PDA

View Full Version : Details on the "Killer " Handheld

wraggster
September 10th, 2007, 18:26
It must be a year since i found out about a new project from CraigIX (Owner of the former GBAX.com Shop - Best one in Europe for DS etc) and now owner of GP2X UK.

Now because sites like Engadget have made the news public and got it wrong a tad too then i thought it was about time i posted what i know about the handheld that has been told to me will be more powerful than the PSP.

The handheld is not being made by Gamepark so thats one rumour dead. Craigix and some others are behind it and most likely it will be made in China (not 100% confirmed). The Console will be Linux Based again (like the GP2X). It will have a decent 2D and 3D Graphics Chip. I gather it will have a very nice 128MB of Ram, it will use SD Cards. It will have a touchscreen. TV Out will also be an option. The screen is rumoured to be 800x400 resolution, i understand that Sony/Sharp have the deets on the 480 screen. Wifi is also on the cards.

The console at this time doesnt have a Public name but sometime in October we will know for sure. It promises to be an exceptional console for homebrew and other items not 100% confirmed are some kind of keyboard too.

The price im told will be around the £150.

Like everything things change but it sounds a mouthwatering console, taking the ideas for the GP2X and features from the PSP/DS and making what could be a Dream Homebrew Handheld that doubles as a Console too.

Digg This (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Details_on_the_Killer_Handheld)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Details_on_the_Killer_Handheld

Discuss this more in our Forums for this as yet unamed handheld (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=167).

MillenioX
September 10th, 2007, 18:50
sounds pretty good, cant wait to see that hand held in action and see how good it is in 3D graphics, since its better than the PsP/DS?

it be pretty cool if it had wide screen as well.

sappo
September 10th, 2007, 18:55
Cool! I will surely buy one, if it's supported from coders.

It would be really cool if it could run something like Ubuntu. Portable Linux FTW.

Also, Amiga, DOSBOX and others with Keyboard and mouse... w00t.

-Xandu-
September 10th, 2007, 19:04
800x400 is really big for a handheld, don't you think?

Cap'n 1time
September 10th, 2007, 19:08

yes.
Perhaps it will be styled sort of like a laptop or a tablet pc? Sounds like an ugly choice for gaming to me.

argor
September 10th, 2007, 19:27

it is the screen resolution it donsen´t men the sise if the screen just it will have
800x400 resolution

JesusXP
September 10th, 2007, 19:30
I've always loved the idea of the GP handhelds, but I dont see them ever being a true competitor in the handheld game or handlheld pc markets. Unless its done right, this will most likely make very little waves in a very tight niche market. I want a fast linux based handheld just as bad as the next geek, but I want something taht will fit in my pocket! The GP2x was a big boy. This guy should team with Ben Heckerdon or whatever his name is and get the look really down. Honestly - my dream handheld right now would be the iphone, if only it was fully hacked to run linux. I think it would be wise to try and copy as much of the look of that device as possible. We don't need mobile phone capability, but if I can IM my buddy using aMSN on the go - i won't need one!

The keyboard idea is definately interesting, but cellphones and umpc's still haven't really gotten that right.

It's definately tittilating news! I really hope it's done right. Not that I'm trying to bring negativety here, I'm hoping some of my suggestions will be noted. Big = bad..

I dream the day when I can compile a game on my handheld device, and run it immediately after :)

JesusXP
September 10th, 2007, 19:32
ooo - this is interesting.. what about if it integrated bluetooth? then it could talk to different cellphones, and also use a PS3 or Wii controller when its hooked up to your TV set!

Sonicboy 101
September 10th, 2007, 19:33
Wow, looks like this IS gonna be the killer handheld after all!
But man, 800x400? :eek:

cal360
September 10th, 2007, 19:37
This is brilliant I realy can't wait to have one now :D!!!!

mrbob3
September 10th, 2007, 21:08
soooooo then. is it the successor to the gp2x or a totally different animal? i know the touch screen GPH gp2x thingy is new but apart from the touch screen its not something i would ever buy..........

geise69
September 10th, 2007, 22:15
This is a totally different animal from the Gp2x. Craigix is just a distributor of the GP2x, but is hard at work with a bunch of other devs that have already worked on stuff for the GP2x to get this console going. At gp32x.com there is a thread going on about what's going to be in the new console and how much it will be depending on what SoC it's going to have.

saicrazyfire
September 10th, 2007, 23:57
800x400? thats nothing. have you seen the new Archos 5th gen (http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/08/rumored-specs-for-fifth-generation-archos-pmps-surface/) that is supposedly coming out. It's rumoured 800x480 which is amazing...er.
although i got to admit, im excited about this one. hopefully it won't be too expensive...

maxipower90
September 11th, 2007, 01:50
imagine PS2 or if ur lucky 360 graphics on a handheld, man id get one

mavsman4457
September 11th, 2007, 02:14
This thing looks incredible. I am definitely getting one.

bah
September 11th, 2007, 16:01
Sounds quite nice.

As others have said, screen size isn't tied to resolution.

All your old CRT tvs from 32cm to 68cm are the same res, just bigger pixels. Nintendo consoles used to have something about recommending using the smallest TV you have in the manual, to make the games look better.

I believe the GBA micro has the same res screen as the bigger models despite its smaller size also.

Cap'n 1time
September 11th, 2007, 18:00
Sounds quite nice.

As others have said, screen size isn't tied to resolution.

All your old CRT tvs from 32cm to 68cm are the same res, just bigger pixels. Nintendo consoles used to have something about recommending using the smallest TV you have in the manual, to make the games look better.

I believe the GBA micro has the same res screen as the bigger models despite its smaller size also.

All true, thanks for pointing these things out.

cal360
September 11th, 2007, 18:01
There's also a picture now but i'm not sure if that's the same thing.

mavsman4457
September 11th, 2007, 23:04
I sure hope that this thing has bluetooth because that would be a bad hit to not have that implemented into it. Also, would you guys mind posting a small list of the things that you can do with the GP2X? I know it can play a good amount of emulators and it is a great media player but I am wondering how well it can play PS1 games. I am also curious as to to whether or not it can emulate any N64 games. Do you guys think this next version will be able to easily emulate N64 and PS1 games? Maybe gamecube if we're lucky? What are you guys hoping for out of this device and what are your favorite uses of the GP2x? I am also curious to see how big the GP2X is, bigger than the PSP, DS? And I sure hope the new version has a d-pad and two analog sticks plus R1, R2, L1, and L2. It really needs those in order to be an ultimate emulator.

Frogboy
September 12th, 2007, 03:43
Since this isn't a GPH device, I wonder if it can get the support it needs to thrive. I hope it can.

Exophase
September 12th, 2007, 04:55
It's 800x480, don't know where you got a ridiculous 800x400 (who makes screens of this size?)... and I'd also like to know where you got that it's being made in China.

And £150 isn't expected right now. No one knows what it'll be.

mavsman4457
September 13th, 2007, 00:55
It's 800x480, don't know where you got a ridiculous 800x400 (who makes screens of this size?)... and I'd also like to know where you got that it's being made in China.

And £150 isn't expected right now. No one knows what it'll be.

I can back up the fact that it's supposed to be 800x480. The two things that would bring this from a great device would be if it could emulate N64, which is what I am expecting, and if it could emulate PSP at some point. I know the PSP would be hard but it would make it so much better than the PSP 2k if it could emulate it. Also, does anyone know if this will be able to or if the GP2X can run pretty much any application for Linux? I want to run Songbird and play youtube videos and do pretty much anything a PC can do.

Junixx
September 13th, 2007, 01:43
I can back up the fact that it's supposed to be 800x480. The two things that would bring this from a great device would be if it could emulate N64, which is what I am expecting, and if it could emulate PSP at some point. I know the PSP would be hard but it would make it so much better than the PSP 2k if it could emulate it. Also, does anyone know if this will be able to or if the GP2X can run pretty much any application for Linux? I want to run Songbird and play youtube videos and do pretty much anything a PC can do.

This is just off the top of my head, different CPU architecture, so a port is needed Im pretty sure... It would be REALLY hard to emulate the PSP o.o

wiggy fuzz
September 13th, 2007, 08:05
at £150 this thing is actually relativly cheap, i'd buy something like this simply because of the potential for N64 emulaton

slypie
September 13th, 2007, 15:33
sounds good I would buy one over the crappy redesign of the GP2X. I still find it hard to believe they didn't put a litium battery in the thing.

yaustar
September 13th, 2007, 17:31
It is looking to be £150 min and £200 max pending on the SoC used in the device.

hithere91
September 14th, 2007, 23:28
**** You Nerd You Mother****er Who Made This Shit You Wasted My So Be Gone Creatin!!!!

Smokerman
September 25th, 2007, 00:46
banned

one winged angel
September 30th, 2007, 17:56
i hope this thing will have decent specs in 3d if it could emulate a gamecube i would pay even 500 bucks

yaustar
September 30th, 2007, 23:35
i hope this thing will have decent specs in 3d if it could emulate a gamecube i would pay even 500 bucks

It won't.

mastersho
October 1st, 2007, 00:30
Yup, this sounds like something that's worth importing. Can't wait to get my hands on one. Gets me one step away from taking over the worl....I mean from awesome homebrew...yeah that what I meant.

punkonjunk
October 5th, 2007, 11:47
hey, I'm a bit excited for this... but one thing I find a bit upsetting -
Know what else is 300 bucks? a REALLY decent laptop.
Look into the eeePC. I mean, handhelds are great, and the psp is awesome for emulation... so building on that would be cool, but why, when the system costs as much as a small computer that can do all that, AND browse the internet with a full REAL keyboard, and you know... do everything a computer can?

This handheld might be a homebrew dream, but why not just get a laptop, at that price? The only reason I picked up my 2 psps is because they were "broken"ish and it was an easy fix. about 50 bucks for the two - and 150 new for the slim isn't bad, for how powerful it is.

I guess it's a matter of budget, and I may get one anyway. But it seems silly, when it's nearing the price of true computers.

I feel like I'm rambling and can't get my point across. Anyone see what I'm getting at?

Exophase
October 6th, 2007, 22:35
hey, I'm a bit excited for this... but one thing I find a bit upsetting -
Know what else is 300 bucks? a REALLY decent laptop.
Look into the eeePC. I mean, handhelds are great, and the psp is awesome for emulation... so building on that would be cool, but why, when the system costs as much as a small computer that can do all that, AND browse the internet with a full REAL keyboard, and you know... do everything a computer can?

This handheld might be a homebrew dream, but why not just get a laptop, at that price? The only reason I picked up my 2 psps is because they were "broken"ish and it was an easy fix. about 50 bucks for the two - and 150 new for the slim isn't bad, for how powerful it is.

I guess it's a matter of budget, and I may get one anyway. But it seems silly, when it's nearing the price of true computers.

I feel like I'm rambling and can't get my point across. Anyone see what I'm getting at?

Yes, I see eee coming up, suddenly people think that $300 is the standard for a new laptop before it's even out.

I'll give you three big reasons right off the top of my head:

- not nearly as portable (ie, no way you're carrying this in your pocket, even a coat pocket, so you can't just easily lug it with you anywhere)
- battery life will probably be signifcantly worse
- won't have controls that are good for emulating consoles, you know, dpad + game buttons

Besides that, this device will be able to browse the internet, will have a real keyboard (obviously not a full sized one but a real one nonetheless), and a touchscreen which eee will definitely NOT have.

And if the OMAP3430 is chosen the 3D acceleration (PowerVR SGX) will be more sophisticated than what the Intel GMA900 offers.

JKKDARK
October 6th, 2007, 23:01
I heard this powerful handheld will put the PSP in the homebrew cementery with the original PlayStation

manaox2
October 16th, 2007, 22:54
First time hearing of this... its going to be released in days? and where is everyone getting more news on this? It seems like such a rumor.

Does it have infrared too?

argor
October 17th, 2007, 00:58
First time hearing of this... its going to be released in days? and where is everyone getting more news on this? It seems like such a rumor.

Does it have infrared too?
not released in days rather months
we are getting all the news of console at gp32x forums
and no it is not a rumor

i just did sumit some news of the latest
Development of the console if you like to learn more
you shuthe read it

pibs
October 17th, 2007, 01:16
thanks on the details of how big it is captn1x im still gona get it tho i just thought it was gona be smaller but w/es i hope it has a good writing program so i can take notes with the stylus cuz i write faster than i type.

kryst abegnalie
October 18th, 2007, 11:52
Ive seen it in their website. The gp2x F200 series, with the touchscreen interface, and newer cpu, but the size, WTF, its so huge, yet the screen is so tiny compared to the PSP widescreen. Well i will gonna buy a laptop instead of this.

argor
October 18th, 2007, 12:32
Ive seen it in their website. The gp2x F200 series, with the touchscreen interface, and newer cpu, but the size, WTF, its so huge, yet the screen is so tiny compared to the PSP widescreen. Well i will gonna buy a laptop instead of this.
the killer handheld is not gp2x F200
it is this :cool:
http://craiginator.bluwiki.com/
and
you may like to look at this forums
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=167

and
gp32x.com

argor
October 18th, 2007, 16:01
just posting this for peobole that don´t read gp32x forums craigix posted this
We *may* have some videos soon of stuff running on the new machine, when I say soon I mean maybe next month.

As for the price vs. power just read the massive thread. It was well established what people wanted there. For $200 you are *NOT* going to get a next gen handheld. It's just the nature of the technology.

What you will get for around $320 is the rolls royce of handhelds. It will be like the Amiga was when it showed up back in the 80's and should go on for several years.

$320 might be a lot... but what price was the PSP + a few games when it was launched?