PDA

View Full Version : 72-year-old app developer fights violence against women

wraggster
November 28th, 2013, 22:38
His app captures evidence of crimes witnessed and instantaneously sends them out to trusted sources.
GotU – an iPhone app created by semi-retired Australian, Keith Jolly – came about after he witnessed an assault on a train and realised he needed a way to capture and share evidence of the crime before he became a target and had his phone destroyed.
With just one touch the app captures what is needed and sends the information off within seconds to the user’s trusted recipients.
The messages sent include tamperproof images of the situation, a map and GPS co-ordinates, date, time plus other relevant data.
Since the assault that he witnessed, the IT professional did not do anything with his idea. However as the news began reporting more and more horrifying attacks on women especially in Australia and India, plus the increasing campus rapes in the US – he knew he had to act.
Jolly said: “I wish I had developed GotU earlier. Perhaps some lives could have been saved. It is my objective with GotU to help people who find themselves at risk, or those who witness crimes as I did.”
Evidence can be sent to private inboxes of up to eight user-selected recipients. It is also intended to record, and hopefully deter other incidents including alcohol induced violence, campus rape, bullying, sexual harassment, workplace harassment, assault, taxi violence, racial crime, stalking, abduction and elderly attacks.
Jolly continued: “GotU is essential for those times in life when you can find yourself in the frightening ‘wrong-place-wrong-time.”
GotU is available now from the App Store for $1.99, with a percentage of the proceeds going to anti-violence organisations.

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/72-year-old-app-developer-fights-violence-against-women/022949