th, 2007, 21:40
Sony would never release hardware knowing it's already exploitable.

End OF.

Welshboy
August 27th, 2007, 21:44
Well thing is this is only a recent development and Sony have only just realised we can tamper with the Battery. So there's a good chance the psp slim can get some form of downgrader. It's only a matter of time. Sony, Sony, Sony.....how you try.

mike03$$$
August 27th, 2007, 21:44
true but the fact that the slim has a slight chance to run homebrew

IM back!
August 27th, 2007, 21:49
he must have ben relly sneky.

burrito
August 27th, 2007, 21:53
lol yesterday wraggster posted that there wasn't a single psp at PAX (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72269) and now he's saying there was one...

Cokemusic
August 27th, 2007, 22:03
true but the fact that the slim has a slight chance to run homebrew

I don't think the new PSP will ever lack the ability to run homebrew unless $ony do something really special , I'm guessing that the majority of the effort put into the new PSP was aesthetics , improvments , enhancements etc.

At the end of the daythere will always be a way to counter Sony efforts , even a security measure by Sony could be a potential exploit.

It's like filling a bucket with holes , you can only keep it up for so long.

lol yesterday wraggster posted that there wasn't a single psp at PAX (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72269) and now he's saying there was one...

Anything for dramatic effect huh...

mavsman4457
August 27th, 2007, 22:04
This would be hilarious to have a video of this. Oh man that would be sweet.

At the end of the daythere will always be a way to counter Sony efforts , even a security measure by Sony could be a potential exploit.

It's like filling a bucket with holes , you can only keep it up for so long.

It really does seem like that but once you think about the PS3 scene and it's firmwares that have stood the force of the hackers working on it then you begin to think that maybe Sony's begun to wise up. I really hope that Dark_AleX and Fanjita will someday consider working on the PS3. That would be a great day.

Safari Al
August 27th, 2007, 22:12
Yeah in the end i believe there will always be a way to hack it

ShinetsuYuki
August 27th, 2007, 22:14

i think he meant about the consumers and their own psps not the ones being showed at the expo floor.

Sterist
August 27th, 2007, 22:15
shhh.... keep anything pandora related on the low till the slim is released

dont want to blow off any chance of 64mb-ram homebrew

mike_jmg
August 27th, 2007, 22:22
Damn, he said he just got a blank screen, so the current files doesn't work

I hoped it could work as it is, damn, damn and re damn

but in the end we'll get there

burrito
August 27th, 2007, 22:52
This would be hilarious to have a video of this. Oh man that would be sweet.
no video but I did find pictures of the girls lol
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/24/pax-07-sony-tethers-psp-slims-to-cute-girls-awkwardness-ensue/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/08/pspslimgal1.jpg
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/08/pspslimgal2.jpg
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/08/pspslimgal3.jpg

Buddy4point0
August 27th, 2007, 23:01
i reall hope it does work in the slim. i want custom firmware on my slim, that'd be awsome

paladinja
August 27th, 2007, 23:35
Nice FIND burrito! Way to put a face....and stuff... on the story!

So did Sony pick these girls because PSPslims should be kept....(wait for it).... in the shade?

(*)ahhurbabababur(*)

{ahem} sorry, but wtf.

CaptainMorgan4
August 28th, 2007, 00:05
Yeah girl 1 got a nice rack, but yeah I like the silver slim one and if we get homebrew on these things the sky is the limit.

hacksparrow
August 28th, 2007, 00:07
that's weird, cause i thought the slim would use a completely different shaped battery, but it seems they are a similar shape?

Demi
August 28th, 2007, 00:19
I'm no expert but isn't it possible that the PSP slim isn't capable of running 1.5 firmware? In that case might it be possible to write custom firmware with Pandora's Battery without downgrading to 1.5? You would have to make a few modifications to the kernel of course but with a bit of hard work it might just work.

burrito
August 28th, 2007, 00:38
I'm no expert but isn't it possible that the PSP slim isn't capable of running 1.5 firmware? In that case might it be possible to write custom firmware with Pandora's Battery without downgrading to 1.5? You would have to make a few modifications to the kernel of course but with a bit of hard work it might just work.
the slim psp has a new motherboard (TA-085). this might require something similar to idstorage patching for the ta-082/86 downgraders, but we don't know yet becasue psp slim hasn't been released

Nicko01
August 28th, 2007, 02:24
It's not that unsigned code ran, its that SERVICE MODE IS TRIGGERED THE SAME WAY.
If it flashed, thats just because it tried to load the ipl off of the memory stick.
It also may mean it loaded the ipl, but it didn't work correctly.
And i am sure that you cant just run 1.50 on the slim. It's not that simple.

Another thing, why did they go to ta-085?
the numbers make no sence.
Ta-079
Ta-081 (skips 80)
Ta-082
Ta-086 (skips 83-85)
Ta-085 (back to 85)

Cokemusic
August 28th, 2007, 02:39
It's not that unsigned code ran, its that SERVICE MODE IS TRIGGERED THE SAME WAY.
If it flashed, thats just because it tried to load the ipl off of the memory stick.
It also may mean it loaded the ipl, but it didn't work correctly.
And i am sure that you cant just run 1.50 on the slim. It's not that simple.

Another thing, why did they go to ta-085?
the numbers make no sence.
Ta-079
Ta-081 (skips 80)
Ta-082
Ta-086 (skips 83-85)
Ta-085 (back to 85)

Make it apear to be a huge technological advancement in PSP technology or they failed on 115 new PSP motherboard types.

yoshinatsu
August 28th, 2007, 06:04
OH, OH ,OH! WAIT, WAIT!
That means... we may ALREADY have homebrew on the PSP Slim?? :rofl:
I KNOW (and we ALL know;) ) that homebrew would have been available from the very FIRST time our devs got their hands on a slim one, but it's ALREADY HERE?!?!?!?!
Haha. Let us see the Slim run homebrew, AND TAKE ADVANTAGE of those video-outs and 32MB more RAMs :p

Murdock
August 28th, 2007, 07:54
the slim psp has a new motherboard (TA-085). this might require something similar to idstorage patching for the ta-082/86 downgraders, but we don't know yet becasue psp slim hasn't been released

the post burrito quotes and his own are the first posts here for TWO PAGES that are meaningful.

I mean of course this doesn't work ... :rolleyes: ... as burrito says, it's a very different hardware. This is like trying to get a NVidia graphics card to work with an ATI driver ... (maybe not as blatant as that, but close to it). But the important thing is that the psp slim REACTED on the signaly from the Pandora battery. I am no expert in electronics and hardware exploits, but I think I comprehend how pandora worx ... basically, this battery is a "key" to load the stuff needed to flash anything w/o the need of a Firmware. Then it points to the memstick, which holds the data that is needed and which is flashed after the battery tells the psp where to get the information (on the memstick).

So why do u think sony would change this method of flashing/repairing? They have their own repair tools working like this and changing the method would require ALL Sony repair centers (or whatever they call their service facilities) to be stocked with entirely new machines. Can u imagine who expensive this is?! Sony already sold the first psp at the beginning for les money than the actual production cost. But I doubt that the components were that expensive or the soldering together ... it's more likely that the "miscellanious" stuff was damn expensive I think ...

It's way more likely that they'll try to block methods like pandorry with some kind of software protection. But since they were not aware that the hackers know about this ... let's call it exploit ... and are able to create a battery and a memstick being able to flash, they didn't do anything against it. And now, that close to the release date of the psp slim, they can not do anything, since they don't have enough time.

I think once the experts here get their hands on the new machine and are able to get a copy/dumb of the firmware, M33 and Co. can easyily produce a new CFW, which has to be flashed on the PSP Slim by the pandora battery. The question is how ... but I give $ony 14 days till they have to knock their heads against the wall again :D and some "big bosses" commit harakiri :thumbup:

Veskgar
August 28th, 2007, 08:48

I believe that is exactly what Dark_AleX himself had touched on over @ MaxConsole. To even read Dark_AleX comment at all about PSP Slim is just too damn exciting.

However unlikely, it sure would be nice to see the PSP slim bring back all of the old coders and emulators from the gool ol' days.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 28th, 2007, 10:17
Hell yeah, way to go!! u sneaky little thing!!!! I think the psp slim will be hack, it's just a matter of time!

froggie22
August 28th, 2007, 10:49
sorry guys but this has been comfirmed not to work.. the light he saw was just the memory card light flashing and not the wifi and memory card.
and this news of the guy testing it is a few days old now so this news was posted a bit late.
here (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=76406)is the thread

Kramer
August 28th, 2007, 10:55
sorry guys but this has been comfirmed not to work.. the light he saw was just the memory card light flashing and not the wifi and memory card.
and this news of the guy testing it is a few days old now so this news was posted a bit late.
here (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=76406)is the thread

How do you know who is lying and who isnt?;)

Im sure the Slim will be hacked soon enough:)

hacksparrow
August 28th, 2007, 13:21
I believe that is exactly what Dark_AleX himself had touched on over @ MaxConsole. To even read Dark_AleX comment at all about PSP Slim is just too damn exciting.

However unlikely, it sure would be nice to see the PSP slim bring back all of the old coders and emulators from the gool ol' days.

haha like humma kavula & mph? man i thought yoshihiro disappeared & poof he help on pandora!

Murdock
August 28th, 2007, 13:25
ehm folks ... the fact that the chinese ppl. inserted the pandora battery and nothing happens means NOTHING ... I think the fact that the screen turns black is pretty interesting, since then something happens ... maybe some minor changes in the code of the data which is on the pandora battery may make it possible that it works with the slim model.

And ... have u seen the pictures of this PSP slim of thos chinese people? I think it's strange tha there is no mac adress for the psp ... look at this picture where they show the PSP name and the Firmware version ... there is an entry "Mac Adress", but there's just a "-" ... very strange I think ... isn't it?

Anyway .. time will tell :)

V3N0M
August 28th, 2007, 14:40
Keep in mind that if the PSP Slim doesn't get hacked now it will eventually. It’s just unfortunate that Pandora could very well have been that first hack but still very well could be. Also like we've seen with hacks in the past "There's more than one way to skin a cat.." We've seen hacks that have either been updated to work again ( GTA ) or entirely new ideas. There is no doubt in my mind that Pandora will eventually hack the PSP Slim. That’s why I’m getting one at launch because knowing Sony they will find another way to block it from working.

pimp12
August 28th, 2007, 17:14
ah fack i thought it would have worked..............

Emeriastone
August 28th, 2007, 19:26
Guys, don't jump to conclusions, don't get cocky too soon or too hopeful.

Qmark
August 28th, 2007, 19:51
I'm no expert but isn't it possible that the PSP slim isn't capable of running 1.5 firmware? Not only 'possible', but very damn likely.

They'll get cracked eventually, if not sooner.

Exophase
August 28th, 2007, 20:30
the post burrito quotes and his own are the first posts here for TWO PAGES that are meaningful.

I mean of course this doesn't work ... :rolleyes: ... as burrito says, it's a very different hardware. This is like trying to get a NVidia graphics card to work with an ATI driver ... (maybe not as blatant as that, but close to it).

Somehow I don't think so, a better analogy would be the same video chipset released under two different retailer boards.

Lodis
August 28th, 2007, 20:43

The Psp slim will definately not be capable of running 1.5 firmware. However, Dark Alex has said that due to the Pandora service mode, 3.X kernel IPL should be possible. In other words Custom firmware that no longer relys on the 1.5 kernel to boot can be created.

hacksparrow
August 29th, 2007, 04:34
Not only 'possible', but very damn likely.

They'll get cracked eventually, if not sooner.same with ta82. it's native was 2.6 & above, but that didn't stop us heeheehee

sourced
August 29th, 2007, 09:59
thank god dark alex is back

JPJunkie
August 29th, 2007, 10:18
:rofl: :thumbup: This guy is a legend!:thumbup: :rofl:

mavsman4457
August 29th, 2007, 18:04
The PSP Slim's hardware can't be that different from the phat PSP's because they both need to update with the same firmware updates.