PDA

View Full Version : What Will We See in a New DS Revision

wraggster
September 3rd, 2007, 00:30
The DS then DS Lite have both been excellent consoles and with the release of the PSP Slim with its added Ram and TV Out it may steal some of Nintendo`s Thunder but will Nintendo release a new revision of the DS Lite with More Ram, TV Out or a DS Lite Micro (basically a DS Lite that has a push in push out touchscreen bottom area with possibly a smaller sized screens on both top and bottom

Anyone else got a view or a suggestion for Nintendo, Lets Hear it.

Digg This (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Will_We_See_a_New_DS_Revision)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Will_We_See_a_New_DS_Revision

Pilot_51
September 3rd, 2007, 02:23
I think Nintendo is smart enough not to release so many revisions in a short amount of time. I'm not a fan of revisions anyway, old-school all the way. I'd sooner expect the next generation, maybe similar to the GBA where the third and last revision was released after the DS. I'm not sure how successful they think the GBM was, but I haven't seen it anywhere, so I'm guessing it wasn't as successful as they had hoped and they probably wouldn't go with a third revision again.

backhair
September 3rd, 2007, 02:41
i doubt there will be another revision to the DS - the DS phat had room for improvement, but i don't think there's enough left to be done to the ds lite to warrant another revision. here are my predictions for nintendo's next handheld (which i think will be a lot like the DS)

-No GBA support
-DS backward compatibility (same style cards)
-Dual Screen (set up like slider phones)
-320x240 resolution on both screens
-Built-in rumble
-Built-in Accelerometer
-Faster processors

I don't see nintendo dropping DS compatibility in their next handheld - so the successor has to be pretty similar. 320x240 is the magic resolution where games from the 8bit and 16bit era can run without being scaled and i would bet it will have the option to run wii virtual console titles.

Basil Zero
September 3rd, 2007, 03:43
I dont think they can make it any smaller than it is now, the reason why they made the Micro for Gameboy was to celebrate the final days of Gameboy and its anniversary.

Besides they better not pull ANOTHER revision, cause I just bought my DS two months ago >__<

redsyrup
September 3rd, 2007, 06:12
I would like a built in camera, and higher screen resolution, when this happens I'll buy it.

Thanatos 2.0
September 3rd, 2007, 06:46
why would you need a built-in camera? is this a cell-phone or a gaming system?

wiggy fuzz
September 3rd, 2007, 07:38
simply have an increased screen res and allow all games to make use of ram expansion packs (it's stuck in the bottom of my ds gathering dust)

playing worms open warfare 2 (which is actually awesome old school wormage) really makes you wonder how much better the game would be with an increased screen res.

and removing gba support would be a stupid thing to do

Duobix
September 3rd, 2007, 11:31
Few things that probably will be included:
-virtual handheld (games from gb,gbc and others),
-mii(myamoto said that mii were made for ds first),
-higher rezolution screens, as was said,
-movement detector.
There are some things that exist in ds and really need to be changed(in my opinion):
-this crazy microphone port changed to normal mini jack(so we can connect normal head-set),
-better wifi (the existing one is not enough strong),
-better shulder buttons than in dslite.
-some alternative to d-pad, that is more analog controller (no 3D-platformers on ds because of this).

Da_ALC
September 3rd, 2007, 11:48
I dont think Ninty are in any rush to release a revised DS, but I do expect they will towards the end of its lifetime, wich I expect is 4/5 years off yet. (Games are only just starting to get any good on the DS really, with exception of the nintendo games generally. I mean this in a build quality sense, and how developers are making best use of the DS).

When a revision does eventually get released, it will not be a change on the system at all.
-The screens have to remain the same size as the games are design around this.
-the gap between the screens has to remain the same distance as many games take this gap into concideration.
-The resolution cannot be increased.LCD,only effective way is make screens smaller.
-They will not upgrade the system with more ram, this is effectively releasing a new console. Games would come ou on it wich the old DS would not support. Not nintys style for sure.

That leaves us with changing the asthetics really.
-Smaller casing, lighter, better battery, better backlight/ low reflection screen.
-Maybe an upgrade to the wifi capabilities. More connection options, etc. These settings are game indipendant.

You get the general idea of what im saying.

XDelusion
September 3rd, 2007, 17:21
I with the exception of the N64 and V-Boy, Nintendo has never failed me and I'm certain what ever there new system is, it will amaze me. With the added motion sensor that will be built into there next handheld, I think the time is right to add in TV out, but I kinda doubt they'll do that. :/ On the other hand, more speed, larger screen, and a more responsive touch screen are certainly the sort of features I'd expect, infact I think RAM expansion like the N64 and Saturn used would be a good idea me thinks.

As for the PSP slim...

...longer battery life, TV out? I think I'm going to stoop and buy a PSP as well! :)

naruto777
September 3rd, 2007, 17:59
Better graphics would be quite nice, as well as better supported sound. I can't think of anything that's not written already, other than that they should make more ports of N64 games, like The Legend of the Mystical Ninja, and a better Chameleon Twist.

jinqui242
September 3rd, 2007, 19:59
Built-in camera would be neat for Playstation Eye-type of games, but it would probably be too costly. I just want a larger main screen. I hate that I have to play Zelda:PH on such a small screen. I'd rather play it on a PSP-size screen.

Joel92
September 3rd, 2007, 20:32
I dont think Ninty are in any rush to release a revised DS, but I do expect they will towards the end of its lifetime, wich I expect is 4/5 years off yet. (Games are only just starting to get any good on the DS really, with exception of the nintendo games generally. I mean this in a build quality sense, and how developers are making best use of the DS).

When a revision does eventually get released, it will not be a change on the system at all.
-The screens have to remain the same size as the games are design around this.
-the gap between the screens has to remain the same distance as many games take this gap into concideration.
-The resolution cannot be increased.LCD,only effective way is make screens smaller.
-They will not upgrade the system with more ram, this is effectively releasing a new console. Games would come ou on it wich the old DS would not support. Not nintys style for sure.

That leaves us with changing the asthetics really.
-Smaller casing, lighter, better battery, better backlight/ low reflection screen.
-Maybe an upgrade to the wifi capabilities. More connection options, etc. These settings are game indipendant.

You get the general idea of what im saying.

Ok, dont EVER call them "ninty" again.... it just doesnt roll of the tounge. Anywho, you make some good points, but just because the console might have more ram, doesnt mean the games they make for it wont be cross compatible with the normal ds's. I would think that adding more ram would just give it greater versitility, or computing power. you could do a lot more things with it, i would think. i personally think that more ram would be one of the better ideas for it. heck, maybe they should just make it a media console... maybe running on SD cards and whatnot. I personally have a lot of different ideas...

daceman
September 4th, 2007, 02:14
One thing for sure Nintendo can do is upgrade the screen to 16:9 res, just like PSP. Graphic upgrade would be awesome. But that would require a bigger capacity battery.

Analog controller like the PSP one is great too.

Maybe built-in microSD card slot or USB port.

Some software upgrades would be the ability to play videos/audios out-of-the-box, organizer, etc..

Ok, now I sound like making the DS PSP-like.

Pilot_51
September 4th, 2007, 02:26
Most of the ideas I see people mentioning would make this "revision" a new generation instead. A revision cannot prevent games from working on older versions, meaning a higher resolution is definitely out of the question. As for more RAM, it needs to be no larger than available Slot-2 RAM packs and games need to use it in the same way. The same goes for rumble or motion sensing, games that use the Slot-2 device need to work with it in the revision and vice versa. Games that use a built-in camera also need to be capable of using a Slot-2 camera.
You get my drift, right? A revision cannot under any circumstances prevent any games designed for it from working in an earlier version of the system. Otherwise, it should be called a new generation, similar to the GBC which basically only added color.

cas61692
September 4th, 2007, 02:36
Bigger screens, better Graphics, an analog stick, r and l buttons like a psp, motion sensing, in game brighness adjustment, not as fragile as ds lites, built in rumble, more ram than it needs, online pictochat, 2 multitouch screens (like iphone), gb/gbc support. more customizeable home screen, 2 more slots for games so you dont have to switch them out, updated through wifi, and a one of those batteries you charge by shaking.