PDA

View Full Version : MAX Power TOOL Appears at Play Asia

wraggster
September 12th, 2007, 23:10
Before i go sleep i like to see whats coming soon for consoles and lo and behold Play Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-71-bg-49-en-84-j-70-295x.html)are now taking preorders on the Max Power Tool (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-71-bg-49-en-84-j-70-295x.html)

http://image1.play-asia.com/170/5u/pa.105189.1.jpg

features
Special TOOL version of our PSP battery works in exactly the same way as a standard SONY PSP battery but has the ability to put your PSP into service mode for custom firmware use.
TOOL functionality is hard-coded into the battery.
Same 1800mAh Lithium Polymer cell as our standard battery.

Its retailing at $25(£12) but heres the curious thing, theres no mention of it coming with a Mem Card which you need for the Pandora Downgrader/Unbricker. Now this comes from Datel and its likely its using the Pandora Code or maybe was sold to them pre pandora.

What i will say is that for PSP Owners who dont already have a Homebrew PSP or easily get hold of one this is a way in to Homebrew or unbricking.

NoQuarter
September 12th, 2007, 23:14
If they're using the pandora code wouldn't that be illegal?

steve520
September 12th, 2007, 23:15
yeah i hate selling the pandora but if its for gamers with no homebrew this is good for them but if u have a friend with a homebrew psp downgrade it for them for free dont be assholes and make them pay.

Zerogamer
September 12th, 2007, 23:17
Does this work for the PSP Slim?

Napalm-Death
September 12th, 2007, 23:43
Does this work for the PSP Slim?

I'm wondering the same.

ExcruciationX
September 12th, 2007, 23:49
Who said they used the Pandora's Battery software to change the serial number on the battery? They could do that themselves.

gamefreak199101
September 12th, 2007, 23:50
so practally someone made this sony didnt

Johnny Rash
September 13th, 2007, 00:08
Wasn't something like this frontpaged last month? I believe it was Datel last time though.

Even if the code is by Max and not stolen from the C+D Team, without selling or offering any Memory Stick, they would be implying that you would have to use the C+D Team code anyway. Rather pointless.

cory1492
September 13th, 2007, 00:18
Who said they used the Pandora's Battery software to change the serial number on the battery? They could do that themselves.Exactly what I have been saying all along. They didn't rip anything from pandora, though they are indeed making the most of the opportunity the public release of pandora gave to sell their relatively junky batteries for something actually useful.

This "TOOL" is ONLY A BATTERY. They had to reverse the real battery to produce a 'normal' 3rd party battery, it's definitely not that big of a leap after that to make the serial whatever they want it to be (and it's not like they are charging more for it).

They could have sold this thing at any time (I had one of those AAA battery things here for a while, I noted the serial starts out as 0x0'd which makes the PSP turn on when the battery is inserted), but until Prometheus released Pandora, there would have been no real public use for it.

Classic80s
September 13th, 2007, 00:21
Fanjita is reading this, what are your thoughts?

Nicko01
September 13th, 2007, 01:47
I think it's ok, actually, because it isn't selling for any more than a normal battery, and will allow anyone to downgrade, even without access to another custom firmware psp. They ARE using the concept of Pandora's Battery, but they are not stealing code or any of the hard work put in to this other than the research.

My idea: A battery with 2 EEPROM's and a switch so you can change between service mode and standard mode. I bet Acidmods can easily do this. Even i could do that, but mine would look ugly and messy and wouldn't really fit very well. :P

I am 100% sure they are NOT USING THE PANDORA CODE!!
It is just the modified serial put into their EEPROM's. (which, if they are really read only, would just be PROM's I think)

Johnny Rash
September 13th, 2007, 03:34
I am 100% sure they are NOT USING THE PANDORA CODE!!
It is just the modified serial put into their EEPROM's. (which, if they are really read only, would just be PROM's I think)

While possibly true. It doesn't say anything about the Memory Stick. And the only means of acquiring a Memory Stick that will complete the service mode would be created through C+D Team's work. What's "service" mode without the capability to "service"? Unless you want to show your buddies that you can magically turn your PSP on without touching the power.

NoQuarter
September 13th, 2007, 04:07
I like your idea Nicko01, maybe that's what the purpose of the button on the battery in the original chinese unbricker video.

Veskgar
September 13th, 2007, 04:41
This is somewhat unrelated but I just made a Pandora Battery last night to convert Slim & Lite PSP to 3.60 M33.

Since its a spare battery, is there any danger of having the charge run out over time? If it turns a PSP on upon insert, what is the best way to recharge the Pandora Batteries?

Thanks for any thoughts...

bah
September 13th, 2007, 05:11
Fanjita is reading this, what are your thoughts?

His post from the previous thread about this. (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=506915&postcount=25)

NoQuarter
September 13th, 2007, 05:58
Well that sums it up :)
Please excuse if I am uninformed,I have been away from my computer and internets for a month.All of this pandora stuff happened while I was gone.

Johnny Rash
September 13th, 2007, 07:10
This is somewhat unrelated but I just made a Pandora Battery last night to convert Slim & Lite PSP to 3.60 M33.

Since its a spare battery, is there any danger of having the charge run out over time? If it turns a PSP on upon insert, what is the best way to recharge the Pandora Batteries?

Thanks for any thoughts...
I think the only way to recharge them is to convert them to normal batteries to recharge. Or use them in conjunction with the AC cable, I think.

Zin0099
September 13th, 2007, 07:22
i will be willing to try the tool battery an if there is any way to give me the magic mem code files that are on the ms pro duo if it didn't convert the ms pro duo like the battery was!

shango46
September 13th, 2007, 08:30
Has anyone tried this yet? Does it work "out of the box" with the pandora code or no? It might be good for n00bs to use as a visual aid for the process (or just easier to buy than setting up an original battery). Just get this and a really colorful memory card and your set. :thumbup: Wont work to well if your color blind.:rofl:

MicroNut
September 13th, 2007, 08:45
It wouldnt be hard for a manufacturer to make a battery with the same serial number over and over.

It wouldn't take anything from Pandora to do that.

There is yet to be a report of what is included in the TOOL package or how it works.

I bet its nothing more than a web link to some free software needed to use the tool... Pandora.

froggie22
September 13th, 2007, 09:46
they use the pandora code and make profit from it. i thinks its stupid. the devs are trying to fight back against it.

lamentofking
September 13th, 2007, 10:31
This battery does the downgrading for you. Datel claims it puts psp into service mode for custom firmware, which means I can just go straight to cfw 3.60 M33 without downgradin or anything. Pretty sweet. This is a great use for ppl who dont have friends with HEN'ed psps.

It should work on psp slim. Datel released this on august 31st and the psp slim was already in launchin mode in other countries.

If sony releases a new batch of psps with 3.60+ ofw, then it prob wont be till the winter season 07 or sometime in 08.

MicroNut
September 13th, 2007, 11:22
How does Pandora work?

Only the batteries serial number is changed.

When the PSP boots, if the PSP sees a string of 1's for the batteries serial number the PSP goes into service mode.

Then the PSP looks for a special boot sector on the PSP memory stick.

If Datel discovered another method of putting the PSP into service mode that would be news.

This was a discovery made by the team that made pandora.
This is the way Sony designed the PSP to be triggered to go into service mode.

Is what Datel doing illegal.
No.

Is what they are doing good for the community... maybe

Find a friend with a modded psp or a psp capable of running hen and make a battery for yourself.
Cheaper or easier... probably not.
Is the right thing to do?

I do this for people on Craigs List all the time now.
(its a popular free classified add here in the states)

Upgrade strait to 3.60 cfw?
Read: Pandora's Battery FAQ's (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=75785): (Good Stuff)

bah
September 13th, 2007, 11:41
shango46: I beg of you, change that flickering sig image.

Just having it on screen makes my eyes feel like they're bleeding and I dont want to block all images from imageshack servers.

Pretty pretty please.

ab_geee_eee
September 13th, 2007, 16:24
Interesting but dont need it...

shango46
September 13th, 2007, 20:31
Bah: I have been trying to come up with a new sig for a while, but I just cant think of anything I like. I still want it to be animated and it to stand out as well as this one does (I have had many comments on it). If you want to help me create a new one your more than welcome.

Cokemusic
September 13th, 2007, 20:35
I didn't notice it til now