PDA

View Full Version : [Release] JaPSPanese - practice your hiragana & katakana

dark420bishop
September 13th, 2007, 00:39
JaPSPanese

A program for practicing hiragana and katakana on your PSP by transce080 (me).

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/d420bishp/screenshot-1.jpg

Summary

You can cycle through the hiragana/katakana in consecutive order or in random order. Random mode will use each hiragana/katakana only once for each cycle of the set. You may choose to have the hiragana/katakana or the letters displayed first. The answer is displayed until you release the button, then it moves to the next question. Scrolling through the hiragana/katakana in consecutive mode will not interrupt your progess in random mode.

Controls

Cross Move to the next random hiragana/katakana
Left Move to the previous hiragana/katakana
Right Move to the next hiragana/katakana
Square Change to hiragana mode
Circle Change to katakana mode
Up Change whether question or answer is shown first
Triangle Turbo (random)
Start Exit program

Installation

Copy the JaPSPanese folder to your homebrew directory (probably \PSP\GAME). The game is designed to be run on custom firmware or 1.0. It can be run on 1.50 firmware, however you must convert the eboot to 1.50 compatible format using a program like PSP Brew.

Thanks to

psp2dev.org and anyone who contributed to making the PSP Toolchain.
Rob H for supplying the source images for my hiragana and katakana.

* v * v * Download here * v * v *
JaPSPanese v1.0 (http://dl.qj.net/JaPSPanese-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/14545/catid/151), (mirror) (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5gzny0zqxbj)
* ^ * ^ * Download here * ^ * ^ *

_

madcupid
September 13th, 2007, 02:10
cool, this is awesome!!! I had just released a portuguese one last month for other people to learn and now one for me to learn japanese...thanks

wolfpack
September 13th, 2007, 03:05
i wanna learn japanese!

DarthPaul
September 13th, 2007, 03:19
What the hell are hiraganas and katakanas?

hatebreeder
September 13th, 2007, 03:27
now make it for a useful language.

boldizzle
September 13th, 2007, 04:06
now make it for a useful language.

Oh yeah, because Japanese language is so useless.... haha

That's why so many people wish they knew Japanese so they could understand what the hell is going on in Final Fantasy Crisis Core or all the new Anime that's coming out in Japan that people are waiting for fansub groups to do the subs for them because they don't understand the 'useless' language of Japanese. lol

Sorry for the sarcasm, couldn't help it.

sammiesosa#1
September 13th, 2007, 04:21
It Work's Perfect on my 3.52 M33-4. with the 3.60 Irshell.

mike_jmg
September 13th, 2007, 04:30
Hell yeah i want to learn jap, so I could play more games, but I don't think this will teach me good enough, IŽll try it out anyway

DarthPaul
September 13th, 2007, 04:58
Can someone tell me what the hell is this?

boldizzle
September 13th, 2007, 05:08
What the hell are hiraganas and katakanas?

From what I understand, it is the 2 types of characters or something in the Japanese language.

I could be wrong, and if I am, someone will correct me soon enough.

GobboFett
September 13th, 2007, 05:40
From what I understand, it is the 2 types of characters or something in the Japanese language.

Yes, quite correct. Katakana and Hirigana are two sets of characters used in the Japanese language. Hirigana is used for native Japanese words and Katakana is used for foreign words used in a Japanese environment. More advanced characters called Kanji are used for abbreviations of Japanese words but god, I don't understand them :(

BelmontSlayer
September 13th, 2007, 08:46
More advanced characters called Kanji are used for abbreviations of Japanese words but god, I don't understand them :(

Incorrect. Kanji are Chinese characters that each stand for an word or phrase. Japanese use Kanji quite frequently in games and other media. Katakana and Hiragana are easy to learn, but Kanji is a bitch. There are over 50,000 Kanji characters...

:rofl:

MicroNut
September 13th, 2007, 09:14
Learn something here:
hiragana, katakana and kanji (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/japanese_hiragana.htm)

Wow cool app...
This is a nice flash card system.
Thank you.

Japanese is a hard language to learn
I have been trying for almost 10 years and still know little.

Japanese can tell you that they study it all their lives and can still know very little.

The Japanese language is comprised of thousands of symbols.
While the English alphabet has 26.

Did you think English class was hard? lol!

Learn another language and you learn more than you can imagine about your own.

ab_geee_eee
September 13th, 2007, 16:20
what about Korean is that hard to learn? I wanna learn either Korean or Japanese and right now i dont really feel like learning 50,000 words or phrases...

Enkhuizer
September 13th, 2007, 16:44
Thanks a bunch, I was just getting bored with the audio lessons I listen to in my car. :thumbup:

dark420bishop
September 13th, 2007, 17:05
It's funny because some things in Japanese are so much more complicated than English, for example the writing system. And yet other things are so much simpler, for example verb conjugation and spelling. So far I'm really enjoying learning Japanese! ^__^

jmendes
September 13th, 2007, 17:41
Oh yeah, because Japanese language is so useless.... haha

That's why so many people wish they knew Japanese so they could understand what the hell is going on in Final Fantasy Crisis Core or all the new Anime that's coming out in Japan that people are waiting for fansub groups to do the subs for them because they don't understand the 'useless' language of Japanese. lol

Sorry for the sarcasm, couldn't help it.

What did you expect from someone named Hatebreeder? the jackass is just doing his job, pay no attention.

anyways, nice release! gonna try it sometime :thumbup:

kjetil1991
September 13th, 2007, 19:11
japan letters =)

BelmontSlayer
September 14th, 2007, 02:15
what about Korean is that hard to learn? I wanna learn either Korean or Japanese and right now i dont really feel like learning 50,000 words or phrases...

Korean is even worse. They adapted most of their characters from Chinese Kanji. If you want to learn an Asian language, then start off with Japanese. Learn Katakana and Hiragana and you will be able to play lots of imports. Kanji is scarce in Japanese, you can usally tell what's going on as long as you can read the kana/hira parts of it.

ab_geee_eee
September 14th, 2007, 18:03
ah k thank you :)

Marmotta
September 14th, 2007, 21:45
Korean is even worse. They adapted most of their characters from Chinese Kanji. If you want to learn an Asian language, then start off with Japanese. Learn Katakana and Hiragana and you will be able to play lots of imports. Kanji is scarce in Japanese, you can usally tell what's going on as long as you can read the kana/hira parts of it.

I'd have to disagree. Both alphabets are of course originally adapted from Chinese, but now Korea almost exclusively uses their own set of characters (Hangul), which have themselves been simplified over time and are a lot more similar to a roman alphabet - although if you want to delve into ancient texts, that's fine by me:p . Whereas in Japanese - although everything can be written and read in hiragana and katakana [and I wish it was] - kanji (the Chinese characters) still play a major role in the language and 2,000 are required to be known for basic fluency. Whatsmore, Japanese kanji will often have a Japanese and Chinese pronunciation depending on whether they're spoken on their own or as part of a word e.g. on its own the character for "new" is "atarashii", but it also forms part of "shinkansen" (the bullet train)along with the kanji for iron and [tree] trunk.

As for Korean grammar, I have no basis for comparison...

matsuura
January 7th, 2008, 09:50
Incorrect. Kanji are Chinese characters that each stand for an word or phrase. Japanese use Kanji quite frequently in games and other media. Katakana and Hiragana are easy to learn, but Kanji is a bitch. There are over 50,000 Kanji characters...

:rofl:

Incorrect.. There are over 50,000 Chinese characters while only 2,500+ are used in Japaneses, where as 1,950 more or less, are commonly used. Chinese characters can be that of 4 different types of representations where Japaneses can be only that of 2, Visual and/or Ideographic(Abstract concept, hence, a noun.) In conjunction with it's counter parts, grammatical efficiencies, etc, They(the kanjis) signify my overall jyst of what is going on... :thumbup:

matsuura
January 7th, 2008, 09:55
I'd have to disagree. Both alphabets are of course originally adapted from Chinese, but now Korea almost exclusively uses their own set of characters (Hangul), which have themselves been simplified over time and are a lot more similar to a roman alphabet - although if you want to delve into ancient texts, that's fine by me:p . Whereas in Japanese - although everything can be written and read in hiragana and katakana [and I wish it was] - kanji (the Chinese characters) still play a major role in the language and 2,000 are required to be known for basic fluency. Whatsmore, Japanese kanji will often have a Japanese and Chinese pronunciation depending on whether they're spoken on their own or as part of a word e.g. on its own the character for "new" is "atarashii", but it also forms part of "shinkansen" (the bullet train)along with the kanji for iron and [tree] trunk.

As for Korean grammar, I have no basis for comparison...

Hiragana is everything a kanji is not, same goes for katakana with the exception of it being most of the time, foreign. Considering you NEVER see a japanese phrase full of katakana, you can easily notice, katakana is kanji, but foreign and not borrow, just a shorthand, which I guess is borrow, just broken down... :mad: