PDA

View Full Version : New HomeBrew Handheld Coming - Supposed to be a PSP Beater

wraggster
September 3rd, 2007, 00:22
A new homebrew Handheld is coming soon and apparently it will be a PSP/GP2X Beater with excellent multmedia features and decent 3D and 2D Graphics processor, also will have a touchscreen.

All will be revealed in October

Discussion via comments, fun eh :P

Triv1um
September 3rd, 2007, 00:27
hmmmph.

I have not heard of this?

where is the source?

MasterMunt
September 3rd, 2007, 00:30
Sounds Great :D

mcdougall57
September 3rd, 2007, 00:32
if this is true my psp is going in the bin

Sonicboy 101
September 3rd, 2007, 00:34
Prolly fake

Shadowblind
September 3rd, 2007, 00:34
Realllllly.....any specific company producing it?.....

argor
September 3rd, 2007, 00:36
see
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=38155
and

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=38044&hl=

no wonderer that you people haven herd a thing abodes it go gp2x sites
and get in the gruff:rofl:

wraggster
September 3rd, 2007, 00:58
ive known about it for near on a year.

wont be too long before we see it for real and finally a name for it too

Anonymous D
September 3rd, 2007, 01:02
lets hope its made by profesionalls this time, unklike the gp2x *coughs* if it is rly a psp killer ill buy one as long as it has wifi that is,

gunntims0103
September 3rd, 2007, 01:04
I'll stick to my PSP :p

JKKDARK
September 3rd, 2007, 01:08
Nice, PSP homebrew fans will be angry :)

BrooksyX
September 3rd, 2007, 01:31
This sounds really interesting I can't wait to hear more details.

Welshboy
September 3rd, 2007, 01:57
Sounds interesting..................I somehow doubt it will be a psp beater though. In fact I consider the handheld war a bicameral competition now between nintendo and sony. No other company could possibly hope to provide the funds and technology along with third party developers and exclusives both the big N & S can bring. Both handhelds have a loyal following now.....and you know what they say, "three's a crowd" and all that right?. I'm sticking with Sony though, they had me at hello.........our machine is an emulation monster.

DPyro
September 3rd, 2007, 03:54
It can't be in competition with the PSP if it doesn't have commercial games. Besides, I like actually 'hacking' a console instead of having it handed to me. Something about making a device do stuff its not intended to do.

xernobyl
September 3rd, 2007, 05:25
PSP is quite a technological wonder for it's size. It's hard to beat that at a decent price.

ish420ism
September 3rd, 2007, 07:24
I guess it's from some of the people at Gamepark, without the people that ended up killing the company. Looks to be an interesting gadget. I'm keeping a close eye on this one

Mikey242
September 3rd, 2007, 11:20
I'm sure that when they say it's a psp killer they are reffering to homebrew capabilities only and not the commercial capacity.

cal360
September 3rd, 2007, 11:28
If it's good I might buy it but only depending on the cost of it as right now i'm saving up for other things (Halo 3, Fable 2, Call of duty 4 and so on).

argor
September 3rd, 2007, 11:41
I guess it's from some of the people at Gamepark,
gamepak arenīt making it :cool:

Craigix (gp2x.co.uk) and EvilDragon(gp2x.de) and friends are maken it :cool:

JPJunkie
September 3rd, 2007, 12:14
I'll have to keep my eye on this however I think I will be sticking to my psp

DPyro
September 3rd, 2007, 15:53
I'm sure that when they say it's a psp killer they are reffering to homebrew capabilities only and not the commercial capacity.
I still don't see how this would be a PSP killer. If this costs the same as a PSP which would you rather have, a system with commercial games and homebrew, or one with no commercial games and no homebrew?

yaustar
September 3rd, 2007, 16:35
The latter, reasons:

- Is open from the outset. No hardware hacking, downgrading, etc needed to get homebrew running on the console. The main releases these days for the PSP are CFW or exploits for downgraders.

- Higher resolution touch screen. Allows for a broader range of applications and games.

- Fold/slide out keyboard. Allows for a broader range of applications and games.

- Similar in hardware to the GP2X and supports HW SDL. This means that most software is a recompile away.

- I prefer the main GP2X community over the the PSP's. This is opinionated but I find that the GP2X community is a lot tighter.

Baboon
September 3rd, 2007, 17:08
It can't be in competition with the PSP if it doesn't have commercial games. Besides, I like actually 'hacking' a console instead of having it handed to me. Something about making a device do stuff its not intended to do.

I also like the idea of making the console do something it wasnt originaly intended to do... makes it all sooo much more fun. :thumbup:

This new handheld sounds interesting but ill stick with my psp thank you very much.

mcdougall57
September 3rd, 2007, 19:12
I'll stick to my PSP :p

why not just buy both lol

slik da relic
September 3rd, 2007, 19:50
for it too be good it has to be able to run everything BETTER than the psp runs them rite now, PLUS the systems the psp struggles with (all of MAME, N64, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, ALL the PS1 games with dual analog... and prolly the psp itself)... only then will it be formidable. but honestly, psp plays so many games that i dont mind missin a few systems and games... there's so much now.

da relic

yaustar
September 3rd, 2007, 20:44
Mame: Possible. Emulation is already better on the GP2X then PSP.
N64: No,
Sega CD: Already done on GP2X.
Saturn: Not possible.
Dreamcast: Not possible.
PS1: Likely.

gunntims0103
September 3rd, 2007, 20:52
The PSP has everything i want and need. The new commercial games that are coming out for the system are simply stunning as well. I'm already able to play my PSX games full speed. Theres nothing more i could ask for. :)

argor
September 3rd, 2007, 21:09
N64: maybe if the new Handheld has FPU

Safari Al
September 3rd, 2007, 21:12
yeah i'd stick with my psp no matter what

JKKDARK
September 3rd, 2007, 21:24
I hope it's cheaper than a PSP

yaustar
September 3rd, 2007, 22:32
At the current PSP price point, unlikely again. It be more then the GP2X.

slik da relic
September 4th, 2007, 03:17
Yaustar, how can u say "not possible" when the system is not even out yet?... and N64 is runnin better every week/month whatever... and u can cop "like new" 1.5 PSPs on ebay for $110.00 "buy it now." the system has to be more powerful and be able to equal the Psp in tasks... like games, movies, music obviously... and they would hafta make the hardware very flexible to handle everything... i honestly dont see it happening, unless it was Microsoft or a company with deep pockets as such.

da relic

yaustar
September 4th, 2007, 10:56
This has been discussed in length with the proposed specs in other threads on GP32X forums. N64 emulation can be done just not at speed due to the difference in hardware between the emulated hardware and the hardware the emulator is going to run on.

The PSP was only possible because the similar chipsets on the PSP and N64.

In terms of music and movies, the GP2X already trounces the PSP in most aspects such as being able to play .avis that are in DivX and Xvid without needing re-encoding.

If you read the 101 pages of the gp32x thread that was linked on the first page, you find out how much the possibilities and hardware of the console has been discussed and by whom.

Personally, I am going to support this from the outset. The people behind it wants to get this done right for once, it be almost a crime to not support the console.

Cloudhunter
September 4th, 2007, 12:31
In terms of music and movies, the GP2X already trounces the PSP in most aspects such as being able to play .avis that are in DivX and Xvid without needing re-encoding.

It is also possible to do this on the PSP, it just hasn't been made yet.

I probably won't get one of these, but I think it is good news :) .

Cloudy

yaustar
September 4th, 2007, 13:08
It is also possible to do this on the PSP, it just hasn't been made yet.

I probably won't get one of these, but I think it is good news :) .

Cloudy
It is possible on the PSP at certain resolutions and low bitrates for DivX and Xvid but the GP2X can handle up to 720px and high bitrates natively because it has a hardware decoder, something that the PSP doesn't have. The movie player was always part of the firmware as well so it has been out for as long as the GP2X itself.

Cloudhunter
September 4th, 2007, 13:12
Perhaps, but I'm sure there are ways to get the hardware decoder to decode DivX - there is a post on pspdev about using videocodec.prx or something like that to decode it.

Cloudy

argor
September 6th, 2007, 20:08
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=38155&view=findpost&p=554705

PS chip prices :cool:

SnesR0X
September 7th, 2007, 11:29
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=38155&view=findpost&p=554705

PS chip prices :cool:

lol, do you post a link in every post?

argor
September 7th, 2007, 19:01
see http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=38155&view=findpost&p=554894

from post

The original plan was to make a low cost machine with a good spec (hires screen, lots of ram, mid range but low cost soc etc) however the view of all the threads seems to point that most people want something quite high spec and don't mind paying more for it.

We are taking all this into account, and I hope we can get the balance right (probably the imx31 at the moment).

Everything is now ready to roll once the final decision is made.

cal360
September 7th, 2007, 19:41

I think he does

see http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php...ost&p=55489 4

from post

Quote:
The original plan was to make a low cost machine with a good spec (hires screen, lots of ram, mid range but low cost soc etc) however the view of all the threads seems to point that most people want something quite high spec and don't mind paying more for it.

We are taking all this into account, and I hope we can get the balance right (probably the imx31 at the moment).

Everything is now ready to roll once the final decision is made.

argor
September 7th, 2007, 19:59
yes i duo
:rofl: :rofl: :p

edit
just adding link :p :p :p :thumbup:

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=38155&view=findpost&p=554923

;)

Smokerman
September 25th, 2007, 02:00
you gay ***art how can you be arsed like wtf

r00t
September 30th, 2007, 15:38
Because we all know how well the last GP went ;)

Djr1994
October 6th, 2007, 18:15
Cool!!

sukhi-2006
January 25th, 2008, 14:44
The only console which is any good is the gp2x f200 which plays quite handful emulators and uses control pads,hard drive via gp2x cradle, and psp can't do that, so it becomes full of crapness.

The pandora is the most powerful handheld system to date it will be far better than gp2x i like the idea of having keyboard for using it with writing programs.

The pandora will be able to connect control pads,hard drives,keyboards,mouse,flight sticks on the move which is kinda cool, I will be buying this definetely, i already have gp2x f200, it will emulate few more systems that gp2x couldn't do.

slik da relic
July 20th, 2008, 13:30
well... i guess the psp has benefitted from havin the introduction of the gp simply bcuz it gets code ported over from the system and modified to run on itself... never thought of that... one of the main reasons we got picodrive and a better MAME... no?

da relic