PDA

View Full Version : Dutch would allow Manhunt 2 release

wraggster
August 30th, 2007, 17:09
Seems that the Dutch cant do a thing about the release of Manhunt 2, heres the details from Gibiz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28207)

Although Rockstar still has no plans to release the game in Europe until further notice

Manhunt 2, effectively banned in the UK and Germany, and only recently granted an M rating in the US after changes were made to the code, would be allowed on shelves in Holland, but only if Rockstar decided to go ahead and publish the game in Europe.

Currently the title has been axed while the result of an appeal against the British Board of Film Classification's initial decision to refuse the game a rating is pending, although there's no indication as to how long that process may take.

But in a recent development, according to an Associated Press report, the Dutch government is actually unable to apply a ban to the game.

This is because, as Justice Minister Ernst Hirsch Ballin wrote, the country's laws are based on "the principle that every adult is considered capable of deciding for himself which games he wants to play, unless it contains illegal material."

That illegal material would include racist propaganda or material appealing to paedophiles, neither of which is contained in Manhunt 2.

Therefore a scenario might arise in which the game, while banned in the UK and Germany, could be released in other PAL territories, such as Holland.

However, this is speculation at this point, and as a Rockstar spokesperson reiterated to GamesIndustry.biz today, the company's position has not changed since the original BBFC decision.

Holland doesn't have its own ratings board for videogames, and Ballin stated that while his ministry was looking at whether new laws were required to address situations such as this, he hoped that the EU might come up with "a joint approach [that] could lead to a ban on the most violent games."

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/Dutch_would_allow_Manhunt_2_release) - Lets all move to Holland :)

http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/Dutch_would_allow_Manhunt_2_release

DarthPaul
August 30th, 2007, 17:16
Smells like a lot of people will be importing...

M rated for the US!? I didn't knew that woo! Great news!

maxipower90
August 30th, 2007, 17:25
up the Dutch, take no prisoners

jojotjuh
August 30th, 2007, 18:41
I actually live there :D
coolness (H)
so uuhm, you guys all come live here, tell me, i'll come visit you :P

alexvander
August 30th, 2007, 20:24
this is sweet since im dutch. it i dont think they will ever ban the game cause a violent video game isnt that bad compared to other things since they let you smoke weed and pot there and allow hookers

jojotjuh
August 30th, 2007, 20:28
this is sweet since im dutch. it i dont think they will ever ban the game cause a violent video game isnt that bad compared to other things since they let you smoke weed and pot there and allow hookers

tru dat
thay arrest people without lights on their bikes here, and when someone is ealing drugs here, they're like, oh lets have a donut xD
they always come too late

eh, anyway, if they really aren't gonna ban it, you guys better import from over here :)

Hawq
August 30th, 2007, 21:16
Import store owners will think its christmas

VampDude
August 30th, 2007, 21:39
I like the Dutch, hopefully they will get it soon...

...Then I can have danish pastries and play Manhunt 2! (all from Danish/Dutch land) :p

jerrt
August 30th, 2007, 21:45
they are getting it, but have they said what the release date would be?

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 30th, 2007, 22:44
cool for the dutches!! and does anyone know if the ducth version will have a english langurage option in it? coz i don't know a single word in dutch.

tuddy
August 31st, 2007, 19:21
Hmm, looks like I'm gonna need to learn how to import a violent videogame from the Netherlands, and then get it into britain without the BBFC knowing that I'm screwing the rules because I have money.

Yay for poorly-disguised yugioh abridged quotes.

VampDude
September 3rd, 2007, 01:15
cool for the dutches!! and does anyone know if the ducth version will have a english langurage option in it? coz i don't know a single word in dutch.

It should be changeable from the start, or from the option menu which I should think is easy to access! :D

stefh
September 3rd, 2007, 20:02
We Dutch people don't like translated games! We like English! We could work with subtitles though for the dumb people over here.
We only do voice overs/dubbing for media that is suitable for children. But even the cool children like the original versions much more.

Guess you would like us to provide you all with the game, huh?

The Dutch government is like:
Well, if we forbid something, then it will be a lot more attrective for a lot of people to still get that forbidden stuff than when it is legalized. I never got that. I never did drugs... But according to the government I was if it was illegal ;)
I guess people like to live on the edge ;)