PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my pc these days?

Sonicboy 101
September 5th, 2007, 17:11
Ehhh, this sucks.
Every time I play a PC game, 10 mins in it shutdowns on itself.
I don't know why it's doing it. It seems like bad luck :(
I'd do anything to fix it (as long as it doesn't involve money :p )

steve520
September 5th, 2007, 17:14
have you tried doing system restore it usually seems to fix my computer when its like really slow.

Sonicboy 101
September 5th, 2007, 17:28
No.
How do I do that? (I don't know much about these sort of things)

JPJunkie
September 5th, 2007, 17:33
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

A guide I found

Sonicboy 101
September 5th, 2007, 18:34
Thanks.
Will it delete my installed apps?

Axelius
September 5th, 2007, 18:57
To me this sounds more like as if your computer was getting too hot. It becomes a lot warmer when you're playing a computer game than when you're just working, or surfing etc.

Have you recently changed any hardware? Or have a look inside! Is there a lot of dust in the fan of the cpu or graphics-card? If yes, clean it!

Don't worry. If your PC becomes too hot, the hardware usually does not get damaged. It is shut off immediately to prevent damage.

Sonicboy 101
September 5th, 2007, 19:06
No new hardware have been installed, I'll check for dust in a mo.
It's weird, it never used to do it, but it started doing it rarely round about 2 months ago. Now it does it often when playing games. :(

Buddy4point0
September 5th, 2007, 20:04
uninstall eerything u dont use, defrag, run ccleaner and clean and fix issuses. that should speed it up 100x and fix tons of stuff

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 20:31
uninstall eerything u dont use, defrag, run ccleaner and clean and fix issuses. that should speed it up 100x and fix tons of stuff

Does that work with Vista also? Vista is slow for some reason?

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 00:07
Does that work with Vista also? Vista is slow for some reason?

yes, but you have to right click on ccleaner and say run as administrator.

VampDude
September 6th, 2007, 00:14
yes, but you have to right click on ccleaner and say run as administrator.

Everything has to be done by an administrator on Vista, it's annoying. Hopefully I will be able to temporarily sort my Vista out before I think of backing everything to an external hard drive and going back to XP, Vista was cool to start with (about 7 months ago) and now I see it's just horrible to use! (and Microsoft suck) :(

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 00:19
Everything has to be done by an administrator on Vista, it's annoying. Hopefully I will be able to temporarily sort my Vista out before I think of backing everything to an external hard drive and going back to XP, Vista was cool to start with (about 7 months ago) and now I see it's just horrible to use! (and Microsoft suck) :(
my vista is not slow at all, its simple to set stuff to run as an adminirator, ive also disabled UAC as it is anoying and i see no real point to it. for me vista is great, though it does use alot of ram, if ur having trouble just set it to best preformance while running games (makes it look like windows 98 temporarily).
i have 2500 MB ram though so i normally have no problems there, and 4.8 GHz takes care of me speed wise, but durring games i set it to best preformace... untill my Nvidia GEFORCE 8800 ultra comes in, then i will have POWER! MUHHAAHAHA

VampDude
September 6th, 2007, 00:29
my vista is not slow at all, its simple to set stuff to run as an adminirator, ive also disabled UAC as it is anoying and i see no real point to it. for me vista is great, though it does use alot of ram, if ur having trouble just set it to best preformance while running games (makes it look like windows 98 temporarily).
i have 2500 MB ram though so i normally have no problems there, and 4.8 GHz takes care of me speed wise, but durring games i set it to best preformace... untill my Nvidia GEFORCE 8800 ultra comes in, then i will have POWER! MUHHAAHAHA

Vista isn't slow at all on my PC, but I find that the software just isn't as good as it should be. It has a long way to go before many people will even consider upgrading from XP due to the software issues, I haven't played any decent games on my PC for a good 7 months (except NES/SNES) all my decent games run on my mums PC which is running XP which is very sad indeed (as I have a better performance PC).

The administrator thing is annoying, but at the same time it's a security measure (thou I don't know why it pops up over-frequently) ???

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 00:42
The administrator thing is annoying, but at the same time it's a security measure (thou I don't know why it pops up over-frequently) ???
thats why i turned it off, thats what UAC is. but you still need to tell things to run as an administrator even with it off

Safari Al
September 6th, 2007, 00:58
Here's my problem.......

An old computer with windows 2000 that has i think 500 mb of RAM. We have uninstalled everything we had earlier and its still slow. For example, if i try to open up the internet, it takes 2 min to open the window and 3 min to display the page. I have tried defragmentation, but no luck.

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 00:59
Here's my problem.......

An old computer with windows 2000 that has i think 500 mb of RAM. We have uninstalled everything we had earlier and its still slow. For example, if i try to open up the internet, it takes 2 min to open the window and 3 min to display the page. I have tried defragmentation, but no luck.

ok the sollution for you, sry none, buy a new computer urs is old and way past its lifetime.

Axelius
September 6th, 2007, 09:37
untill my Nvidia GEFORCE 8800 ultra comes in, then i will have POWER! MUHHAAHAHA
I thought there were some bugs with the GeForce 8800 and Vista:confused:

Safari Al
September 6th, 2007, 11:57
ok the sollution for you, sry none, buy a new computer urs is old and way past its lifetime.

My solution is i have another computer (my laptop) and its a lot beter than that so screw that computer:p

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 19:52
I thought there were some bugs with the GeForce 8800 and Vista:confused:

there was, and theres also fixes. nvidia has already realised the new driver that fixes it, i beleve it even comes with the card now