PDA

View Full Version : PSP Slim Hands on at Gamestop

wraggster
September 1st, 2007, 15:16
Heres an excerpt:

The new PSP is a slimmer, lighter version of the original, with a few new features. The system plays the exact same games, but now it has a video output port that lets you connect the PSP to an external display, such as an HDTV, for big-screen playback. The system also has a simplified UMD loading tray, 32MB more system memory, lower power consumption, a smaller battery, and can now charge via USB. The new PSP will replace the current system this September. Systems will be available in Piano Black, Ice Silver, and Ceramic White. They'll come in various retail packages with a variety of bundle options that include pack-in games, UMD movies, memory sticks, and, in the case of the white PSP, a Darth Vader silk-screened battery cover.

The Ice Silver PSP will ship with the Daxter PSP Entertainment Pack.

While it was nice to check out the new PSP's redesigned features at E3, what we really wanted to do was pull out a few games and test how the new portable handles load times with its extra built-in memory and fancy UMD-caching system. That agenda was first in our minds when we opened up the shipping box, but we got sidetracked when we noticed that the background display color on the new PSP was different from the color on our original PSPs. It turns out that our new PSP actually has more background-theme color options, 28 compared to the old PSP's 13 color options. We've asked Sony if the new colors are available only on the new PSP, or if they'll be included in the 3.60 firmware update, which is the version we had on the new PSP. Unfortunately, our Sony contacts haven't gotten back to us yet.

Sony has finally responded to consumer demand for more PSP background-color themes.

After solving the color mystery, we were distracted from memory testing once again. The new PSP feels like it offers better controls, and so we decided to examine the controller inputs to see if we could detect any physical reasons that would justify this feeling. We didn't have to look very hard. All we needed to do was turn the system flat to see that the buttons on the D pad are raised slightly higher on the new system, which makes game control so much better.

The directional pad buttons on the new PSP (left) stand higher for improved control.

Finally, we got to the memory-load testing. You'll find the new "UMD Cache" option in the System Settings Menu. According to the scrolling description, enabling the UMD Cache will "reduce the frequency at which the system reads from the UMD." We enabled the UMD-caching feature and tested a few games to see if it had any affect on load times. UMD caching requires an initial memory load, so we also tested how fast the games could load up levels after we first started and exited a game to preload the data into system memory. We had time to test out only three games, but early results indicate that the additional system memory and UMD caching really do help speed up initial game launches, as well as subsequent level reloads.

More info and screens (http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6177882/index.html?tag=topslot;title;1)

mike_jmg
September 1st, 2007, 15:58
So the D-pad works better, man, Now I'm really gonna get one

Lodis
September 1st, 2007, 16:13
So the D-pad works better, man, Now I'm really gonna get one

You can do a simple modification on your original Psp to improve the responsiveness of the Dpad by a huge amount. Do a google for Ufighter dpad mod and you will see. I did this and it is excellent!

Buddy4point0
September 1st, 2007, 16:35
the analog stick looks much better aswell, but theres a gap under it and that seams like it could let dust in. i like the new d pad though, and the new umd drive. i didnt like it when it would shoot out, i dropped my psp, the umd shot out into a wall and broke.

Cokemusic
September 1st, 2007, 18:42
i didnt like it when it would shoot out, i dropped my psp, the umd shot out into a wall and broke.

But it musta been cool to look at :D

burrito
September 1st, 2007, 18:52
This is from Gamespot (a video game site), not Gamestop (a video game store). You should change the title.

I'm not getting the psp slim though. I have about $200, and will get a 30gb mp3/video player instead (probably zen vision m), because I have over 13gbs of music, and it's way too expensive to have that music much on a psp.
And I already have a psp, and most of the psp slim's new features are pointless, so I'm not getting another psp.

Solidsnake3000
September 1st, 2007, 21:23
I already have a psp, and most of the psp slim's new features are pointless, so I'm not getting another psp.

I Agree because sooner or later someone is gonna make those features good for the fat yet perfect PSP.
But I still might buy me the PSP because of
FF VII : Crisis core :D :D :D :thumbup:

burrito
September 1st, 2007, 22:31
I Agree because sooner or later someone is gonna make those features good for the fat yet perfect PSP.
But I still might buy me the PSP because of
FF VII : Crisis core :D :D :D :thumbup:
I'm not getting one right away. Maybe I'll get one in December if it's hacked by then.

ish420ism
September 2nd, 2007, 16:33
What color is the FFVII CC pack??
The silver slim looks too awsome

edit. It's SILVER!!!. Now I want one
Too bad. I think they quickly sell out
I guess daxter it is.

burrito
September 2nd, 2007, 16:49
What color is the FFVII CC pack??
The silver slim looks too awsome

edit. It's SILVER!!!. Now I want one
Too bad. I think they quickly sell out
I guess daxter it is.
the CC pack is $400 :eek: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9e-49-en-15-psp+slim-70-25kr.html

ish420ism
September 3rd, 2007, 06:44
the CC pack is $400 :eek: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9e-49-en-15-psp+slim-70-25kr.html

$400? EEK is right.
DAXTER PACK IT IS:rolleyes: :D