PDA

View Full Version : WiiCR - Wii Media Center cancelled

wraggster
September 12th, 2007, 20:47
Heres the details from the homepage (http://wiicr.org/wiki/index.php/WiiCR):

Well its been fun. Im officially retiring from development of this project with the reason being I am utterly bored with the nintendo wii software library and sick to death of the 1/2 arsed opera browser.
Sorry to sound bitter but I will not be buying another nintendo console, I was there for the n64 and gamecube both of which didnt share the wii's initial success but are carbon copys of the wii's pathetic game release cycle.
Expect to see the tired old argument "We are not focused on hardcore gamers" to be used constantly to explain: lack of games, yet another minigame compilation, xbox/ ps2/psp ports and general piss poor software library.
The only game I am interested in playing on the Wii in the near future is mariokart, but given that nintendo has pushed it back yet again it became the final straw for myself. I sold my wii for $300au with all original equipment so I didnt lose out to much.
What console next, well for my the ps3 seems ideal for several key points:
Web browser is actually 1/2 decent from all reports
linux support out the box
bluetooth / wireless support
free online gameplay etc
The only thing that holds me back the current price, which will drop to my acceptable level soon enough.
Should anyone wish to take over the project feel free. For myself it was always a curiosity seeing as I have a linux pc hooked up to my tv in the lounge.
mem out

Each to their own i suppose

mastersho
September 12th, 2007, 22:12
Im sorry to hear that the wii media center has been cancelled. i was looking forward to seeing it up and running.

Anunnaki
September 13th, 2007, 00:06
Curious, what is the difference between 1/2 arsed and 1/2 decent. If something is 1/2 arsed then the is the rest 1/2 decent? If something is 1/2 decent then is the rest 1/2 arsed?

I agree with the software library and future upcoming titles. I am totally looking forward to Mario Cart, Mario Galaxy and a few other Nintendo 1st party titles, some 2nd and some 3rd party titles as well. However, when I see some of the killer upcoming PS3 titles, it is clear Nintendo will eventually be sitting at the number 3 spot for the Wii console.

I have a theory. I feel the Wii is a huge experiment by Nintendo. If they made a console on par with PS3/XBOX360 with the WiiMote and lost money on every console they made and it flopped, Nintendo would never potentially never be able to develop a home console again and would have to stick to the handheld console market.

Now that the Wii is a success and gamers are letting it be known that they are unhappy with the choice of games for the Wii, I imagine a new Wii will be out in 3 years or maybe 2, that is as powerful as a PS3 or Xbox360.

Vincent D. Brumback

mr_nick666
September 13th, 2007, 08:53
Sad he's leaving and sad he talks crap :(

bmemike
September 13th, 2007, 12:25
I don't think he's talking crap - he's voicing his opinion based on a lot more time invested in the Wii than most people on the forums.

Since I've never really been too interested with most of the 3rd party tools (hardware or software), it doesn't affect me. But I don't think we should just dismiss his point of view because "he's no longer a Nintendo fan".

AngelicLiver
September 13th, 2007, 15:34
He's bitter that he'd not made any headway with the project I think, it's been dead in the water for months... The whole denouncing Nintendo thing scores highly on the 'I'm big blubby prat' meter.

XBMC is a daunting project to try to live up to, I can't say I didn't see this coming from a mile away. Nintendo's catalogue of software will improve over time, there is enough out there to keep my interest piqued and it's too early to let loose the fanboy cannons.

bah
September 13th, 2007, 15:50
I know new homebrew is always a good thing, but a chipped/softmodded xbox can be bought 2nd hand pretty cheap, can take a huge HDD with little effort and (as AngelicLiver said) XBMC is one very high mark to be compared with.

YourStillWithMe
September 13th, 2007, 21:25
The best bit of news i've heard in a while on here. I am sick of my Wii quite frankly, Smash Bros? Only reason I have a Wii. All the othergames are garbage and you ALL know that!

Resident Evil 4-Good
Wii sports-Good
Smash Bros-Will Be GOD LIKE!

and thats it. PS3=More integrated environment to work from. It is better and like he said, is compatible with Linux from square one. The Wii? Blocked homebrew even from the Gamecube method. All you dumb people im sure upgraded your Wii's......me? No. I'm not an idiot.

paul1991
September 13th, 2007, 21:58
Sounds like he was just in the closet.
He loved sony all this time, but just was able to admit it.
Look at the DS. It took almost 1 year for good games to come out. Now, almost all big company releases are very anticipated while nobody cares what is released for the PS[Fill in blank].

Accordion
September 13th, 2007, 22:05
Look at the DS. It took almost 1 year for good games to come out. Now, almost all big company releases are very anticipated while nobody cares what is released for the PS[Fill in blank].

almost funny.

DPyro
September 14th, 2007, 00:24
He's right, I haven't touched the Wii in months, while PS3 keeps me happy :)

DKing
September 14th, 2007, 16:16
What a whiner.

mem-wiicr
September 16th, 2007, 05:31
Hey all, sorry if I ruffled any feathers, Navarr let me know about the thread so thought Id join and answer what I can.

I don't think he's talking crap - he's voicing his opinion based on a lot more time invested in the Wii than most people on the forums.Thank you.

He's bitter that he'd not made any headway with the project I think, it's been dead in the water for months... The whole denouncing Nintendo thing scores highly on the 'I'm big blubby prat' meter.So apart from 1st homebrew dev (I admit its not traditional homebrew) to have working streaming media, mp3 etc. But this is 1 thing I have come to expect from console fanboys - there is no logic to their argument just petty denouncing of people who dont see eye to eye with them.

I know new homebrew is always a good thing, but a chipped/softmodded xbox can be bought 2nd hand pretty cheap, can take a huge HDD with little effort and (as AngelicLiver said) XBMC is one very high mark to be compared with.Its true, Wiicr was only ever a curiousty for me and can it be done ?. If you want a nice media player I highly reccomend the above. It was XBMC beautiful work that inspired me to knock up wiicr.

The best bit of news i've heard in a while on here. I am sick of my Wii quite frankly, Smash Bros? Only reason I have a Wii. All the othergames are garbage and you ALL know that!Exactly will someone please wake me up when nintendo actually does something of intrest (please read - not another franchise game). When mario kart comes out chances are I will rebuy a wii as the game is incredible and I loooooved the gc version.

Look at the DS. It took almost 1 year for good games to come out. Now, almost all big company releases are very anticipated while nobody cares what is released for the PS[Fill in blank].Typical fanboy comments which also caused me to grow tired of coding for the community. Also comparing handle held to a console is apple and pears my friend.

The irc log from me and Navarr discussing this recent bit of news.

* mem has quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
<Navarr> woah, mem, canceled?
<mem1> well not cancled
<mem1> but yer
<mem1> :P
<mem1> I dont have a wii anymore
<mem1> Id like to resurect wiicr as a simple webbased media player
<mem1> but no time atm
<mem1> about to get back into namefix.pl programming
<mem1> and yer
<mem1> as I stated
<mem1> Im sick of nintendo and their pissy game library crap
<Navarr> meh
<Navarr> I'm taking over
<Navarr> you know that, right? :-p
<mem1> well u have tried 2x but cbf :P
<mem1> so your more than welcome
<mem1> but wiicr stays as perl code base
<mem1> welcome to use derivative names
<mem1> all code etc
<mem1> general gpl stuff :P
<Navarr> heh
<Navarr> WiiCR X will be taking over.
<Navarr> I can't continue work on WiiCR
<mem1> all power 2 ya
<Navarr> seeing as I know nothing of Perl
<Navarr> news posted.
<Navarr> thank gawd I read DCemu
<mem1> will give me an excuse to learn some more php
* Navarr gives voice to mem1
<Navarr> lol
<Navarr> people are saying some crazy shit about you mem
<Navarr> Sounds like he was just in the closet.
<Navarr> He loved sony all this time, but just was able to admit it.
<Navarr> Look at the DS. It took almost 1 year for good games to come out. Now, almost all big company releases are very anticipated while nobody cares what is released for the PS[Fill in blank].
<mem1> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73876
<mem1> fanboys make me laugh
<Navarr> lol
<mem1> dunno why u would be 1 console to own them all
<Navarr> i'll always remember you as the person who started WiiCR
<mem1> :)
<mem1> I will prolly get a DS
<mem1> :P
<mem1> thats got a nice game library
<Navarr> are you gonna dev it?
<Navarr> that would be totally awesome
<mem1> dsvcr ?>
<mem1> hrmm
<Navarr> lol
<Navarr> no
<mem1> dunno depends how the opera browser works
<Navarr> hahah
<Navarr> fck no
<Navarr> but like, hit the homebrew scene?
<Navarr> we dont need a media player for the DS
<Navarr> we already have one
<Navarr> Moonshell
<mem1> cool

Feel free to ask any questions I will drop back in time to time. Id like to thank the userbase, contributors, themers, and dcemu their part in wiicr. It was fun while it lasted guys. :)