PDA

View Full Version : PSP Slim Menu Changes

wraggster
August 29th, 2007, 21:37
Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/hands_on/some-menu-differences-on-the-psp2k-294743.php) have got their hands on a PSP Slim, heres there findings so far:

I'm still tinkering around with the settings and such on the PSP Slim that just arrived at the house, but I wanted to get a quick post up about some of the differences I've noticed in the settings and such.

The game ships with firmware 3.60 preloaded on the system. There are a lot of menu differences but I found two in the system menu.

UMD Cache: If you set it on you can reduce the frequency at which the system reads from the UMD.
USB Charge: Allows you to charge using USB instead of a A/C.

The system now also has a new menu in Settings that gives you options for when you connect your PSP to your television to either play games or watch a movie.

Connected Display settings
Switch Video Output: You can use this to display video on the television or you can hold in the display button.
TV Type: 16:9 or 4:3
Component /D-Terminal Cable: Lets you select either progressive or interlace output.
Screensaver: Lets you set the timeout for a screensaver from none to 15 minutes.

I still have to play test the thing, check out the video output and compare the screens. More to come.

DarthPaul
August 29th, 2007, 21:42
Duh,we all saw these new icons[features] at the video shown at E3 or something. -_-

burrito
August 29th, 2007, 21:49
when does psp slim come out in the US?

mavsman4457
August 29th, 2007, 22:01
I just can't wait to get USB charging so when I am using Remotejoy I will only need to have the USB cord plugged in and not that stupid charger that would add what seems like two wires.

splodger15
August 29th, 2007, 22:07
3.60 I wonder when we normal PSP owners will recieve this

usp8riot
August 29th, 2007, 22:09
I hope all the emulators won't have to be rewritten. If so, I'm sticking with my portable NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16, etc. I'll definitely upgrade if homebrew is possible and they don't change up a bunch of bullshit to make some homebrew incompatible.

On second thought, I guess it all may not need to be ported but could be rewritten to take advantage of the extra memory.

Boopop
August 29th, 2007, 22:27
Now to get that thing working with the pandora battery...

domthegod
August 29th, 2007, 23:31
Ill give it..... erm...........2/3 month till its stripped till the bone in homebrew. and on eBay for spares and repairs lol.

Squidman
August 29th, 2007, 23:59
there's probably going to be some hardware or software work around for us original PSPers to use the new 3.60 features such as the TV-Out and i'm sure the USB charge will come with the firmware? once it's cracked

sonofsamus
August 30th, 2007, 00:21
there's probably going to be some hardware or software work around for us original PSPers to use the new 3.60 features such as the TV-Out and i'm sure the USB charge will come with the firmware? once it's cracked
No sir, neither of those are doable in software. Not gonna happen. PSP Slim has a different serial port, and the extra hardware required for video-out processing and USB-charging. The only way to get USB charging on the PSP "classic" is to get your hands dirty and do some soldering. Please read older threads before speculating.

Squidman
August 30th, 2007, 02:04
No sir, neither of those are doable in software. Not gonna happen. PSP Slim has a different serial port, and the extra hardware required for video-out processing and USB-charging. The only way to get USB charging on the PSP "classic" is to get your hands dirty and do some soldering. Please read older threads before speculating.

a simple no and point to a thread would have sufficed, but meh, speculation is still fun

Cokemusic
August 30th, 2007, 02:15
Well if he'd had said no you may have questioned him while speculating further.

2 Birds with 1 stone.

Art
August 30th, 2007, 05:50
Now to get that thing working with the pandora battery...

I can't wait until some goofball tries to load PSPhat firmware into one.
What are you going to do with a Pandora battery, and one unexploited firmware version?
If the TV out was possible with the current PSP, we would have it.

UMD cache?
With reguard to the UMD cache to RAM option.. I wonder why that would be an option?

pkmaximum
August 30th, 2007, 07:01
Its interesting to see what good 32 more mb. of ram could do for homebrew, mainly I want to see big improvements in n64 =) But the same question that everyone has, its a matter of cracking it.

Oh and ART, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you don't need an exploited PSP and the PANDORA battery at the current time can downgrade any PSP exploited or not. So it may be a matter of figuring out how to get PANDORA to work with the new PSP.

And to assume that SONY fixed that since the PANDORA came available may not be the case, since the units were already shipped when it came available to the homebrew scene so its possible first to get the PSP Slim will expierence homebrew sooner?

Art
August 30th, 2007, 07:43
Downgrade it to what?
There's only one firmware.

Even if PSPhat fw worked with the PSP slim, there'd still be
little point other than the obvious smaller PSP unit.
the extra RAM wouldn't even be available.

I do see the point if 3.60 is exploited.

MicroNut
August 30th, 2007, 08:22
If it is hacked a flash to version 3.60 OE
or similar sounds appropriate...

JPJunkie
August 30th, 2007, 11:10
I hope if homebrew does get to the psp slim that coders will not just code apllications for it as it has more ram because I don't want to be forced to buy the psp slim if that makes sense

sappo
August 30th, 2007, 11:41
Downgrade it to what?
There's only one firmware.

Even if PSPhat fw worked with the PSP slim, there'd still be
little point other than the obvious smaller PSP unit.
the extra RAM wouldn't even be available.

I do see the point if 3.60 is exploited.

Yeah, right. 1.5 won't probably work on PSP Slim, so if someone doesn't exploit it, no chances of going homebrew.

So, no use for Pandora Battery.

hacksparrow
August 30th, 2007, 11:59
3.60 holy moly!!! PSP360 & gears of war yeah! LoL

i wonder wot other things will be omitted for phat users

jxx2005
August 30th, 2007, 13:44
why does sony hate us so?

o1mlc
August 30th, 2007, 14:02
I think that people are using “exploited” to mean different things here...

I agree with Art, Micronut and Sappo even if you could use Pandora to downgrade a PSP Slim to firmware 1.5 and then upgrade that to M33 3.52-4 or Wildcard etc. etc. then it’d be pretty pointless as it would be unlikely that homebrew could utilise the extra memory under such a firmware, and as previously stated, impossible to use the main new features of TV out and USB charging without a “exploited” 3.60 FW.

Hopefully once Sony’s official FW 3.60 is released and those with the know-how get to work on it, we’ll hopefully have a custom fimware M33 3.60 or Wildcard 3.60 that can be used... The only worry is if the Pandora does not work for PSP Slim, or cannot be fixed to do so, then ironically it’ll only be original PSP’s that be able to run an “exploited” 3.60 firmware and the old hardware won’t be able to use the newer features..!

I think we should all keep our fingers crossed that either the Pandora does, or can be easily altered to, work on PSP Slim and that a hacked firmware 3.60 will allow for better homebrew utilising the extra memory. I suppose that those with the know-how may be able to figure out another way of downgrading a 3.60 PSP Slim through some new exploit yet to be discovered, though this would likely be some way off so for the short to medium term it’ll be Pandora or bust...

As an aside, I’d personally be interested in getting the PSP Slim homebrew enabled so that you could play PSP on the TV with Xbox 360 pad (as per http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72332) as I often would play FFTA on my GBA Player on my Gamecube then take it on the move with my GBA SP. I’d like that option too for FFT for the PSP once it’s out in English as whilst some PSP games are inherently “portable” (read barely tolerable for 20 minutes maximum!) for some games it would be much more preferable to play on a larger TV and also the cheaper Xbox 360 pad can take the abuse rather than the relatively expensive PSP Slim..!

kjetil1991
August 30th, 2007, 17:28
sooon 3.60 is ours in custom firmware =)

jurkevicz
August 30th, 2007, 19:59
Hopefully the "Apple Theme" will work with the new firmware.

Buddy4point0
August 30th, 2007, 23:38
cool, i hope they dont stop making firmwares for the old psp. neways im getting tihs first day its out

Zerogamer
August 31st, 2007, 00:51
I was wondering if sony upgraded there motherboard

Art
August 31st, 2007, 01:49
It appears so if yuo check Ookm's site.