PDA

View Full Version : One from the What If Only Dept

wraggster
September 14th, 2007, 00:28
Im sure many people will remember the CD Drive add on for the Snes that Nintendo eventually turned down and what was released later as the PSX(PSOne) well on our Dreamcast site theres a post about a prototype Disc drive for the Dreamcast. If only it had been mass produced then we could have had a fantastic option for what remains one of the very best homebrew scenes.

More details at DC News (http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/prototype-sega-dreamcast-zip-drive-on-ebay-73945.html)

Makes you wonder what other prototypes have been shelved that were actually decent.

http://digg.com/hardware/Prototype_Sega_Dreamcast_Zip_Drive_on_eBay

Veskgar
September 14th, 2007, 01:58
No offense to the die-hard DC homebrew veterans but I really must be missing something because I recently found my Dreamcast and it was the older homebrew-capable one so I was excited and started making self-boot emulator discs and stuff but it seemed as though all of the emulators available for the Dreamcast are not full speed with fully working sound.

Not the best compatibility either.

What am I missing? Where is all this homebrew that makes the Dreamcast have "one of the very best homebrew scenes" ???

Aside only from maybe the original XBOX, I'd think the PSP has the BEST homebrew scene hands down...

Any arguments?

pez2k
September 14th, 2007, 01:59
what was released later as the PSX(PSOne)

The PSX was a prototype. A production Sony PSX appeared many years later, but it's a PS2/HDD recorder combo only available in Japan and totally unrelated to the 90s prototype which entered production as the Sony Playstation. Pet peeve of mine. :P

wolfpack
September 14th, 2007, 02:18
either way, the psx was a success and grew to live on until the ps3 which seems like a marketing failure right now until the ps3 can get some good games

xg917
September 14th, 2007, 02:21
No offense to the die-hard DC homebrew veterans but I really must be missing something because I recently found my Dreamcast and it was the older homebrew-capable one so I was excited and started making self-boot emulator discs and stuff but it seemed as though all of the emulators available for the Dreamcast are not full speed with fully working sound.

What am I missing? Where is all this homebrew that makes the Dreamcast have "one of the very best homebrew scenes" ???

Aside only from maybe the original XBOX, I'd think the PSP has the BEST homebrew scene hands down...

Any arguments?

same question.. someone please answer

SSaxdude
September 14th, 2007, 02:42

Any arguments?

The Dreamcast had basically the first big homebrew scene. There was almost no homebrew scene for the PSX, the N64 can't run unsigned code on the actual hardware, and the Saturn also had almost no homebrew scene. The Dreamcast homebrew scene was also big since almost all Dreamcasts are homebrew compatible. All you need for homebrew on a Dreamcast is a CD burner, no modchip or anything.

osgeld
September 14th, 2007, 02:49
dunno about the dreamcast, back when i did have all the boot disks and most of the emulators and yea i cannot seem to remember any of them worth playing

thats when my DC moved into the other room to take its place as "internet appliance" and nothing more, and the little 500mhz pizzabox compaq i had took over the tv as emulator central, + media box

pc of course is the ultimate emu machine, but the psp has taken over all my needs becuase its just so durn handy

the dreamcast on the other hand is still sitting in the spare bedroom with dust on it

the only thing about the dreamcast being such an AWESOME scene is that it was the first cheap tv console powerful enugh to run emulators

disk drive on the dreamcast, eh were talking about 1999 here burning a cd wasnt a life changing process (like it was when the playstation came out) just abit tedious if you like to fidget with your games alot

ficksucker
September 14th, 2007, 08:33
This has nothing to do with the PSP. Why is it on the PSP news front page?

goliath182
September 14th, 2007, 09:06
I say it should go in the Could Of Pile

ish420ism
September 14th, 2007, 18:27
I still use my DC for playing nes, gb, and yes even atari, on my tv. I'm too oldschool. oh yeah not to mention mvc2 and all the other cool dc games i have.
It may be stupid but i required every one in the house to play the DC before letting them play PS2. Now the kids love supermariobros better than the more complex newer games, and now the DC gets as much playing time as my PS2 and Xbox

Game_Collector
September 15th, 2007, 03:01
The PSX was a prototype. A production Sony PSX appeared many years later, but it's a PS2/HDD recorder combo only available in Japan and totally unrelated to the 90s prototype which entered production as the Sony Playstation. Pet peeve of mine. :P

Haha, I am the same! I hate people calling it the "PSX" . On another note, the Playstation was NOT the Super Nintendo CD drive, it was a seperate machine sony were making to be compatible with it. The Super NES CD rom was being made by Nintendo and Phillips.

Even though I am a diehard Sega fanboy and as such have a built in hatred for all things Nintendo, I really wish the Super NES/SFC CD rom had been released. I can just imagine how awesome it would have been to play games like Final Fantasy VI, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest VI, Dragon Quest III, Akumajou Dracula-XX, Ganbare! Goemon IV, Super Street Fighter II (providing the system had a big enough RAM cart) etc on cd. Hell there could have been nicer versions of PC Engine games such as Snatcher as well. Although, with Nintendo's crappy kiddy systems and games, I guess it may have ended up like the awful, censored Saturn and PS1 versions, yuck.

orochi_xxxx
September 15th, 2007, 15:48
[QUOTE=Game_Collector;515962]Haha, I am the same! I hate people calling it the "PSX" . On another note, the Playstation was NOT the Super Nintendo CD drive, it was a seperate machine sony were making to be compatible with it. The Super NES CD rom was being made by Nintendo and Phillips.
QUOTE]

Sony did have an agreement with sony to make the SNES CD after they scraped their plans with Philips before going back to them again!

mem-wiicr
September 16th, 2007, 07:44
Sorry guys but the c64 was the 1st big homebrew scene imho.

quzar
September 17th, 2007, 00:22
dunno about the dreamcast, back when i did have all the boot disks and most of the emulators and yea i cannot seem to remember any of them worth playing

thats when my DC moved into the other room to take its place as "internet appliance" and nothing more, and the little 500mhz pizzabox compaq i had took over the tv as emulator central, + media box

pc of course is the ultimate emu machine, but the psp has taken over all my needs becuase its just so durn handy

the dreamcast on the other hand is still sitting in the spare bedroom with dust on it

the only thing about the dreamcast being such an AWESOME scene is that it was the first cheap tv console powerful enugh to run emulators

disk drive on the dreamcast, eh were talking about 1999 here burning a cd wasnt a life changing process (like it was when the playstation came out) just abit tedious if you like to fidget with your games alot

Buying a DC in 2002 for 50$ and being able to play most any nes or snes game on it without any kind of silly bootdiscs and whatnot was surreal. It is still the largest console homebrew scene, and the only one to have commercial homebrew (and official games are still coming out every once in a while). Not only that but the DC had some of the best games of the past few generations (after the DC stopped, most of its games went on to become the better games for the PS2 and Xbox).