PDA

View Full Version : Is Apple losing its shine?

wraggster
December 5th, 2013, 22:57
Some observers have seen Apple’s launches this year as proof of a strategy, and a sign that the powerhouse firm isn’t about to lose market share yet.
“Apple are constantly surprising me at present – I was in the ‘Apple without direction after Jobs’ camp until I saw iOS 7, Mavericks and the Mac Pro,” Robert Peckham of MacTechnology told PCR, referring to the latest iterations of Apple’s operating systems and the high-end desktop PC set for release this month.
“More new portable products and updates to OS X were serving as a distraction from the appearance that Apple weren’t concentrating on developing any new Macs."
“But then the new Mac Pro was announced. It’s obvious this design has taken longer to bring to market than Apple had predicted, but it shows what’s yet to come from the company."
“I actually reckon they’re set to be going ahead stronger than ever.”
Brian Trevaskiss of More Computers reflected that while some may criticise seemingly minor annual updates, Apple is still strong at its core.
“Apple have launched some truly innovative products, but it’s unrealistic to expect new innovations every year,” he told PCR.
“The iPhone and iPad are tough acts to follow.”
Trevaskiss added that the announcement of the new Mac Pro was a particularly strong move by Apple.
“This market will always need powerful desktops, and it’s an area Apple has always targeted – so it makes perfect sense for it to continue,” he explained.
Ben Wood, director of devices at market tracker CCS Insight, stated that Apple is also successfully fending off increased competition from lower-priced tablets, saying: “Whilst Apple is set to maintain its dominance of the premium tablet market and stranglehold of value share, its entry-level iPad Mini offerings are coming under pressure from increasing competition from players such as Amazon and Google, alongside new launches from Tesco and Nokia.”
Wood added that Apple is making the right moves in order to convince consumers that its premium prices are worthwhile, by offering software and services for free.
“Arguably the most important announcements the company made are related to software,” he said.
“Offering its iWorks suite [of productivity software] free with new Mac and iOS devices and offering existing customers free upgrades is a clear effort to disrupt Microsoft’s established business model.”
“This signals to customers that they can buy an Apple product with confidence and get major updates at no additional charge. This will accelerate consumer adoption of future iOS and OS X software releases and give Apple a platform from which it can accelerate new service roll outs and adoption.”

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/is-apple-losing-its-shine/032655