PDA

View Full Version : Oh I so want to play homebrew (emulation especially)

eckythump
July 1st, 2005, 18:04
OK help me decide, because I can't.

I have a PSP which I stupidly upgraded so can't play, I've been into emulation for a while on my PC (and Dreamcast), not really into SNES (which seems the biggest emulator) but do like MAME, the Amiga thing sounds cool, and I'm hoping a Spectrum emulator comes out at some point.

I read everyday about all the new emulators, but I haven't got a good feel to whether these things are just technical demos, or really work, with sound, 100% speed, fully playable. What is the current status - is the PSP a good emulation tool (and will continue to be for a long time), or is it just a passing craze and the PSP doesn't really have the power to perform perfect emulation?

I have two choices at this stage if I want to play :-

. Take my PSP back to EBGAMES and use the return policy. However two problems - 1 I have a perfect PSP no dead pixels etc, and 2 - EBGAMES told me that the warranty I bought only covers 1 replacement so if my replacement breaks I'm screwed. And anyway I will have to upgrade to 1.52 to play the new stuff.

. Buy a new PSP whilst I can still get 1.5 and use that just for homebrew.

Sorry for the long post.
Help :-)

Puerrican718
July 1st, 2005, 18:18
In my honest opinion, you can do what i wanna do, which is buy another psp, keep one for emulation at 1.5 and another psp for the newer psp games that will make you upgrade to newer firmware. Its costly yes... but atleast its a sure fire way of being able to not worry about future games released. Though this method is costly :D PLUS theres no gaurentee you will get a v1.5 psp as that there being reported close to being sold out as sony is rolling out newer v1.52 for PSPs so goodluck dude :(

shizzle
July 1st, 2005, 18:22
try for a 1.0

CannedSoup
July 1st, 2005, 18:28
No point in getting a 1.0. They are expensive and 1.5 do the same now plus you can hide the data so it works just like a 1.0.

eckythump
July 1st, 2005, 18:28
Is 1.0 still a better version to have, thougth it doesn't really matter now?

Puerrican718
July 1st, 2005, 19:32
doesnt matter anymore, 1.0 is more expensive cuz its a japanese console version imported so naturally it'll be abit more expensive. But with 1.5 cracked its completely useless to get a 1.0