PDA

View Full Version : PSP radio

deferet
June 29th, 2005, 05:14
I hope no one thinks i'm an idiot for asking this, since I don't know too much about programing, but does anyone know if it would be possible to program a hack for the PSP to use the wi-fi to send a radio signal to a specific radio station? I was just curious since I don't have the knowledge to know, or find out myself.

alphabirth
June 29th, 2005, 09:23
Short answer: No.

Long answer:
No, it's not possible to use a psp (or any WiFi device for that matter) to transmit data as a "radio station". For several reasons. One of which being that WiFi transmits on a 2.4GHz frequency, while radio stations transmit on various frequency bands between like 500KHz and 1MHz (or something like that). And even if the PSP could transmit on the proper frequency, it's far too underpowered to transmit those frequencies of waves farther than a hundred feet or so. And while WiFi, is considered a "radio signal", and simply by standing near a radio station with a PSP would be "sending a radio signal to a radio station," somehow I don't think this is what you had in mind. What is possible, and is in fact a great idea, is using the PSP as a shoutcast server, streaming your media files off the memory stick and over the ol' interweb. Or vice versa (which may in fact be the better choice).

deferet
June 29th, 2005, 22:08
thanks for the answer, although I am intrigued by your streaming media idea. It would be great to be able to recieve constant media off the web, such as movie clips, news, even sitcoms and movies? thanks again

neilscool11
July 2nd, 2005, 20:00
but if you go to this site http://www.primehacks.com theres somting about using an itrip with your psp

tanner090
July 6th, 2005, 05:43
I personnally have done the iTrip hack and it works beutifully. I have two psp's one for www.freepsps.com which DOES work if you do it properly and i got one as a gift. The itrip hack is easy but you have to be willing to tear apart that psp. it fits like its meant to be and you get clearer stations then out of your car.

neilscool11
July 22nd, 2005, 21:50
the link on primehacks.com can be found at http://www.primehacks.com/psp.html