PDA

View Full Version : PSP MAME4ALL v4.7r2 Hires - MAME Arcade Emulator for PSP

Zombo
September 8th, 2007, 06:36
Second release of latest version. As included readme-psp.txt:

PSP MAME4ALL v4.7r2 Hires by TTYman, 08/09/2007
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-

Install directions:

- Copy in /PSP/GAME (firmware 1.5) or /PSP/GAME150 (firmware 1.5 compatibility for 3.xx OE release);
- Recreate zipped roms with included ClrMame compatible .DAT files (v0.34-v0.36 mixed roms);
- Add created zipped roms files in ROMs subfolder and samples in samples subfolder;

Specific Features:

- Based on latest GP2X MAME4All releases v4.7;
- 480ラ272 full PSP Hires Support, now games with >320 orizz. and >240 vert. pixels are fully playable (Loderun, Galaga etc.);
- Overclock support, from 133 to 333 MHz;
- Fixed, Fixed Divided by 2, Software Scaled and Software Full Screen Stretched resolutions (all maximum 480ラ272);
- Frameskip as GP2X version (fixed 0-5, auto 1-5);
- Vsync on/off;
- Save configuration support, default and per game;
- Autocentering fix for all resolutions;
- Optimized compiled code as derived from GP2X version, but for PSP cpu (fastest graphics core!);
- Stripped & Packed executable, only 2.1MB;
- Original graphics theme from Gold edition;
- Music in menu (filename music.psp in data folder), in these supported formats: .MOD .S3M, .IT, .XM and .OGG;
- Added, as bonus, 1st classified OldSkool at Assembly 2007 Music Competition (Commodore 64 based), in .OGG format;
- Graphic theme 480ラ272 BMP skins support, both pspmenu480.bmp and pspsplash480.bmp in folder skins;

Specific Controls:

- Button SELECT: Insert credits.
- Button START: Play.
- Button HOME: after Pause exit game and return to menu.
- Buttons L+R: Activate/deactivate screen fixed/fixed div2/scale/stretch.
- Buttons L+R pressed during one second: Pause.
- Buttons L+HOME simultaneously: Reset emulation.

Fixed from 4.7:

- 133 MHz in menu and while paused, for battery saving;
- VSync really works now;
- Corrected build configuration and Makefile, so sounds in various games are now back;
- Correct fixed, div2, sw scaled and sw stretched resolutions, with autocentering;

Known Problems:

- General audio core non arcade perfect, and slowdowns when enabled;
- No rotate support;

Source code will follow.

TTYman
http://ttyman.free.fr

Download and Give Feedback & Compatability Reports Via Comments

masso4321
September 8th, 2007, 07:21
Thanks a lot to TTYman for this marvellous work!

repuken2
September 8th, 2007, 07:25
Looks nicer now!!!! THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR JOB!!!
music still plays high pitched but is very cool, trojan seems to play fine tough (weird!?).

MANY, MANY THANKS!!!

hack.fool
September 8th, 2007, 07:50
Thanks TTYman
this is such a good Mame emulator !!!

SmashinGit
September 8th, 2007, 08:02
The pause button to exit back to the menu is not working, anyone else having this problem?

siulmagic
September 8th, 2007, 08:15
very nice work
will try this

mikebeaver
September 8th, 2007, 08:37
Cool, glad to see this coming on nicely, hopefully the Simpsons arcade will be playable at some point, that game owned :P

Thanks TTY for the update,
Mike..

THE PREDATOR
September 8th, 2007, 09:26
Can anyone get TMNT to work on this version it worked fine for me on 4.7.

Baboon
September 8th, 2007, 09:32
Ah this is brilliant news. :)

Thanks very much for the quick update from yesterdays release... going to try this baby out right now. :)

edit: yep it appears that tmnt no longer boots on this version. :( ...aprt from that though there some great imporvments here with the options (screen stretching etc).

Hopefully ths sound will be tweeked on the next update?

pucus78
September 8th, 2007, 09:37
The pause button to exit back to the menu is not working, anyone else having this problem?
I cant exit to menu too :(

Baboon
September 8th, 2007, 09:47
Although the sound is currently quite high pitched im glad to report that the music in bubble bobble now works. :)

I cant exit to menu too :(

It does work, just hold L, R for 2 seconds then it will come up with " Arcade paused, press L&R to continue or home to exit" - press home and its goes back to the game slect screen. :thumbup:

titch71
September 8th, 2007, 10:11
Although the sound is currently quite high pitched im glad to report that the music in bubble bobble now works. :)

It does work, just hold L, R for 2 seconds then it will come up with " Arcade paused, press L&R to continue or home to exit" - press home and its goes back to the game slect screen. :thumbup:

Just about to post this :lol:

Fantastic update - great to see mame on the psp is still getting some dev work.

:thumbup: To anyone involved in this.

pucus78
September 8th, 2007, 11:32
Although the sound is

Thx for info, its work :D

dgila
September 8th, 2007, 13:00
It does not recognize the simpsons arcade
I thought it would work:mad:

devdj
September 8th, 2007, 13:26
any word about dragon ball z games working with this version

Panini
September 8th, 2007, 14:42
This is emulator is already looking amazing!

Bobble bobble, newzeland story, shadow wariors, chop lifter, championship sprint,green beret, gradius all run great when overclocked.

I hope sound is updtaed next?

On The Rise
September 8th, 2007, 15:31
This is so freaking awesome keep up the good work. It plays one of my favorite arcade games tapper ur the best. At first I didn't know if this emu was gonna be any good but its great! Keep up the good work!

P.S. How good was TMNT running on the last release.

Hirosen
September 8th, 2007, 15:32
I cant even get roms to show up, let alone anything but mrs pacman to play correctly............ Can anyone help me? Galaxian doesnt work, PACMAN doesnt work, Galaga doesnt show up, Galaga 88' doesnt show up, Gradius 2 doesnt show up...

Baboon
September 8th, 2007, 15:48
P.S. How good was TMNT running on the last release.

It only ran for me when sound was disabled... apart from the lack of sound it played very well (all be it a wee bit fast). I hope tmnt will work next time round. :D

johanh
September 8th, 2007, 15:53
Playing with the PSP cross is a bit of difficult sadly. Diagonal doesn't work.

Hopefully analog stick support is added soon.

classicgmr
September 8th, 2007, 15:59
I'm finding that Samples lock up the games. Donkey Kong Jr and Galaga play fine but when I put the samples on the drive they lock up. As for the controls I'd like to see joystick support added and screen rotation implemented.

Overall though I say 8.75/10 for this much needed update! GP2X shouldn't have the only near-perfect MAME damn it. :)

carpy
September 8th, 2007, 16:09
which version of mame roms does this require?

classicgmr
September 8th, 2007, 16:56
which version of "R WORD" does this require?

I may not post much but I do know that the "R" word is not used on this site.

Just read the readme-psp.txt file included with the files.

Tyr
September 8th, 2007, 16:58
Does this emu have any rom megabyte boundary , like is it any use to try anything thats over 20meg?

SpacemanSpiff
September 8th, 2007, 17:30
I'm not sure I understand the installation directions, do I have to add clrmame_roms.dat and clrmame_samples.dat to every zip file? And what am I supposed to put in the "samples" directory, the clrmame_samples.dat file? I haven't gotten any games to work yet even though they're on the compatability list, bubble bobble and rainbow islands won't open the rom files and space invaders crashes the psp when I try to run it.

Understandable
September 9th, 2007, 05:58
dont know if im gonna like this emu....battletoads, MJ moonwalker r not in the list. 2 of my favorite classics

emu_user
September 9th, 2007, 10:08
I'm not sure I understand the installation directions, do I have to add clrmame_roms.dat and clrmame_samples.dat to every zip file? And what am I supposed to put in the "samples" directory, the clrmame_samples.dat file? I haven't gotten any games to work yet even though they're on the compatability list, bubble bobble and rainbow islands won't open the rom files and space invaders crashes the psp when I try to run it.

Same problem here!
I've copied my roms (Pang, Bubble Booble, Puzzle Bubble, SF2) into roms and they show up, but can't be started ("Unable to initialize machine emulation")...

I don't understand where to put the clrmame_*.dat files. Have tried to include them into the rom zips - won't help. The readme-psp.txt isn't very helpful.
What to put in the samples directory, btw?

Thanks for help.

George

fucht017
September 9th, 2007, 10:37
I tried outrun,outruna and outrunb but they hang after a few seconds....:( ..anyone got that problem?...But it is shaping up to be a great emu...thanks.

Baboon
September 9th, 2007, 12:35
A few more that Ive got working quite well... Rolling Thunder, Pang, Space Harrier, Alien Storm, Rainbow islands, Hang on, Star Wars, Tempest, Toki, Toobin and World cup 90. :)

For those having trouble I guess you are using the wrong rom sets... re-dump your arcade board rom. ;)

I havent tested the capcom games but didnt see the point seeing as NJ has already perfected CPS.

Get on this programers site and show some support people. :thumbup:

For anyone feeling flush hes also got a paypal donate option on his site. I've never donated anything to a developer before but to be honest this might change now as this is the only project that id like to see more polished on the psp (well that plus n64 and pspuae). :D

argor
September 9th, 2007, 14:16
I tried outrun,outruna and outrunb but they hang after a few seconds....:( ..anyone got that problem?...But it is shaping up to be a great emu...thanks.

outrun canエt run on the psp port of gp2x version
and try to find out the reason :p

edit
just to add the gp2x version vil alvaes be bedder than psp version

and support more games

outrun wont run psp as the gp2x it use cyclone core on psp the best 68000 core is famec and it has a lot of trobel as random crase so it is not good enough to run
outrun

fucht017
September 9th, 2007, 15:01
Thanks Argor....so if a understand,Outrun will never be playable on psp?.:( ..

cal360
September 9th, 2007, 15:29
This works great.

argor
September 9th, 2007, 18:10
Thanks Argor....so if a understand,Outrun will never be playable on psp?.:( ..

unless some1 make a new 68000 core that is bedder than famec for psp

paladinja
September 9th, 2007, 19:26
Ok, I swear i'm trying my damndest to figure this one out, BUT I NEED HELP! I've downloaded the app mentioned in the readme (clrmamepro) that is supposed to be able to convert newer roms to be usable in this emulator's MAMEv.34 environment. I've gotten clrmamepro to recognise the dat file provided with the eboot (clrmame_roms). NOW WHAT? put simply, these are my questions:

-How do I use clrmamepro to convert newer roms to v.34 roms. (the doccumentation is slightly too advanced for me to really understand)

-How can I tell which roms need to be converted (looking for a way to see if roms are above v.34, and therefor needing of conversion)

Can someone far more advanced (*ahem*baboon*)PLEASE write a walkthru about this? or godforbid, MAKE A GUI!?..I'll be your best friend!

Thanks in advance, and much props to all involved in this, it really is shaping up to be an AMAZING APP!

hack.fool
September 9th, 2007, 20:00
does anybody got Tumblepop to work with sound?
I can only hear the inserted coin sound...
and what the samples are for?

O-bake
September 9th, 2007, 20:41
On the GP32/2X Wiki is a tutorial for those who have problems using clrmame pro:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/MAME_GP2X

The tut begins at Converting ROM sets for MAME 0.34 and you just have to use the gamefile.dat you like.

paladinja
September 10th, 2007, 00:53
Bigup O-bake! (is that short for O bakemono; a japanese ogre mage?)

Thanks man. my searching was yielding nada... guess i should always gostraight to the wikiwiki. Now lets just hope i can understand the walkthru, lemme put on mah readin'specs...

drock82
September 10th, 2007, 18:39
a much easier tutorial for converting roms is needed -someone please put up a good tutorial to help us noobies because this is really kinda complicated:(

and were is x-men arcade at it works with the old mame

Panini
September 10th, 2007, 18:41
I'm really loving this emulator. Its what the psp scene has needed for some time now and to have most of the sega and Data East games working is a joy. :)

Has anybody managed to get super pang to work correctly? The game loads fine but them comes up with something like 8mg selected and doesnt get any further? Also Rodland only seems to work when the sound is off?

I hope this gets updated regularly.

Baboon
September 10th, 2007, 18:49
a much easier tutorial for converting roms is needed -someone please put up a good tutorial to help us noobies because this is really kinda complicated:(

I've never actualy used clrmamepro for mame4all (well on the psp anyway)... all I've previously done for the psp with games that dont work is manually merge different roms together... its as simple as opening one zip and coping the contents in to the other and the game then works. :thumbup:

O-bake
September 10th, 2007, 19:01
I've never actualy used clrmamepro for mame4all (well on the psp anyway)... all I've previously done for the psp with games that dont work is manually merge different roms together... its as simple as opening one zip and coping the contents in to the other and the game then works. :thumbup:
How is that simple? That sounds like a very complicated way of living.
The computer should do work for you, not you for your computer.
And thats clrmame pro for, it does the work you do manually, but automatically.

The tutorial i posted above is as simple as it can be. Step by step. You can't do anything wrong.

Baboon
September 10th, 2007, 20:16
How is that simple? That sounds like a very complicated way of living.
The computer should do work for you, not you for your computer.
And thats clrmame pro for, it does the work you do manually, but automatically.

The tutorial i posted above is as simple as it can be. Step by step. You can't do anything wrong.

I totaly agree with ya that its not the best way to do it, but for all the noobz that cant seem to follow your straight forward tutorial its a really basic way of getting the games to work by simply merging two romsets together. lol

Clrmamepro was very useful to me many moons ago when I first got my dreamcast and wanted to sort out the working games then for mame4all. :D

@ Panini: I also cant get Super Pang to work on psp mame4all. :(

Apoklepz
September 11th, 2007, 00:36
Great to have some improvements on this emu...Mame on PSP is one of the best ideas out on the scene.

..still, it seems the sound took a huge punch on this update. Street Fighter I and Golden Axe sounded much better two builds ago.

zukizuki
September 11th, 2007, 07:29
I've checked this with 1943 kai, P.O.W., Galaga, Outrun.
333Mhz recommended to run smoothly, and the emul works great in this mode! )
Except that:
Sound/Music FX are weird, just some beeps/screeches.
Outrun works, but it's tooo slooow to play.
I have no idea, how to get into main menu from the started game. I have to switch power off. (

Galaga works best of all, but I please developers to make some screen filtering/rotation!

In all other, extremely great project! ) Thanks to the author! )

Apoklepz
September 11th, 2007, 08:48
So......you "please" developers? That's a new one.

...Just kidding.... I completely agree with what you were saying about screen filtering/ rotation.

Baboon
September 11th, 2007, 15:50
..still, it seems the sound took a huge punch on this update. Street Fighter I and Golden Axe sounded much better two builds ago.

If you want a laugh check out the game Robocops sound on this build... he now sounds like a chipmunk on helium! :rofl:

carpy
September 11th, 2007, 16:27
This build works great.

Two things:

Where is Pole Position and PP2?

Why don't samples work? I have the correct ones in the folder but I get nothing....but the games still run.

Panini
September 12th, 2007, 09:00
[QUOTE=carpy;513436]
Where is Pole Position and PP2?

QUOTE]

It not work for me either. :(

Does anybody know if this great emulator will work on the psp slim? If it does does it make the games better?

THE PREDATOR
September 16th, 2007, 07:52
Does anyone have problems with this emulator freezing their psp it seems to happen no matter which rom I play after a certain amount off time the game stops then my psp turns off.

Zombo
September 16th, 2007, 08:20
Yes Preddie I too have that same problem and I really hope that this emulator gets updated and fixes many of these problems!

horsehung
September 16th, 2007, 11:21
A few more that Ive got working quite well... Rolling Thunder, Pang, Space Harrier, Alien Storm, Rainbow islands, Hang on, Star Wars, Tempest, Toki, Toobin and World cup 90. :)

For those having trouble I guess you are using the wrong rom sets... re-dump your arcade board rom. ;)

I havent tested the capcom games but didnt see the point seeing as NJ has already perfected CPS.

Get on this programers site and show some support people. :thumbup:

For anyone feeling flush hes also got a paypal donate option on his site. I've never donated anything to a developer before but to be honest this might change now as this is the only project that id like to see more polished on the psp (well that plus n64 and pspuae). :D

Just wonder if 2 JAP games run on this version. They are my teen time fav. -
1) Amazinger Z
2) Pretty Soldier - Sailor Moon:thumbup:

Thanks!

Baboon
September 16th, 2007, 11:51
Just wonder if 2 JAP games run on this version. They are my teen time fav. -
1) Amazinger Z
2) Pretty Soldier - Sailor Moon:thumbup:

Thanks!

If you look in at the games list readme supplied with the emulator you'll see that those games are not listed as working.

pichon
September 16th, 2007, 12:05
Is there a working version of this emu for psp slim?

horsehung
September 16th, 2007, 13:09
I did b4 posting. I was hoping a mircale to come out.
Anyway, is there any way I can make it work??

Sychophantom
September 19th, 2007, 20:23
The only game I want working is WWF Wrestlefest.

Didn't seem to see that in the list of games. Pity.

Zombo
September 20th, 2007, 21:47
Well kech had a post over in TTYman's blog saying...

Hi

you made nice job with the emulator.

my recomendation for your emulator

in this file gp2x_mame.h

when say this
#else
#define DEFAULT_SAMPLE_RATE 22050
#endif

change for this

#else
#ifdef PSP
#define DEFAULT_SAMPLE_RATE 44100
#else
#endif
#endif

with this change maybe the sound is better

and the other change
is in config.mk

when say this
# MAME4ALL Gold:
ifdef MAME4ALL_GOLD
DRIVER_TMNT=1
DRIVER_SYSTEM16=1
DRIVER_CPS1=1
endif

change for this
# MAME4ALL Gold:
ifdef MAME4ALL_GOLD
DRIVER_TMNT=1
DRIVER_SYSTEM16=1
ifndef PSP
DRIVER_CPS1=1
endif
endif

with this change you have more memory for the other games

Maybe this could actually fix it! O_o

THE PREDATOR
September 21st, 2007, 14:41
I was wondering how are people getting tumble pop and rodland to work two great games I would love to play on my psp I've tried mixing roms like Baboon suggested I've also tried clrmamepro but still could not get them to work.

Greg_Alexander
September 22nd, 2007, 18:47
Hi

you made nice job with the emulator.

my recomendation for your emulator

in this file gp2x_mame.h

when say this
#else
#endif

change for this

#else
#ifdef PSP
#define DEFAULT_SAMPLE_RATE 44100
#else
#endif
#endif

with this change maybe the sound is better

and the other change
is in config.mk

when say this
# MAME4ALL Gold:
ifdef MAME4ALL_GOLD
DRIVER_TMNT=1
DRIVER_SYSTEM16=1
DRIVER_CPS1=1
endif

change for this
# MAME4ALL Gold:
ifdef MAME4ALL_GOLD
DRIVER_TMNT=1
DRIVER_SYSTEM16=1
ifndef PSP
DRIVER_CPS1=1
endif
endif

with this change you have more memory for the other games
What files do I put these lines into? I don't have them. :confused:

silverdtvw
September 23rd, 2007, 07:13
They are (minor) changes to the source code of Mame4all.

The changes are basically increasing the sample rate (sounds beter) and dont include the CPS1 driver. (which would save some binary size but not be able to run cps1 games from mame, I believe).

You would need to get the source, make the changes, and recompile the binary.

Panini
September 24th, 2007, 18:15
They are (minor) changes to the source code of Mame4all.

The changes are basically increasing the sample rate (sounds beter) and dont include the CPS1 driver. (which would save some binary size but not be able to run cps1 games from mame, I believe).

You would need to get the source, make the changes, and recompile the binary.

I wonder if Kech who posted this information on ttmans blog would be kind enough to compile the eboot with these modifications? The source for this emu is on ttmans site!! :D

...failing that if anbody with the know how could fix this then this emu would be superb!!!!
:thumbup:

Baboon
October 8th, 2007, 11:31
I just checked TTmans site and the good news is he's posted that theres a new build coming soon for his mame4all! :)

Heres what he posted on his blog:

Hello to all of you,
well after some effort between me and Franxis of gp2x original version, I would tell you of merged psp source code to official port, with both preliminary analog support, sound improvements and fixes. A new version will be released as Franxis will complete its own modifications.

jurkevicz
October 8th, 2007, 17:42
I can't wait. Love playing TMNT on my PSP.

shezaadg
April 19th, 2008, 12:03
Is it Compatible on the slim?

Tyr
April 19th, 2008, 15:17
Pity nobody seems motivated to do a dedicated mame port for PSP , a good coder could definitely get stuff like Guwange running on psp for example.

delt31
April 3rd, 2009, 04:54
hi guys - anyone know how to make the screen look good for games like punch out where it's split? there is one screen option where it focuses on the top screen only. It would be great to focus on the bottom screen so I can see the fight? anyway?

delt31
April 3rd, 2009, 05:02
Also - I am looking for a emu to play TMNT and wrestlefest. I have a psp phat. I tried Mame and fireburn. no luck - anyone else have better luck? TMNT does work but it's really slow on fireburn. ALso - simpsons would be nice too!

I am also trying to find a good emu for punch out (arcade) - as you can see from post above, the screens seem to be messed up on the mame emu. I just want to make sure i'm not overlooking something.

Baboon
April 3rd, 2009, 09:02
Also - I am looking for a emu to play TMNT and wrestlefest. I have a psp phat. I tried Mame and fireburn. no luck - anyone else have better luck? TMNT does work but it's really slow on fireburn. ALso - simpsons would be nice too!

I am also trying to find a good emu for punch out (arcade) - as you can see from post above, the screens seem to be messed up on the mame emu. I just want to make sure i'm not overlooking something.

tmnt does work on this emu on a phat (you might need to play about with the settings though - cant remember exactly as I havent touched my psp in months lol).