PDA

View Full Version : Palm OS Emulator

drmk83
September 12th, 2007, 16:42
Hi there everybody. First post. Hope it sparks some discussion / research / development into this area of interest to me.

With emulators available for so many other consoles on the DS, why hasn't anyone thought of porting Palm OS over to the DS?

I have found a link on google regarding running the palm os emulator for windows / unix, and there is a link to some source, but as a non programmer, Im pretty much clueless when it comes to this stuff.

http://www.netmeister.org/palm/POSE/POSE-HOWTO.html

Its understood that the Palm OS kernel will require some access to RAM. The DS has 4mb of ram on board. The older Palm OS roms weigh in at around 2mb it seems. I have no idea where to find the OS roms but i'm sure as a community its possible.

The only reason I suggest emulating Palm OS is to open up a gigantic back catalogue of portable software. Apps such as iSilo, medical software, financial software, contacts, to-do lists, etc etc... basically emulating Palm Os in order to make the DS into a portable classic palm pda.

The touch screen on the DS is perfect for use with Graffiti (Palm's hand-writting recognition software).

Granted the ability to hot-sync would be difficult as you dont have access to wi-fi drivers or irda on the DS. But would it be possible to create a PC based GUI front end, that say reads your flash cart media thru USB? If we further rom hack and create a temporary "drive" which emulates flash media (sd), found on your flash drive. So instead of having to update the rom everytime you want to sync information with your pc over usb. Now you would have the ability to use a PC program to create a folder and save file to the flash media, and then the palm os rom would read from this folder on your flash media as its "sd-card" and thus be able to update your contacts/programs/etc...

Im sorry if I make no sense. Just throwing the idea out there. Again, anyone who is qualified to do this knows much better than me. What is feasable on the DS is beyond my scope of understanding. I encourage the homebrew scene to muster up support/interest for this type of project.

~ Dr. Mo

::Xraxa, plz:.
September 15th, 2007, 02:03
Cool idea, would be nice to get some old palm games on the DS, Bike or Die being my favorite.