PDA

View Full Version : Terror concerns behind prison console ban

Shrygue
September 10th, 2007, 20:13
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=171704)

Next-gen consoles have been banned from UK jails following concerns they could be used to coordinate terror attacks

The Sun reports that games consoles that can be used by inmates to send and receive radio signals have been deemed too much of a threat to the peace. Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's DS consoles have reportedly been banned from jails as a result.

As reported previously, UK home secretary John Reid said in March, "Advice was issued to all prisons in December 2005 that the Sony PlayStation 3 was barred from the prison estate because of the equipment's ability to send and receive radio signals." The banning of games consoles in UK prisons has now seemingly been extended to Microsoft and Nintendo systems.

A source told the UK tabloid, "The technology in the new generation of computer games makes them a security risk.

"There is concern that top terror suspects have been using systems already in jails. Radio software is an integral part of the equipment."

A secret security report obtained by the paper suggests that fears extend beyond the communication capabilities offered by next-gen consoles, with the banning of all games consoles in prisons still a possibility.

sonofsamus
September 10th, 2007, 22:57
Why would prisoners be allowed to have game consoles anyway? Prison isn't supposed to be fun.

Sp3ct0r
September 10th, 2007, 22:58
Lmao!! Just imagine prisoners using pictochat to plan a jail break! :D lol that would be hilarious

jools
September 10th, 2007, 23:39
...lol

VampDude
September 11th, 2007, 00:10
That's just stupid, they would have to know the wireless internet settings of the prison servers to even get some of what they have suggested.

alexvander
September 11th, 2007, 01:09
Why would prisoners be allowed to have game consoles anyway? Prison isn't supposed to be fun.
thats what i thought too i kinda makes me want to go to jail since they have the next gen consols lol

Veskgar
September 11th, 2007, 03:20
Jails, the prison system, and the legal system in general is big business for the USA. So much money is generated for states off commissary. Its just very rare that Video Games are part of the commissary list. It must only be in Federal low security facilities. In the USA anyway. In country jail and medium/high level prisons, there are no video games.

ish420ism
September 11th, 2007, 04:31
this reminds me of the southpark episode where the japs were using the playstation to set off nukes in the u.s.
Silly Dummies