PDA

View Full Version : Legal Open Source Dash Board!!!

Cap'n 1time
June 30th, 2005, 05:07
Somthing i have been waiting for for a while, this is a dashboard replacment that can legally replace the ms dash. has all the important functions one wants for his dashboard too. check it out at www.xbox-scene.com

Opendash Beta Released!, legal open-source xbox dashboard
>> d0wnlab on the Xbox-Scene forums wrote..

I had some time today to finish up a beta of my OpenDash. It isn't done, nor is it a very nice dash to use, but it's the first OpenXDK(info)-based dashboard afaik. Many of the limitations are very lame, but it does the job (I suppose).

WARNING! DO NOT USE AS PRIMARY DASH WITHOUT A METHOD TO RECOVER (.. why would you want to, anyways?)!! This is completely beta software and should not be trusted. Software provided without warranty, etc. Use at your own risk.

Features:
* (2!) cool groovy backgrounds
* Browse three (3!) different directories for XBE's to run
* FTP support via mini-linux distribution (based on ltools(info))
* It's legal!
* DVD booting (although reset-on-eject is busted so, it's not that useful)

I'm posting this in development because I need a bit of help. Namely:
* Someone to make a cooler milkshape 3d model (replace model.msd with something better)
* Someone to replace bg.bmp. The red channel of the image is used in the "red-line" background. I just used a screenshot I had laying around, I'm sure a cooler effect could be used with say, clouds or something.
* Help with turning off reset-on-eject. I'm executing the command:
HalWriteSMBusValue(0x20, 0x19, 0, 0x01);
But it doesn't do anything. Any help?

Other Limitations
* You can't boot a relative path from the mounted d:/ at the moment.

For more info, and how you can help with this great project.. check the XS forums thread

Give it a try..
Download: OpenDash Binaries / OpenDash Source
Official Site: http://th0mas.sixbit.org
Official Forum Thread: forums.xbox-scene.com
(June 29 20:04 EST) - (direct link to article)
(Posted by:: HSDEMONZ)

Onetonbullet
June 30th, 2005, 06:00
Dont get pissed @ me, but why so excited about a barely functional beta release of a legal dashboard? Do you just like the Idea of keeping your box clean of XDK builds?

Cap'n 1time
June 30th, 2005, 14:31
Dont get pissed @ me, but why so excited about a barely functional beta release of a legal dashboard? Do you just like the Idea of keeping your box clean of XDK builds?

yes.

Onetonbullet
July 1st, 2005, 01:49
cool

Mental2k
July 25th, 2005, 15:25
once the scene stops using XDK it can move more intot he open, releases will be easier to get, it'll move at a greater pace, and may be the first real alternative to DC HB, especially witht he ease of a soft mod.

MasterChafed
July 30th, 2005, 21:43
I still go with EvoX and NexGen. I like them better and have both as dashes on my hardrive. (EvoX is primary and NexGen is secondary.) well that is my two cents. but hell yeah, if the homebrew xbox scen moves into the clear it will be a lot more safe using the apps that come out. Although I have found OpenXDK to be pretty weak compared to the Micro$oft XDK.

Mental2k
August 4th, 2005, 00:02
yeah thats cause MS poured millions into theirs whereas openXDK was knocked up by crack coders in their spare time. I'll move to a legal dash when I can figure out this xbox thing better.

Cap'n 1time
August 4th, 2005, 01:10
the problem is.. with xb360 comming in the next couple of months, im afraid that coders will loose interest in xbox stuff...

I hope that they will be able to manipulate the backwards compatibility and keep this going.

Mental2k
August 12th, 2005, 11:58
Just like coders for DC did....

Cap'n 1time
August 12th, 2005, 12:35
Just like coders for DC did....

yes, but the DC didnt have a predacessor.

edit: never mind... thats actually a good point.