PDA

View Full Version : MSFT wants to distribute XNA games like YouTube

Darksaviour69
September 14th, 2007, 00:54
via xboxfanboy (http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/09/13/msft-wants-to-distribute-xna-games-like-youtube/)

In an interview with develop magazine (http://www.developmag.com/news/28455/Microsoft-actively-working-towards-YouTube-like-games-service), general manager of Microsoft games Chris Satchell confirmed that Microsoft is still working hard to create a service similar to YouTube for XNA developers to distribute their games with the Xbox 360 community.

Since day one, Microsoft has openly talked about an Xbox 360 future where user created content and user created games would be shared and played across Xbox Live YouTube style, but nothing other than a paid yearly subscription to XNA has come to fruition. Satchell did sound optimistic in the interview going on to say that "we [Microsoft] need to provide people a stage to play on, a distribution medium so that they can show off their creativity to everyone. That's always been our vision and remains our vision". And we must say we agree with Satchell's optimistic vision. Talk about this YouTube style XNA has been floating around for ages, so let's get this service off the ground Microsoft and get motivated. We want to be able to see and play the gaming community's best work and be able to share (or possibly take over the world with) our uber secret X3F Goes to Space 4th person shooter that we've been diligently working on. When XNA YouTube goes live just be prepared guys ... be prepared.

Shadowblind
September 14th, 2007, 04:42
It sounds almost like MS is in support of homebrew...naw can't be....could it?

With this kind of system they would be well aware of the capabilities people would find in this. Heck, to some point this may even produce a PS2 emu for 360, lol!

bah
September 14th, 2007, 06:40
I would say MS would reserve the right to disallow any apps they want, and surely emulators would be at the top of their list.

Darksaviour69
September 14th, 2007, 12:57
why would they dissallow emus? it does not cost them anything, bar maybe sega emus as sega are commercially releasing their back catalog on the 360. But as far as nintendo and Sony emus, why not?

Shadowblind
September 14th, 2007, 13:41
DarkSaviour is right. Correct me if i'm wrong, but its not usually the EMULATOR thats illegal, just piracy of the games for it. A
Also (and I don't want to sound bad to MS, given what they have given) I don't doubt that somehow people would encode something to make these undetectable while logged in.