PDA

View Full Version : PS3: Kid saves dad's life - gets PS3 in return, donated by Sony

blackrave
September 7th, 2007, 16:41
Awesome news and nice to see Sony do a decent thing :)

News source: kgw.com (http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_090607_news_truck_boy_nine_playstation_rig_.a9 a36aa6.html)

A nine-year-old boy who saved his father's life by taking the wheel of a speeding big rig when his dad suffered a seizure and blacked out has finally gotten his wish.

When asked last month what kind of reward he would like for his bravery, Matty Lovo said he would like a new PlayStation.

When readers of the story suggested pitching in and buying the boy a PlayStation, his father, Matthew Lovo, initially declined to accept the offer while thanking the community for its generosity.

Eventually, after Sony called to donate one, Lovo Sr. agreed to accept it.

"We've seen this topic talked about as far away as the UK and all over the U.S. People like the story a lot," Lovo Sr. said.

The company presented Matty with the gift Wednesday evening at KGW.

"I'm gonna let my dad play this one. He needs to have a spin,” Matty said.

Matty said his real reward is that his father recovered after the seizure.

The incident occurred in Saint Helens, Ore., in August. A Good Samaritan who noticed a child at the wheel of the huge truck jumped out of his own car to help stop the vehicle.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Kid_saves_dad_s_life_gets_PS3_in_return_donated_by _Sony

DarthPaul
September 7th, 2007, 16:46
Yeah Sony rules!

I'll try and save a bum's life this afternoon! I want a Free PS3!

cal360
September 7th, 2007, 16:47
That's realy nice of Sony to do that, for the boy that must of been pretty scary.

mcdougall57
September 7th, 2007, 16:59
more publicity for sony i suppose

I xfire I
September 7th, 2007, 17:04
any high profile company would of done the same

JKKDARK
September 7th, 2007, 17:09
lol he finally got what he wanted

Ci5tm Konfliqt
September 7th, 2007, 17:43
bit greedy ....should be grateful enough that his dads still alive !

devdj
September 7th, 2007, 17:55
ah man sony should have given him the works by giving him the ps3 High Def TV and Multimedia surround sound equipment.

maxipower90
September 7th, 2007, 18:27
here im gonna pull a stunt like this but wish for a new car, doubt it,ll work. not to find a bum i can kill... i mean save

Basil Zero
September 7th, 2007, 18:47
lol

wow sony actually donated one xD

PoorKingz
September 7th, 2007, 18:49
I find it funny how his father just recovered from a seizure and the kid says he will let his dad play his PS3. Videogames can cause seizures in sensitive people, right?

"He needs to have a spin."

wolfpack
September 7th, 2007, 18:56
That selfish kid got what he wanted... dammit i want a free ps3, hmm what daring act could i do to get a free ps3?.... cutting brakes and rescuing people from driving their car

yea that would work... if i wasnt lazy enough

Sonicboy 101
September 7th, 2007, 19:00
Wait, this isn't right.
Isn't the selfish kid supposed to not get the PS3?
I'm baffled. O_o

Elmarco
September 7th, 2007, 19:33
*Dad recovers from seizure.*
Kid: dad, seeing as i saved your life, can i have a ps3?
DAD: depends how much it is.
*Kid whispers price to dad.*
*dad has a heart attack.*

Sterist
September 7th, 2007, 19:45
i bet you my left testicle that the only reason sony did that is because the kid mentioning playstation after saving a life -- and choosing it as a gift for such a great act, promotes the playstation product line.

quote me

mat_dizzy
September 7th, 2007, 19:58
- £400.00 = Sony Lost Meesly Pocket Money

- Donated 1 Playstation 3 = High Company Reputation!

It's a nice thought of course, but we all know its to get their "nice reputation" up even more!

But sony rock all the same :)

Sterist
September 7th, 2007, 20:04
as an add-on to my last post:

the news broadcasting "kid wants ps3 for saving a life" or something of the sort, people who see that must be thinking of the ps3 as a far more powerful and / or fun machine than whatever else. donating the ps3 coats it in some canadian maple syrup sugar. dam those candies are good

mnuhaily22
September 7th, 2007, 20:11
+10 cool points for Sony...looool

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
September 7th, 2007, 20:24
that was nice of sony!

B0RG1010
September 7th, 2007, 20:28
did the kid "taking the wheel of a speeding big rig" do this by instinct or by experience from his PS3/PS2/PS1 (please delete as appropriate) "force feedback" steering wheel (even if he is under age to do this real life?) If so, then how come games can be all bad? (again the "Brown" end of the stick!) If also true, no wonder Sony re-enforced his heroism by "giving" him a PS3.... Any publicity is good and if people talk about it then it's priceless... Sony=Gods? I think not, but it looks good in the "press" regarding Sony's rocky history? Either way it's 'cheap' as chips!

mnuhaily22
September 7th, 2007, 20:33
It was nice of sony to do that, but it's obviously just for da publicity...

felonyr301
September 7th, 2007, 21:41
too bad he wont have a good amount of games to play on it lol... actually people donated to the father for him to get it but he declined it and then came along sony just giving him the ps3 and then he accepted...

cal360
September 7th, 2007, 21:47
This is mainly for Sony publicity like what many of you said but all in all I think the kid deserves it for the trauma hes gone through.

Shadowblind
September 7th, 2007, 22:08
Aw, how nice Sony.

but know that 1 PS3 doesn't account for selling 3 mil for $600.

pas
September 7th, 2007, 22:28
Don't care about Sony, just happy that he and his father are both ok, sure must have been a shock for him...

cswallstreet
September 8th, 2007, 00:21
Congrats to the boy for his courage and bravery, amazing he didnt just freeze. and Good Job Sony for Making the boys wish come true.

goliath182
September 8th, 2007, 00:50
hmm Now i want A free PS3 from $ony Dammit

Broadus
September 8th, 2007, 02:35
I wonder how the kid actually stopped the big rig... How'd the good samaritan help?

parkermauney
September 8th, 2007, 05:10
more publicity for sony i suppose

I came here to say the same thing, but you were way ahead of me.

Johnny Rash
September 8th, 2007, 06:13
- £400.00 = Sony Lost Meesly Pocket Money

- Donated 1 Playstation 3 = High Company Reputation!

It's a nice thought of course, but we all know its to get their "nice reputation" up even more!

But sony rock all the same :)

I don't think Sony has a "nice reputation".
After all those messed up PS2s, the rootkit situation, and the lawsuit again Lik Sang. Let Maddox explain:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

Basil Zero
September 8th, 2007, 07:41
^ regardless the ps2 is still the best video game system since snes lol

mcdougall57
September 8th, 2007, 13:41
This is mainly for Sony publicity like what many of you said but all in all I think the kid deserves it for the trauma hes gone through.
yeah but ive saved a persons life before, i didnt automatically expect a ps3

Eyedunno
September 8th, 2007, 13:47
If I ever save someone's life, I'm gonna ask Sony for a modded PSP that will never be affected by firmware "updates." :P

Ennohex
September 8th, 2007, 21:40
I'm glad everybody's OK.

Elmarco
September 8th, 2007, 22:07
Im not sayin the dad shouldnt be thankful for what the kid did, but to have the sheer cheek to even contemplate asking for something in return makes me too mad for words.......... I need to go beat something up....... :mad:

VampDude
September 9th, 2007, 04:56
I find it funny how his father just recovered from a seizure and the kid says he will let his dad play his PS3. Videogames can cause seizures in sensitive people, right?

"He needs to have a spin."

lol, the spoilt f__ker...

...If his dad has another seizure playing whilst PS3 (and foams from the mouth and completely spazz'es out on the floor), they can sue SONY for giving them the PS3! lmao :rofl:

Johnny Rash
September 9th, 2007, 11:15
^ regardless the ps2 is still the best video game system since snes lol

Yeah, it did lay down countless elite hours of hardcore gaming before I spent countless hours of hardcore "Disc Read Error" reading. Still, they righted their wrong with a new, less piece-o-crap model.

JPJunkie
September 9th, 2007, 12:15
If I had saved my dads life I wouldn't have asked for a reward as I would just think he was lucky to be alive

but this person says I want a ps3 I think thats a bit greedy if thats all you can think about

JKKDARK
September 9th, 2007, 17:47
If I save any of my family's life, they will give 10 euro :(

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 03:23
If I save any of my family's life, they will give 10 euro :(

Is that because your family are poor? (lol) 10 euro's is like £6 here in the UK which you would be lucky to get 2 pre-owned PSone games for :p

JPJunkie
September 10th, 2007, 15:03
10 euro your lucky I wouldn't get anything and wouldn't want anything

VampDude
September 11th, 2007, 00:13
10 euro your lucky I wouldn't get anything and wouldn't want anything

You shouldn't want anything anyway, but the thought of a FREE console is nice thou! :p