PDA

View Full Version : Even more PS3/PSP firmware coming soon

wraggster
September 12th, 2007, 20:24
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/12/even-more-ps3-psp-firmware-coming-soon/)

You know what we say? Lair-Shmair. Who cares if there's a killer-app on PS3 if they're going to keep updating the firmware all the time? It's like getting a new console every couple of weeks! (Sure, 360 owners can say the same, but that just because they have to keep mailing them off for repair.) Take, for instance, firmware 1.93 coming in the "next few days" that ... well, it fixes a network disconnect problem created by 1.92. Hmm. ... Let's move on.

On PSP, you've got the upcoming 3.71, which adds "many features that readers [of the Sony blog] have requested." No, they're not talking about any at the moment except for themes, which was actually in 3.70. Either way it's a "must-download," if only to protect ourselves from the ever-approaching homebrew menace.

steve520
September 12th, 2007, 20:27
yeah figures sony would continue to update shit they cant stop hackers though no one will.muhahahaha. we will win.

DarthPaul
September 12th, 2007, 20:33
Damn, I hope the PSP's feature is that good.

What could that be? Homebrew support!? Nah...

steve520
September 12th, 2007, 20:36
No sony has there heads to far up there asses to allow homebrew. lol

jonezybaby
September 12th, 2007, 21:29
i dont really use my psp asmuch as i used to, but i would love 2 see sum features from psp on my ps3!!

like it would be cool to have custom themes etc.

Emeriastone
September 13th, 2007, 00:07
The ever approaching homebrew menace? What??

Classic80s
September 13th, 2007, 00:40
yeah figures sony would continue to update shit they cant stop hackers though no one will.muhahahaha. we will win.

w8 u hack?

VexnadFett
September 13th, 2007, 01:43
lol... technically if you think about it... Sony has had all firmwares homebrew enabled... well... with a little work at least ^_____^

pimp12
September 13th, 2007, 01:58
lol

urherenow
September 13th, 2007, 06:14
it's already here.... 3.71... with security updates this time. Will this one spell trouble?

BrooksyX
September 13th, 2007, 06:22
3.71 is out now.

I am guessing that 3.71 M33 will be out by the weekend.

Basil Zero
September 13th, 2007, 09:27
3.71 is out now.

hopefully i cant wait to get it, since i'm still on 3.40 OE-A, and with all these updates, best time for being waiting xD

Cloudhunter
September 13th, 2007, 10:05
Hah, Sony doesn't have any exploits to block that have been discovered, so it isn't just to stop homebrew.

Besides, they can't beat pandora!

Cloudy

CaG00s3
September 19th, 2007, 00:42
3.71 is out now.

don't bet on it, Sony has the OE code that M33 used to make 3.60 M33, they threw in a few curve balls that they're still working around.

**EDIT** For those of you that don't know, I should add this in. the psp original firmware 3.60 is actually older than 3.52. The reason for this is that the slim was already in production and it was too late to change the FW. The OE firmware leak came after the final 3.60 firmware had already been finished and, as such, the lessons Sony learned about how M33, DAX, N00Bz and company were dumping flash and modifying prx's in order to run kxploit had not been learned yet.

Additionally Sony falsely believed that in creating such a change in security and hardware that the 1.50 kernel could not run on the PSP that they could prevent downgrading because up until 8/22 all downgrading as we knew it relied on kxploit and a HEN enabled environment. But then Pandora's little black box was opened and out came a 3.6 volt shock.

Again, for those of you that don't know, the pandora's box exploit is actually Sony technology. Back in the early days of homebrew and hello worlds, rumours circulated that a bricked PSP had been sent to Sony, who sent back a battery and a 1GB memory stick, if my memory stick serves me correctly, i can't exactly remember how it went, not many people believed it. But it was true and the real reason for it was because Sony knew that in the early days, especially with the 1.00 kernel, that some games were buggy and caused the PSP to become unstable and brick in order to prevent a breach in security, this was an easier and more economical way to fix the issue than to give away free PSPs should there be mass problems with a game.

This was purely hypothetical situation that assumed that Sony may miss some major bug before giving a developer the go ahead and that thousands of copies would be delivered before the bug was discovered. As we know today there have been at least a few buggy releases, namely GTA:LCS and Lumines, but none as buggy as Sony anticipated. It seems that now Pandora could potentially make Sony's back door more costly for them than just replacing a few units.

Given all this, Sony announced the week of the Slim's launch that it would be hacked soon enough, and that it would be no surprise, but they also hinted at some fixes. Now that they know what we know, they've created 3.70, which is a real bio**h to hack, so my suggestion, just stick with 3.60 M33 because there's always a chance that if you upgrade you will not be able to downgrade, even with pandora. From what I've seen of the 3.70 prx's, they've really changed some things around, indeed I cannot figure out what half of their modules do and it doesn't sound as if M33 is doing much better.

Dark Alex, has, as everyone knows, removed himself from the homebrew scene, but will continue to lend a hand in anything that cannot be directly linked to illegal activities, such as loading iso's.

If you guys have a spare 20 in your wallets, theres always M33's paypal account.

seƒerismo
September 20th, 2007, 02:51
it's already here.... 3.71... with security updates this time. Will this one spell trouble?

not unless sony dumps the idea of cat and mouse.
its part of the strategy for sales. more option on the console meaning more users. awhile when dreamcast was release vs the ps1. we all know that ps1 is much easier to find games(backups) than dreamcast before. so people would go for the biggest games libraries.