PDA

View Full Version : PSP 2000 Slim & Lite 3.60 M33 Homebrew Compatibility Video

darksoft
September 11th, 2007, 18:48
I have installed the 3.60 M33 on my slim yesterday, and figured I'd make a nice video showing off the homebrew it is capable of playing (a lot of stuff). A lot of people are thinking that many programs are no longer compatible, but most that I've seen people mentioning ARE compatible, so have a looksie at my compatibility thread:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73691

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/FzppiXdG1ic

NESTERJ, Daedalus,gpSP, Homers Rin, PS1 Eboots, etc etc all working!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
September 11th, 2007, 19:07
How long before brew is lite only and us phat owners are left in the cold...:(

wraggster
September 11th, 2007, 19:12
never i would say.

Nice work Darksoft :)

Baboon
September 11th, 2007, 19:17
The one i want to see running in time is Daedalus.

darksoft
September 11th, 2007, 19:20
Daedalus is running!! Mario 64 runs the same if not better than before.

LilSwish722
September 11th, 2007, 19:25
Well that settles it. I'm DEF getting a new PSP. No lying. Great video. Great work Team M33. You guys are my heroes.

drock82
September 11th, 2007, 19:25
i guess the maker of daedulus is gona port the emulator to the slim psp since it got more ram,so he probably working on it as we speak just be patient-why do u think it havent been released yet:rolleyes:

Baboon
September 11th, 2007, 19:31
Daedalus is running!! Mario 64 runs the same if not better than before.

Yep I watched it boot nicely in your video, I just wanted to know how the games played on it... thanks for letting us know. :D

Top video. :thumbup:

bah
September 11th, 2007, 19:46
Having the slim opened to homebrew so soon after release (before in Aus) surely has to put smiles on more than enough faces to cancel out the pain felt by sony execs right about now.

Almost makes one believe in karma :)

How long before brew is lite only and us phat owners are left in the cold...:(

Sure I'd be somewhat pissed as an original PSP owner if the majority of devs chose to make PSP2000 exclusive apps at some point (possibly soon for some apps, who knows?).

But if they are doing things with the extra RAM that just aren't possible with less then its got to be a good thing.

I don't think this will spell the end of great homebrew on the original any time soon, hopefully it will not be too difficult for devs to make their work compatible with both, at least for all but the most ambitious projects.

The authors are working on their own time, if they produce something I cant (but others can) run then really we should buy the newer model or continue to enjoy all the amazing PSP1000 based homebrew of the present and future.

Increases in performance of apps or the possibility of things that were previously not possible surely must compliment existing PSP homebrew rather than detract from it if many apps run on both.

jurkevicz
September 11th, 2007, 19:57
has anybody tryed to put custom themes on the slim yet?

SnesR0X
September 11th, 2007, 20:06
has anybody tryed to put custom themes on the slim yet?

ICE tried, and it bricked

Accordion
September 11th, 2007, 20:11
i wonder what resolution PSone titles play in when using video-out?

if they could output at full screen instead of letterbox it would be very nice.

bah
September 11th, 2007, 20:27
i wonder what resolution PSone titles play in when using video-out?

if they could output at full screen instead of letterbox it would be very nice.

That's a really good point, anyone know if they display in their original aspect ratio or widescreen like LCD?

Safari Al
September 11th, 2007, 20:53
simply amazing that this would happen so fast!

darksoft
September 11th, 2007, 20:55
Yeah, they are only outputable in Progressive mode via the component cable.

This means that its in the center 480 x 272 pixels of the HDTV. You cannot (that I've found and I've played a lot with settings) get it any bigger.

I am actually hoping for a regular composite out / interlace plugin to get around the whole 'you can only play games with in progressive mode with the component cable)

I'm also on a hunt to find something to downconvert from progressive component to interlaced composite (like a vcr, dvd player / receiver whatever)

So far no good.

darksoft
September 11th, 2007, 20:58
I will also say that last night I went on a craigslist / circuit city hunt with my component cables to see if it looks different on LCDS compared to Tube HDTV's and I'd say the tube feels more like old school def. They are cheaper too, but the text on the tiny screen (such as in the credits intro of daxter) is almost impossible to read (squinting) Gameplay wise though less intensive on the eyes, no ghosting and doesn't look to pixelated compared to an LCD.

At circuit city I tried it out on a couple cheaper 32" LCD HDTV's and it just didn't impress me, like I would rather just almost play it on the PSP screen. I really really really hope there is some way into using interlaced mode compared to progressive while playing. But like I said before its possible the PSP has to do processing on the signal to output interlaced which utilizes the CPU and if that were the case it would put a slowdown in games (hence the reason why sony doesn't allow for it)

V3N0M
September 11th, 2007, 23:31
You all understand that there is no "PSP Slim Exclusive Homebrew”? It just uses the 3.XX Kernel and for those of you who don't know you can use the same kernel on the PSP Phat. The only difference is you can't use the 1.5 kernel on PSP Slim for various reasons. The only homebrew that would be “PSP Slim Only” would just be homebrew that requires the extra RAM to run. Other than that they are both compatible with each other. It's just that from now you may need to switch your kernel from 1.5 to 3.XX on your old PSP Phat.

o1mlc
September 12th, 2007, 00:28
Much kudos to Darksoft for the compatibility list, I'd rather arrogantly suggested earlier (in another thread) that someone start one. It wasn't that I was being lazy just I don't have a slim yet and was keen for someone to give a more definitive list than "It works!".

I'm in the UK, waiting to get PSP slim from a shop over here then if brick I can then take it back and get a replacement...hehehe!

If almost all the homebrew and psp/psx games seem to work ok I think we'll all be hoping to pick up a slim...happy days!

mike_jmg
September 12th, 2007, 01:11
As I see it, the only thing not working is the snes9xtyl, but wasn't the "me" version the one that needed 1.5, so the other ones might work don't you think???

Too bad the output is so small, I hope it gets better with the FW updates, anyway I'll get my Ice silver Psp slim, hell yeah! (once i got money though)

sukhi-2006
September 12th, 2007, 02:43
The psp 1000 can be played on tv with blaze tv adaptor which isn't bad at all the quality is quite good, the snes9x me version is much better then the other one if the me version doesn't work the psp slim is lame and it's not full screen on tv which isn't good at all with blaze tv adaptor it comes widescreen on tv for psp 1000 which is alot better than psp slim on tv.

Uberman
September 12th, 2007, 05:59
Mad props to the poster for keeping the camera in focus. :D

CaptainMorgan4
September 12th, 2007, 06:03
How much are the Silver PSP Slims going for in the States? I don't want to get some bundle pack I just want the Silver Slim with the charger and battery I don't need any useless accessories or any games to go with it.

Veskgar
September 12th, 2007, 08:10
How much are the Silver PSP Slims going for in the States? I don't want to get some bundle pack I just want the Silver Slim with the charger and battery I don't need any useless accessories or any games to go with it.

They only sell the bundles currently. I picked up the ice silver Slim today for $199.99 (Daxter Pack) - I know that many don't need the extra bonus's but the extra $30.00 (in comparison to the $169.99 core PHAT) was well spent considering I just successfully installed 3.60 M33 CFW and now have a homebrew-enabled Slim.

The PSP scene is so lucky to have such brilliant work being done so fast by many great dev teams & coders.

makedonii
September 12th, 2007, 11:20
i can run Iso or .sce PSP backups on it right? or whatever the files are called?
do i need a program for that, or i just put the iso/.sce file in the GAME150 directory?
i'm talking about the PSP Slim 3.60 M33 of course

Safari Al
September 12th, 2007, 12:04
don't ask about iso's here.

o1mlc
September 12th, 2007, 13:48
@sukhi-2006 - Whilst I agree the Blaze adaptor may work well for old PSPs, the main reason a lot of people are excited for the slim is the 64Mb of RAM and the implications this has for improved homebrew / emulators etc...(N64 and MAME).

As I've posted previously, I'd love to have the slim up on the tv, using Xbox 360 pad for the joypad but ultimately it is a portable system and I actually use mine whilst commuting. As I mostly use emulators - specifically SNES, GBA and GBC then this would be my main concern...Darksoft's video puts pay to most of the doubt a lot of folks may have...

I might have missed it but does CPS 1 & 2 work on CFW 3.60 M33??

pichon
September 12th, 2007, 15:02
Nope, CPS1, CPS2 and MVS don't work. I've tried from the latest to 1.66 and no luck, quite sad since those are the best emus for PSP imo

darksoft
September 12th, 2007, 18:23
using the blaze adapter makes your psp into a waffle iron, which isn't very portable. Considering the lightness and thinness of the new slim, and considering it offers tv out while not adding anything to bulkiness, is a pure selling point to me. I have loved playing emulators etc on her, but plugging in old favorites into the tv will be so much more nostalgic. Not to mention will propably look more like they did before. Once again though, I've yet to find a component to composite cable / vcr / dvd / receiver. So we're stuck in HDTV progressive mode, pixel for pixel. So now I'm on a search for a tv that supports a zoom feature and then I could just zoom in on the signal and hopefully have it fullscreen. Anyone have an HDTV with zoom feature?

Accordion
September 12th, 2007, 19:14
using the blaze adapter makes your psp into a waffle iron, which isn't very portable. Considering the lightness and thinness of the new slim, and considering it offers tv out while not adding anything to bulkiness, is a pure selling point to me. I have loved playing emulators etc on her, but plugging in old favorites into the tv will be so much more nostalgic. Not to mention will propably look more like they did before. Once again though, I've yet to find a component to composite cable / vcr / dvd / receiver. So we're stuck in HDTV progressive mode, pixel for pixel. So now I'm on a search for a tv that supports a zoom feature and then I could just zoom in on the signal and hopefully have it fullscreen. Anyone have an HDTV with zoom feature?

my samsung has zoom, and wide zoom, and some other picture distorting nonsense. I thought most tvs had various picture modes?

i also dont see how forcing an interlaced output would help. some form of upscaling is required.

darksoft
September 12th, 2007, 21:13
What model samsung is it?
The interlaced mode goes fullscreen and watching family guy umd looks better on an sdtv than on a HDTV (easier on the eyes)

I would rather have the good ol interlace so I can play it on my SDTV and not have to upgrade to a Costly ghostly LCD HDTV.

D0N
September 12th, 2007, 21:15
Does anybody know if any Mega Drive/Genesis emulators work on the Slim?

Accordion
September 12th, 2007, 21:31
What model samsung is it?
The interlaced mode goes fullscreen and watching family guy umd looks better on an sdtv than on a HDTV (easier on the eyes)

I would rather have the good ol interlace so I can play it on my SDTV and not have to upgrade to a Costly ghostly LCD HDTV.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86BD/

i dont have a PSP with video out though so i have no idea how much difference it would make.