PDA

View Full Version : Datels PR Disaster or Not?

wraggster
September 1st, 2007, 15:25
http://us.codejunkies.com/images/psp_bat_promo/psp_battery_offer_header_us.gif

Datel have released some great gadgets over the years but last night it was discovered that Datel have released a new Tool Version battery which has features very close to team C+Ds Pandora release. Now as far as i know no one has verified if it has anything to do with the pandora release or indeed the person who leaked it in the first place.

As most PSP Scene fans will know the release of Pandora lets you downgrade and unbrick PSP Consoles.

Now if it wasnt made using the Pandora release then its really a great release for those who need to unbrick/downgrade their consoles.

At this time i say its time to find out facts before jumping the gun, although if its a rip off of pandora then Datel do need to donate towards team C+D. From an outsiders point of view into the PSP Scene you are getting a service mode battery and spare battery for 25$ (£12), which is decent.

More Details (http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=18&i=9117&s=24)

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Datels_PR_Disaster_or_Not)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Datels_PR_Disaster_or_Not

Airdevil
September 1st, 2007, 16:02
The price is for EITHER the tool or the normal battery. So youd be paying £24 for both.

The battery is good for people for cannot get hold of homebrew psps to create the pandora. However, if the battery uses code from the c+d team then they should donate, and if they dont surely legal action can be taken?

stevo11185
September 1st, 2007, 16:08
The price is for EITHER the tool or the normal battery. So youd be paying £24 for both.

The battery is good for people for cannot get hold of homebrew psps to create the pandora. However, if the battery uses code from the c+d team then they should donate, and if they dont surely legal action can be taken?

Nope, first of all, Sony might have something to say about this. Lets just wait and see what happens. I think that if this is classed as reverse engineering then Sony will SUE!!!!!!!!!!

Cokemusic
September 1st, 2007, 16:13
I wonder what sony has to say about this.

Maybe Datel gave team C+D the code to make their release more reasonable , maybe i'm overthinking.

Nicko01
September 1st, 2007, 16:15
Yes, i think sony will sue them.
Datel sucks anyway with their cheap products. I'll be happy when their company fails and disappears.

stevo11185
September 1st, 2007, 16:19
:( but Datel do the Wifi Max....That allows me to play ad-hoc with people from the other side of the world with Xlink. They do have some good products, but i think they went a bit too far with this.

mnuhaily22
September 1st, 2007, 16:21
Big Mistake Is All I'm Gonna Say...

Khorney
September 1st, 2007, 16:23
umm...isn't the "wi-fi max" just an over-priced usb wireless adaptor that you can get anywhere? Their AR media player for the PS2 isn't bad though, but again, thats just a rip off of swap magic with crappified functionality

Buddy4point0
September 1st, 2007, 16:31
this is such a rip off of the pandora. BUT if this works with the slim, it might be able to be hacked to downgrade it

DarthPaul
September 1st, 2007, 16:35
Good "idea". I might gonna get one so I don't have to do this process every time I wish to downgrade or unbrick.

Yes, i think sony will sue them.
Datel sucks anyway with their cheap products. I'll be happy when their company fails and disappears.

Hahaha what the hell?

solid12345
September 1st, 2007, 16:49
Easy for people to wish death on a company but what about the employees and families who work there.

What is the big deal about Datel anyway? Yeah their products are ripoffs sometimes but at least you can find them on US store shelves instead of having to order the shady underground merchandise from hong kong.

cDub
September 1st, 2007, 16:49
I really hope they didnt steal from c+d. The scene cant afford to loose anymore coders. If its stolen, this is wayyyyy worse than the ebay asshats.

EvilDooinz
September 1st, 2007, 17:14
What a rip off! $24 for 1 battery. I ordered my battery from hong-kong for about $7.50 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2149) usd and shiped for free to the states. Then converted it myself. btw unless you have the ms to go with this witch is illegal to sell it is pretty much useless.
thanks noobz.eu

thefanaticgamer
September 1st, 2007, 17:49
its not necessarily useless without the ms do we even know what exactly this does do? or is it a confirmed commercial unbricker(or even pandora masked under datel?).

can anyone confirm anything yet?

EDIT: "Please note: The TOOL functionality is hard-coded to put the PSP into service mode. The standard version cannot be changed to have this functionality so please choose the version you require when ordering."

I guess that means that anyone who took a normal battery and turned it into a pandora battery is doing the impossible.... they arent even telling the truth that you cant code a regular battery....

Cokemusic
September 1st, 2007, 18:40
I think Datel would have thought about the implications of releasing such an item , including the possibility of being sued by Sony.

A lawsuit is unlikely.

bah
September 1st, 2007, 19:35

Maybe Datel gave team C+D the code to make their release more reasonable , maybe i'm overthinking.

I believe you misspelled 'under' as 'over'.

stevo11185
September 1st, 2007, 19:49

i think he misspelled overthinking when it should be over-reacting.

Andrew Shand
September 1st, 2007, 19:57
I have a feeling Datel r gonna get sued by Sony... Atleast there's ONE company that agrees with the use of custom firmware etc...

Cokemusic
September 1st, 2007, 20:10

:rofl: You come up with that all by yourself ?

schluptnut
September 1st, 2007, 20:29
IF you dumbf****s are smart you wouldnt brick the psp in the first place. I bought my psp at 1.5 when it came out the first month, on my birthday. (I celebrate the psps bday the same time I celebrate my own b***s!) I was kicking it with pvnc. I upgraded to 2.0 after learning about the web browser, cause I didnt wait on that one guy to make the homebrew version, it was just text. I learned about the hombrew on 2.0 and played nes and genesis for a bit. Then I got games like gits and star wars battlefront, requiring me to upgrade. I was up to 2.8 afterwords. Then I had to go and purchase GTA to play homebrew. Shortly after that, I learned how to play and download full UMD isos. Man, what a ride. Now Im playing bust a groove on psx emulator and doa with M33 and listening to my own music in games. It is so hott. I havent been bored at all since psp came out.

EvilDooinz
September 1st, 2007, 22:06
lol what do you intend on doing with service mode battery if you can't boot anyting off ms because you just bought the battery and have no access to homebrew console.

Vega
September 1st, 2007, 23:04
Only thing I can think of is they supply the relevant files on their website or on a cd-rom.. ready to place onto your memory card... not too sure.

Still, I think this is kinda sketchy. Looks like they are profiting off pandora...

interesting to see Sony's reaction to this.

MicroNut
September 1st, 2007, 23:27
How hard would it be for a manufacture to produce batteries with all 1's for the serial #
(and how cheap could they make them?)

Then no Pandora required to make the battery.

Then they probably provide the rest of the required "software" as a web link.

Profiting off of others work is Datels way of making money.

As human beings I hope they all live long and healthy lives.

But it does not mean I have to respect them.
Or support what the do by buying their products.

cataphrax
September 2nd, 2007, 00:05
Just playing devils advocate here, but arent we all jumping to conclusions by saying that datel ripped team c+d off? Has anyone proved that datel has code from pandoras battry in it's tool battery? Has anyone proved that datel didnt make this battery first. Its entirely possible and even a little likely that team c+d ripped datel off. While none of these statements represent my personal opinion, I think that nobody should be flaming datel till some definite proof of foul play.

Fanjita
September 2nd, 2007, 00:18

Let's be clear - nobody supplied any materials that went into Pandora. It was all developed from the ground up.

But also, if Datel are making these batteries, then they're not stealing anything from us, or Sony for that matter. The battery is simply a Sony battery clone with a special serial number. There is no way that we could in any sensible way claim that as our intellectual property, although of course our program to create the battery from an ordinary one can be said to be copyrighted.

Now, if they also supply the software for the memory stick, then that is a serious issue. They would need to be illegally reselling either Sony's code, or ours (which is actually both, if supplied in a ready-made form).

Personally, I think that if they're supplying just cheap ready-made batteries, then that's no big deal - and maybe even a good thing. But if they're supplying software too, that's a whole new ball-game.

I do have an issue with the facts they are claiming though - it's just about believable that their plain batteries have now been converted to a read-only EEPROM (but why?), but I find it highly dubious that the TOOL battery can be used as a normal battery (without conversion back), as they claim.

Cokemusic
September 2nd, 2007, 02:11
Forgive me , I tend to over-speculate at times.

ohnonotme
September 2nd, 2007, 04:07
maybe datel figured out how to sign their own ipl?
its a possibility but unlikely
if so then im prolly gonna buy one because the only person i know who can help me make a pandora battery wont let me
EDIT:
but only if it is all legal and isnt ripping off C+D

ab88
September 2nd, 2007, 04:52
Option 1. They are just selling batteries with a changed serial number.

Option 2. The batteries they sell have also the IPL and firmware (Maybe like C+D, they found (Or copied) a way to "sign" their own Code) partition installed in, just like Sony's. As we heard from Jas0nuk (?)

Option 3: They ripped off everything.

lamentofking
September 2nd, 2007, 15:06
max power tool is the battery alone. team c+d discovered pandora and magic memory stick. its like buying paper towels. they all do the same thing, but diff brands and each brand has a certain twist or mod to make it a little bit unique. You cant say that datel ripped off team c+d. Do you know how long it takes to produce stuff like this? Besides ppl were already selling pre-pandora made batteries, after team c+d discovered it, online.

Basically its like this: If you can already run homebrew, then dont worry about max power tool. If you have sony official firmware and dont want to give your psp to someone else to unlock it for you, then go and get this max power tool. You'll be able to do it yourself.

And thats all there is too it. Datel sells a lot of things that has the purpose of running homebrew(WHICH IS LEGAL!!!) They dont intend for it to be of piracy use. I mean action replay max for ps2 was homebrew and to play movies from diff reigons. but ppl made homebrew that they shouldnt which makes datel look like piracy supporters.

Datel is doing nothing wrong people. nothing wrong at all.

P.S. Pandora may not work with psp slim but max power tool might. It it doesnt, Datel may release another version for psp slim.

cashboxz02
September 2nd, 2007, 19:36
:D
this thing does work on the slim

XioN980
September 3rd, 2007, 12:19
Did the team c+d even release the pandora source for them to steal?

EvilDooinz
September 3rd, 2007, 16:17
it was leaked before the realease (unknow if it was inside leak or security breach)

ohnonotme
September 4th, 2007, 03:14
how do you know?

Johnny Rash
September 4th, 2007, 08:38
Let's just assume Datel thinks their customers want a crappy looking red battery that says "TOOL" so they'll know which battery is which. Seems like a dud to me seeing how you need a homebrew enabled PSP anyway. And if you do have said PSP...I'll assume it has a battery and that you can convert said battery with said PSP.

Johnny Rash
September 4th, 2007, 08:40

Lies and slander.
It's been confirmed not to work on the new PSP-2000.
However, it is though that with slight changes it COULD run it.