PDA

View Full Version : 0.5 MapThis and GMDL

Denisottawa
August 28th, 2007, 04:13
Hello Deniska and In7ane,
Thanks a lot for your nice job.:thumbup:
I had MapThis 0.4 - 0.499 , and now use 0.5 MapThis and 0.5.00 b GMDL.
05 works much more stable, but it seems to me that for driving I prefer map view not a birdeye. May be i have to get accustomed to it. :confused:
One thing I would like to see at future MapThis editions is the possibility to be out of the map without permanent flashing warhings.
Because of the size problem for my trips sometimes I use more than 20 different maps for MapThis and I have to switch them while driving. Sometimes they do not overlap and I look at the flashing warning for 2-5 minutes before I get to a new map. May be there are possibilities to show the warning and then to display my position on the screen outside of the map? like some routes of POI do.
May be the program can show the distance to the map border or just coordinates with a small warning?

The second question is about GMDL :thumbup:
I have highspeed and used GMDL for cutting map, hybrid and Toporama maps (with help from In7ane). My PSP map collection now is more than 3.5 GB (mostly Canada). But yesterday I tried to cut a hybrid Google map and in 20 minutes got :confused:
Google Satellites tile test failed
May be an idea to change connection
Best regards
In7ane

:)
I disconnected and connected again (with new IP) - and the problem dissapeared (for another 20 min). What is it? With big maps it's not a very comfortable way of cutting. MS VE does not have HQ sat view of some regions so i can not change the source. What could be done here?

And the last question.
Guys, vy russkie? ili net?

Best regards,
Denis

deniska
August 28th, 2007, 04:41
1) eventually I'll look in to overlaping maps
2) google has a limit on sat imagery download per ip, which is rather small, so you'll need to keep re-connecting... - no easy workaround... you can use other vendors though..
3) nu a kto esho :-)

swallowtail
September 6th, 2007, 22:41
Hello.
I have 2 feature requests for GMDL:

1) My main complaint is: the shape and content of the map window in the browse window is sometimes very different from what what you end up downloading. I realize this might be hard to do. Alternately, I suppose it would be great if GMDL would just draw a box around the portion of the map that will actually be downloaded.
2) Perhaps this is just a personal issue. I have to say that the first time I tried GMDL, I almost gave up the whole thing. For several hours I was trying to take satellite images from google. I didn't even realize microsoft had a map download service. Of course, I eventually checked the forums and learned that google was deliberately blocking my downloads. I am wondering if it would make any sense to display a warning message the first time a user tries downloading satellite maps from google? (I suppose this warning could have a check-button to "disable this message in the future".) I feel kind of silly asking for this. But I hate to see other people on the forums getting discouraged, blaming in7ane or MIB42 ("it simply doesn't work") and complaining about GMDL, when it's really google's fault. Sincerely, I think that GMDL is actually an amazingly powerful program.

swallowtail
September 6th, 2007, 22:45
I never got around to thanking deniska/mib42/in7ane. Thank you. It's awsome. If sony ever gives any of you a hard time you can say that some of their customers (ie. me) only bought a PSP (and a lot of games for it) because mapthis existed.

Better yet, I could donate $, but I don't know where...
Is there a place to donate to the mapthis/gmdl team?

swallowtail
September 6th, 2007, 22:48
This post is probably not necessary, but by the way:
For a tutorial on how to download satellite images with GMDL for mapthis (using microsoft maps), go here:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60230

Cheers!

swallowtail
September 23rd, 2007, 17:17
[QUOTE=deniska;503677]1) eventually I'll look in to overlaping maps

Alternatively, perhaps it would be sufficient to have mapthis switch between maps when you drive out of one region and into another. This might be easier to implement than attempting to display two maps at once. I realize this might get complicated if the user has two maps covering the same area, especially if some tiles are missing. (Perhaps mapthis could offer a checkbox next to each map name in the list of maps, so the user can indicate whether or not to allow this map to be auto-switched.)

I just used mapthis on a recent trip. It was awesome.