PDA

View Full Version : OpenPandora is NOT dead!

wraggster
November 23rd, 2013, 22:38
via http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14938-openpandora-is-not-dead/

Just thought I'd make a quick news post here in the official news section, as Craigs downfall of OpenPandora Ltd. is currently going through the news and to his remaining customers.

One important thing upfront:

OpenPandora Ltd. in UK is NOT OpenPandora GmbH in Germany

I am the owner of OpenPandora GmbH in Germany, and that company does not have ANY money issues or similar. All of my preorder customers have received their units quite a while ago and production is still running strong (though we're currently out of units until the next batch in December arrives).
And yes, a successor of the Pandora is being planned. And no, I cannot tell you when it will be ready (probably 2 months™ http://boards.openpandora.org/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png)

What does that mean for still waiting customer of OpenPandora Ltd.?

Not much. OP Ltd. has been unable to pay refunds for quite a while now.
The reason we created the survey was that OpenPandora GmbH and the community can help Craigs remaining preorders, regardless what happens with OpenPandora Ltd.
You will still be able to get the Pandora for a discounted price or with the help of the community donations.

BTW: My shop is now also accepting Bitcoins, and as they have risen significantly in value lately, it's a good way to get your upgrade in case you had bitcoins lying around for a while now.

So:
As long as there are Pandoras available, everyone of Craigs remaining customer can get them for production cost or lower (with community donations).

Well... that does lead us to another question:
When will the Pandora REALLY be dead?

We've only got a limited amount of parts, and some are already end of life so we can't buy anymore.
The production of the final Pandora batch has been started. There will be 500 more 1GHz and 150 more Rebirth units.
Well... and that's that. There will be a few more classics, but after that, production will most probably stop (unless we get a huge demand so it makes sense to change the PCB design to replace a few end-of-life parts...)

When all Pandoras have been sold - what happens to the remaining preorders?

No worries, the money will STILL not be lost.
Hopefully, most of the remaining Pandoras will go to Craigs remaining customers, but you never know.
In case there still are some left, then I'll move that discount over to the successor... even though I cannot tell you when it will be released.