PDA

View Full Version : pomDS V1.0 - Apple II Emulator for Nintendo DS

wraggster
September 9th, 2007, 09:35
Alekmaul (http://www.playeradvance.org/forum/portail.php) has given the DS Community another present in the form of a Apple II Emulator for the Nintendo DS.

http://www.portabledev.com/media/DS/pomDS/boxpomDS2.png

This is the initial version of the emulator.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Hyrule_boy
September 9th, 2007, 10:17
What does it emulate exactly?

Sektor
September 9th, 2007, 10:53
What does it emulate exactly?

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/appleii-system.jpg

wiggy fuzz
September 9th, 2007, 11:39
was there anything worth playing on that thing?

Sektor
September 9th, 2007, 11:41
I liked Taipan (drugwars type game). Wavy Navy was fun but that's also on C64. Mickey's Space Adventure was fun when I was a kid but probably not much fun now. I've tested Taipan and it runs ok, not full speed but it's a turn based game, so it doesn't matter.

rememberthe8bit
September 9th, 2007, 12:15

Nothing really, just games. And sheesh, who would want to play games? Here's a list of the games that suck: Oregon Trail, Lemonade Stand, Lode Runner, King's Quest, Zork, and all those other crappy games. ;)

Eyedunno
September 9th, 2007, 12:34
Holy geez! Oregon Trail on the DS! Hunt for food!

TeenDev
September 9th, 2007, 18:09
I loved Oregon Trail... I gotta dig out my old disks. If only the DS had a 233 MHz power-pc processor so I could play the old Oregon TRail 3...

F2bnp
September 9th, 2007, 18:13
hmmm sweet apple II!

Cap'n 1time
September 9th, 2007, 18:58
Nothing really, just games. And sheesh, who would want to play games? Here's a list of the games that suck: Oregon Trail, Lemonade Stand, Lode Runner, King's Quest, Zork, and all those other crappy games.

Love'n the sarcasm :P. I was curious as to why no one had emulated this glorious machine yet. Very exciting release!

wolfpack
September 9th, 2007, 19:24
does pathways into darkness work on the Apple II ???

xoque
September 9th, 2007, 19:49
Oh wow. So awesome. There are so many great games for the Apple 2. Here are a few more..
Apple panic, Hard hat mack, Ultima 1-5, Aztec, Wings of Fury, Castle Wolfenstein and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein (the games which later spawned Wolfenstein 3D), Boulder Dash, Lode Runner, Swashbuckler, Rescue Raiders, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, Karateka, Bruce Lee, Wasteland, Crisis Mountain, Wasteland, Moebius..

Great idea for a DS emulator!

alekmaul
September 9th, 2007, 19:58
Thanks a lot for sooooo much replies ^^
Tell me what you want to improve this emulator :)

kurtless
September 9th, 2007, 22:10
Nothing really, just games. And sheesh, who would want to play games? Here's a list of the games that suck: Oregon Trail, Lemonade Stand, Lode Runner, King's Quest, Zork, and all those other crappy games. ;)

oregon trail crappy?That game was awesome!!!I loved that game,I'm definitly going to try this out :D

nyuk1998
September 9th, 2007, 22:45
Loved playing the Bard's Tale back in the day.

Smothermunchie
September 9th, 2007, 23:02
Maybe someone can help me out a little...

Were there any ports of either Nethack or other Rogue variants that's available for public use made for the Apple II?

Thanks. :)

TeenDev
September 9th, 2007, 23:58
What about... MACMAN! (Mac PacMan)

Shtroodle
September 10th, 2007, 01:32
I was really looking forward to finally play "Wasteland" on the DS. Unfortunately, most versions are in the ".nib" format, and the one I discovered in ".dsk" format doesn't work.

:(

Other than that great work alekmaul! :)

crookedmouth
September 10th, 2007, 05:55
Thank you alekmaul! I need to start testing this but bless you for emulating this wonderful machine! I'll give some feedback soon.

btermini
September 10th, 2007, 07:35
My Wish Has Bean Granted!

paul3100
September 10th, 2007, 08:38
what folders to put everything into?

Have the .nds file, plus some DSK images and the apple II bios image and put them all in a folder named apple II but it doesn't respond to buttons or touch!

help please, oh but nice looking emulator :-)

paul

alekmaul
September 10th, 2007, 10:13
I think the readme file says that you must put the nds file and the bios / rom files in the root directory of your card / linker ;) , isn't it ?
You can put dsk files where you want

kalak
September 10th, 2007, 14:47

KARATEKA !!!! :thumbup:

crookedmouth
September 10th, 2007, 15:11
Wow, alekmaul, this is incredible. Your gui is already incredibly polished. It looks and feels like a apple2. I've only thrown Joust, Pacman, Repton(the defender clone), Montezuma's Revenge,Pirates, Sundog, War of the Lance,Xyphus,Mario Bros,Phantasie1,Hero, and Pitfall2 at it.
They all worked ,except the ones that required joystick input of course. There is a bit of a problem where the mapped keyboard buttons staying 'depressed', this actually helped in Joust. Some games like Pirates! the joystick seemed to be stuck in a downward direction. I've always wanted to play Sundog:Frozen Legacy(it requires joystick I believe) and it booted up with no problem.
You say that some copy-protected games don't work, if they are 'cracked' does it affect it?
I'm wondering,are in-game saves functional? I haven't made any 'character' disks for Phantasie or Xyphus to find out.
Anyway awesome job so far. Don't change the GUI. I hope savestates, joystick support, better sound and speed aren't too much of a hassle, because that would make your emulator pretty much perfect.
Thanks again(for all your emulators) this one so far is my favorite and it's a first release.

iceman100
September 10th, 2007, 20:36
ok nothing starts how is this thing suppose to work?

crookedmouth
September 10th, 2007, 20:47
You need a dldi patched version of pomDS.nds, a DISK.ROM and apple2 rom(I used APPLE2E.ROM). These all need to be in the root of your card. You then need .DSK images of apple2 games(these can be anywhere). The DISK.ROM is a little hard to find but not impossible. The rest is easy to find.

Shtroodle
September 11th, 2007, 11:21
Sorry to bring this out one more time but has anyone suceedeed in running "Wasteland" on this emu? I've tried different configurations (bios, fastmode on/off) but can't get it to boot.

And since alekmaul asked for suggestions I'd like to ask about future .nib file support :)

marzsyndrome
September 11th, 2007, 22:12
You need a dldi patched version of pomDS.nds, a DISK.ROM and apple2 rom(I used APPLE2E.ROM). These all need to be in the root of your card. You then need .DSK images of apple2 games(these can be anywhere). The DISK.ROM is a little hard to find but not impossible. The rest is easy to find.
Not for me it isn't! I'm trying to get every rom file the readme specifically lists but a good deal of them appear to not exist on the web for me. Feel free to prove me wrong (through PM or e-mail) though.

crookedmouth
September 12th, 2007, 03:55
Sorry to bring this out one more time but has anyone suceedeed in running "Wasteland" on this emu? I've tried different configurations (bios, fastmode on/off) but can't get it to boot.

And since alekmaul asked for suggestions I'd like to ask about future .nib file support :)

Wasteland boots fine for me. However after a series of disk swaps it hits a I/O error. This is when you first see the menu at bottom of screen with choices like Use,End,Disband,Radio,Save. I believe this could be a lack of input device error, which I get in GEOs also, furthermore this could be the game trying to save, which for me causes crashes and freezes. I'd wait and see if alekmaul can implement joystick and saving before I worry about playing a game that clearly requires saving.
While .nib support would be great , joystick and saving to disk is my wishlist.

vapour99
September 13th, 2007, 02:44
Can you emulate the OS?

because minivmacDS is not possible for me (I don't own a mac)

and GEOSDS does not support dldi...

crookedmouth
September 13th, 2007, 11:59
Well the Geos for apple2 booted up but needed an input device so right now Geos doesn't work.

iceman100
September 14th, 2007, 01:54
Hey The Oregon Trail is in bin format aren't all the games supposed to be dsk? Also doesn't this thing run apple II gs?

crookedmouth
September 14th, 2007, 05:18
Hey The Oregon Trail is in bin format aren't all the games supposed to be dsk? Also doesn't this thing run apple II gs?
I can't seem to find a converter for .bin to .dsk. Been trying CiderPress and it only seems to do vise versa.
No this doesn't emulate GS.

zathlon
September 16th, 2007, 19:19
After a lot of searching I found this...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/8752/msx/dlprogs/makedisk.zip

you can create a dsk from 1 or multiple bin files.

I still cant get games working on this thing, I put on the apple2e rom and all the other ones it wanted, it loads and shows them all in the ok status, yet every game I download, even ones already in .dsk format wont run! Am I doing something wrong? I shouldn't need to dldi this thing right? cuz I heard w/system firmware 1.11 you don't need to......

I can't seem to find a converter for .bin to .dsk. Been trying CiderPress and it only seems to do vise versa.
No this doesn't emulate GS.

nyuk1998
September 16th, 2007, 20:51
All I did was change the .bin to .dsk using the command prompt and it worked.

crookedmouth
September 17th, 2007, 03:03
After a lot of searching I found this...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/8752/msx/dlprogs/makedisk.zip

you can create a dsk from 1 or multiple bin files.

I still cant get games working on this thing, I put on the apple2e rom and all the other ones it wanted, it loads and shows them all in the ok status, yet every game I download, even ones already in .dsk format wont run! Am I doing something wrong? I shouldn't need to dldi this thing right? cuz I heard w/system firmware 1.11 you don't need to......

Maybe try dldi patching because most everything boots up on it I've tried. Some games won't work because of no joystick or strange repeating "key presses" , but most everything at least boots.

kurtless
September 17th, 2007, 05:35
Heres a good place to get everything

http://apple2.intergalactic.de/roms.html

brobert
September 18th, 2007, 01:48
Keep seeing the same things over and over again, so here goes:

#1: Read the comp.sys.apple2 faq available here:
http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/A2FAQs7GAMESITES.html
If you can't find the support files you're looking for from here, then you're not looking. Or you should get a 508-compliant web browser because you lost your vision and can't see anything.

#2: CiderPress can do most of the conversions you need, in particular you want everything to be in the "Dos-ordered" format. If you get a disk that doesn't boot, you might first try converting to this format (Tools -> Disk Image Converter in CiderPress). You can also create a blank disk image, boot up a utility like "Copy ][+" and copy the .bin or other image to the newly created .dsk image by copying one "disk" to the other "disk".
More info: http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/Csa2FLUTILS.html#014

#3: Apple 2 != Mac. Jesus H. Christ people, early Apples were a completely different machine. The first Apple in "mac" form was the ill-fated Lisa. The ][, ][+, //e, //c, //c+, //gs and Apple 3 were NOT macintosh computers. They do not run macintosh software, and most of the people that used these computers (with the exception of the //gs) did not even have mice.

crookedmouth
October 11th, 2007, 03:07
Please don't give up on this very important emulator alekmaul. :)

XDelusion
November 8th, 2007, 18:52
I somehow skipped this one. I owned a few Apples but never really enjoyed it as much as my Atari or C64. There are a few lesser versions of games on this system, but now that the Atari emu is out (and hopefully getting updated) I don't see myself bothering with this emu.

Will check it out none the less, I'm sure there were a few system specific apps or games out there somewhere that I just have to play or use. :)

Mikesch11
January 16th, 2008, 02:51
Hey Guys, I got oregon Trail working.

I copied PomDS.nds, Apple2e.rom, and disk.rom to my root folder.

I downloaded the orgeon trail game which comes as 2 bin files (disk 1 and 2)

Just change the file extensions from .bin to .dsk for both files. copy anywhere on sd card.

When pomds.nds is loaded, choose the 2 disk images you renamed:
My example:
D0: otrail1.dsk
D1: otrail2.dsk

Click the pomDS logo, and select Reset Apple ][

OS will reload, and game should take a moment to load.

God I hope this helps someone.

crookedmouth
January 16th, 2008, 04:48
That seems pretty cool, I'll have to try it out. I wonder if renaming all other .bin files to .dsk will allow them to work. If this works I guess there is no reason why not.
Anyway thanks for the info. :)
To bad there is no saves for this incredible emulator. ;)

oregono
February 4th, 2008, 22:18
Ok this program will boot up fine and all the keys work, but when I load a game (numbermunchers.dsk), the top screen turns all black with like a thick line of purple - like it froze or something. I can still choose another image to load, but it does the same thing.

I am trying to use a supercard mini-sd with and without max media player. What dlidi file should I be using to patch this? Im using the supercardsd.dlidi now.

Also, do I JUST NEED the appleIIe.rom? Some of the rom zip files contain 3 or so files, none of which are ".rom" files.

Please let me know if own a supercard mini sd how you got this to work. Or e-mail me and I would be most grateful.

[email protected]

discorder
February 21st, 2008, 20:36
I didn't read the readme.txt file properly (my fault!) and struggled with getting it working for a while. I was using the apple2e.rom file for AppleWin which didn't work. With the rom file from ApplePC it now runs.

This is really cool. As far as I'm concerned the DS is the best platform for an portable Apple ][ emulator.

Keep up the great work!

Ben

crookedmouth
February 22nd, 2008, 05:33
The appleII file named DISK.ROM is also needed to operate this emulator. I found it in an older AppleII emulator for windows.

scrabbus
February 22nd, 2008, 23:28
does anyone have a link for the DISK.ROM??? I have struggled to find this online

crookedmouth
February 23rd, 2008, 01:04
I remembered the emulator, it's Apl2em. Look in Apl2em3 or regular Apl2em. Look for DISK.ROM or FLOPPY.ROM. Floppy.rom will of course need to be renamed to DISK.ROM.
I don't believe this emulator is illegal, so hope theres no problem with the link.

http://mirrors.nsa.co.il/apple_ii/emulators/apple_2_for_windows/apl2em/

scrabbus
February 23rd, 2008, 18:56
Thanks for that, as always my apreciation is given in large doses!

patora
March 11th, 2008, 07:26
can someone please link/mail/pm me a copy of or link to the disk.rom file?? I can't find ti anywhere...

crookedmouth
March 12th, 2008, 00:54
Did you read my post 3 above? They are right there and apparently legal.

I remembered the emulator, it's Apl2em. Look in Apl2em3 or regular Apl2em. Look for DISK.ROM or FLOPPY.ROM. Floppy.rom will of course need to be renamed to DISK.ROM.
I don't believe this emulator is illegal, so hope theres no problem with the link.

http://mirrors.nsa.co.il/apple_ii/emulators/apple_2_for_windows/apl2em/

scrabbus
March 13th, 2008, 08:12
this is a great emu, but alas what I really want to see is DOSBOX !! I was reliably informed that a working version of Dosbox with good compatibility is a possibility, now if only someone would code it!!

crookedmouth
March 14th, 2008, 03:46
Well,I'd like to see save states for pomDS, but since I can't code, I just have to hope the gods shine down on us. :)
I doubt a full blown DosBox port would be feasible. I read that perhaps an IBM XT emulator might be possible. Meaning games similiar to what pomDS runs. Classics.

reallyfun2
June 26th, 2008, 15:11
This is absolutely amazing and a dream!! :thumbup:
However, hopefully next version would include mockingboard support. I need my Ultima!!!! :)

Anyone have any idea when an updated version will be out?

crookedmouth
June 27th, 2008, 02:36
This is absolutely amazing and a dream!! :thumbup:
However, hopefully next version would include mockingboard support. I need my Ultima!!!! :)

Anyone have any idea when an updated version will be out?

I imagine he's a busy man, with 10 emulators under his belt, plus a c64 emulator reportedly on it's way. I myself would love to see him revisit pomDS and pokeyDS. I personally would like to see joystick and saves before mockingboard support, I mean what good is Ultima 3 without saves.
Oh well, we can wish all we want, right?
I always preferred the c64 or atari800 versions of the Ultimas. ;)

Off topic, if your interested in a near perfect port of ultima3, someone made a port for the Gameboy Color that works great in Lameboy for the DS.

Sven Carlberg's port of Ultima III
http://gonow.to/sven

reallyfun2
July 1st, 2008, 09:32
I imagine he's a busy man, with 10 emulators under his belt, plus a c64 emulator reportedly on it's way. I myself would love to see him revisit pomDS and pokeyDS. I personally would like to see joystick and saves before mockingboard support, I mean what good is Ultima 3 without saves.
Oh well, we can wish all we want, right?
I always preferred the c64 or atari800 versions of the Ultimas. ;)

Off topic, if your interested in a near perfect port of ultima3, someone made a port for the Gameboy Color that works great in Lameboy for the DS.

Sven Carlberg's port of Ultima III
http://gonow.to/sven

Thanks for the link! Actually I already know of Ultima3 for GBC, its great! :D However, I really want to play U4-6... :\
After playing with the emu more, I realized how much still needs to be worked on. As you have mentioned, the joystick support, etc.

I look forward to any updates in the future!:)

Brigade
October 20th, 2008, 03:07
Has anyone found the hddrvr.rom - hard disk controller C700 ROM cause I can't find it.

crookedmouth
October 20th, 2008, 07:35
No I haven't found hddrvr.rom nor the parallel.rom. If they are out there, they are inside an archive or something.

Why exactly are you looking for it?

something strange from the readme

Non mandatory files are :
parallel.rom - pic controller
hddrvr.rom - hard disk controller C700 ROM. This file is open source and include[sic] with
pomDS :)

Included? Is it incorporated into the .nds file?

Brigade
October 21st, 2008, 02:29
No I haven't found hddrvr.rom nor the parallel.rom. If they are out there, they are inside an archive or something.

Why exactly are you looking for it?

something strange from the readme

Included? Is it incorporated into the .nds file?

I'm not sure I just like having all the files, i guess it is in the .nds file but it isn't too clear about it.

But I did find the parallel.rom it was pretty simple with google

crookedmouth
October 21st, 2008, 04:14
I'm not sure I just like having all the files, i guess it is in the .nds file but it isn't too clear about it.

But I did find the parallel.rom it was pretty simple with google

I guess I can understand wanting all the files even though right now pomDS seems to only load "floppies". In the future, godwilling, there may be an update. I'm praying for a little speed, joystick and perhaps some saves, before hard drive. :)

swiley
January 5th, 2009, 21:57
Does any one know were the source code to this is?

crookedmouth
January 6th, 2009, 04:55
I don't think alekmaul releases the source for his emulators.

swiley
January 6th, 2009, 14:08
thats a bumber

crookedmouth
January 7th, 2009, 20:55
Maybe try emailing him and ask him his policy about his source?

http://www.portabledev.com/pages/me-contacter.php (http://www.portabledev.com/pages/me-contacter.php)

Why did you want the source, if you don't mind me asking?

swiley
January 8th, 2009, 22:26
for learning and possibly adding a debugger and something to copy the memory to a file

swiley
January 9th, 2009, 16:37
thanks he said no though

crookedmouth
January 10th, 2009, 06:57
thanks he said no though

At least he answered. :)

Ascertain20
January 20th, 2009, 03:15
I'm running version 2.0, and it loads fine on my Games N' Music, but my biggest problem is getting the disks to run. I haven't really been able to find any tutorials on what to put on my card to get it to work. I know I need the disk images of the games. I have the applewin emulator and the games (Zork, Oregon Trail, and Carmen Sandiego) work fine in there. When I attempt to restart the computers in pomds, the games don't load. What do I need to put on my SD card to get the systems to work and load the games?

crookedmouth
January 20th, 2009, 12:41
With pomDS 2.0 you do not need any companion files like in the previous version. PomDS.nds can go anywhere but being a GnM user, you may want to put it in the root.

Disk files can be in .DSK or .NIB format and can be anywhere on your card.

1. When pomDS starts, touch the Disks tab.

2. Under this tab, touch the A Disk which by default loads with Master.dsk inserted.

3. Use the browser to navigate to where you put your apple disks and choose one by pressing A button . NOTE: To see .nib format you need to switch to .nib filter before you touch the DiskA.

4. Now you will need to reset the emulator by touching the Reset tab an then the RESET red button.

5. The Apple2 will reboot and auto-load your disk.

6. Now you need to switch back to the keyboard by touching the pomds tab.

Most like you will also have trouble with any game that uses joystick or has a joystick option. The joystick is not correctly emulated and furthermore it appears the Emulated Apple 2 thinks it has a joystick plugged in that is always being pressed left.

The keys mapped to the D-Pad are on a repeat cycle that is very quick, meaning holding a direction repeats that key very quickly.

It's a shame that many games are unplayable since speed has improved considerably. Look for keyboard only games to be the only playable types.

Hope that helps.

Ascertain20
January 21st, 2009, 03:53
Well I downloaded the games from Classic Gaming's website, but when I do attempt to restart, all I see is the Apple II/IIe/IIgs screens. The disks don't load.

crookedmouth
January 21st, 2009, 04:51
Well I downloaded the games from Classic Gaming's website, but when I do attempt to restart, all I see is the Apple II/IIe/IIgs screens. The disks don't load.

Your using version pomDS v2.0 right?

Does it say the FAT system is found! and touch screen- all is OK! during startup?

Can you run other DLDI compatible apps and games using the PNY 2GB MicroSD?

I had trouble with most MicroSD cards and the GnM. Sandisk seemed fine.

You sure you are using "version 1" of the DLDI patch? Version 2 only works with the 128MB MicroSD card that comes with the GnM.

Have you tried using the stock 128MB card to run pomDS. This would test the PNY compatibility, as long as you weren't using V2 of the DLDI.

I just used my GnM to play a couple of games. It doesn't matter where pomDS is on the card.

The MiniVMac files are back up in the MiniVmac thread.

Ascertain20
January 21st, 2009, 04:57
Your using version pomDS v2.0 right?

Does it say the FAT system is found! and touch screen- all is OK! during startup?

Can you run other DLDI compatible apps and games using the PNY 2GB MicroSD?

I had trouble with most MicroSD cards and the GnM. Sandisk seemed fine.

You sure you are using "version 1" of the DLDI patch?

I just used my GnM to play a couple of games. It doesn't matter where pomDS is on the card.

Yes I'm using version 1 of the DLDI patch.

I do get those messages on startup.

So if I were to find another game for apple II, it would work other than the Zork, Oregon Trail, and Carmen Sandiego disks I currently have?

crookedmouth
January 21st, 2009, 06:00
I played Bandits from Sirius Software, Jumpman from Epyx(loads but needs joystick), Stellar 7 and Swashbuckler.

I think I have played pac-man and ms. pacman in the past.

GiInOz
May 2nd, 2009, 08:58
Schools used to use them for teaching, they had heaps of games, and other things..

Thanks for this emulator.

Does anyone know if a APPLE 2 GS emulator exists, or if updated version of this emulator exists above 2?

Thanks again.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

crookedmouth
May 3rd, 2009, 07:06
Schools used to use them for teaching, they had heaps of games, and other things..

Thanks for this emulator.

Does anyone know if a APPLE 2 GS emulator exists, or if updated version of this emulator exists above 2?

Thanks again.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

An Apple IIgs emulator would be awesome but most likely would be too much for the little DS.

I wish that pomDS had an update, especially to fix the keyboard repeating and add Saves and Joystick. As it is many games are unplayable because of the joystick and/or keyboard staying in the direction once pushed.

Ascertain20
May 3rd, 2009, 16:36
An Apple IIgs emulator would be awesome but most likely would be too much for the little DS.

I wish that pomDS had an update, especially to fix the keyboard repeating and add Saves and Joystick. As it is many games are unplayable because of the joystick and/or keyboard staying in the direction once pushed.

And I would certainly like compatibility for .bin files seeing as how I've unsuccessfully tried to get games like Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail to work. However, all 3 Zork games work wonderfully.

Jeric
May 3rd, 2009, 18:24
Well if its Zork you want there's always DS Frontz.

Though having said that I have fond memories of the Apple II.

crookedmouth
May 4th, 2009, 05:32
And I would certainly like compatibility for .bin files seeing as how I've unsuccessfully tried to get games like Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail to work. However, all 3 Zork games work wonderfully.

I can find pretty much everything in .dsk and .nib format but hey .bin would be cool too.