PDA

View Full Version : Team Noobz release eLoader v1.00 - PSP Slim Homebrew Loader

Chameleon
September 16th, 2007, 00:17
http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/images/stories/eloader_ipa.jpg

Via Noobz (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/eloader-v1.000.html)

As we promised a long time ago we have now finished a version of eLoader which can be run from a custom firmware and HEN.

I know that a lot will probably wonder what the use of this is now that we have Pandora out so that anyone can downgrade, well the main reason is the PSP-Lite. As a lot of people are finding out the PSP Lite is unable to run 1.50 kernel, this means that old homebrew games are not able to run on the PSP Lite custom firmware, however eLoader makes it possible to run some of these older games without needing to recompile them. So I hope all you new PSP Lite owners enjoy getting to see some of the old homebrew games running on the new device.

For further details on how to install and use eLoader v1.000 see readme.html in the ZIP file.

This program builds on the original work done by Saotome to load homebrew EBOOT.PBPs into PSPs with HEN or Custom Firmware (CFW). Although HEN and CFW can generally load most modern homebrew, eLoader offers a way to improve compatibility with older programs.

eLoader is of most use for PSP Lite owners running CFW. This loader will allow them to run homebrew based on 1.50 kernel which otherwise would not be able to run due to the incompatibility of the PSP Lite and the 1.50 kernel.

Since eLoader will also run in any CFW it will be also useful for those developers not having a PSP Lite and wanting to check that their code will run on it.

It currently cannot run all known homebrew, but it uses a number of tricks to get substantially further than ever before. Known limitations are:

Can't run most kernel-mode applications.
That means anything that emulates ISOs/UMDs.
Some minor system calls are still unsupported.
It's also still very much in development, so you should expect a few bugs, and for not every EBOOT to run perfectly. An up-to-date list of known working EBOOTs can be found at the homebrew database listed above.

Major new features in this release
Added support for HEN and custom firmwares including the PSP Lite.

Details of Kernel Mode Support
In eloader 1.000 it is possible to make use of kernel mode using "constructor" procs, this therefore gives the ability to patch kernel memory before the user mode thread starts (in the same way that firmware v1.5 can)

The main thing that you can not do at the moment is start a new thread in kernel mode. Note that this is the same level of kernel-mode support as the 0.995 release. We intend to dramatically improve kernel-mode compatibility in future releases.

To install eLoader
Copy the contents of the MS_ROOT folder to the topmost folder on your PSP memory stick. If you've done this correctly, you will end up with a set of files within the folder

/PSP/GAME/eLoader

on your memory stick.

Installing Homebrew
If you've chosen to install Installotron, then you can automatically download and install a selection of popular homebrew to your PSP, so long as you have a network connection configured on your PSP. Just run eLoader as described below, and then select and run Installotron, to select the homebrew programs to install.

Otherwise, or if the homebrew you want to use is not supported by Installotron yet:

Copy the homebrew you want to run to your memory stick. Usually, this means unzipping a directory that contains an EBOOT.PBP file to somewhere under /PSP/GAME/. The exact location and folder name usually doesn't matter, but for best compatibility you should try to use the same names as originally shown in the homebrew ZIP file.

If the instructions with the homebrew contain separate steps for v1.0 and v1.5 firmwares, then usually you'll get best results by following the v1.0 instructions.

NOTE: If the homebrew is written in LUA, you need to copy it to a subdirectory under the your LUA Player "APPLICATIONS" folder.

Running eLoader : via HEN and Custom Firmwares
In order to run eLoader just goto to the "Game" menu on the PSP menu, then "Memory Stick", then select the "eLoader IPA" program.

This will cause eLoader to load up its menu ("eMenu") from which you can choose the homebrew you would like to load.

Using eMenu
The loader displays a list of folders in ms0:/PSP/GAME and ms0:/PSP/GAME150. Use the up and down buttons to change the current selection (highlighted with a black line), and X or O to run the homebrew in that folder.
NOTE: To load LUA applications, you need to run LUA Player first, which will launch Lowser and let you browse to open the application.

Once you select some homebrew to load, the menu will exit, and after a few moments, the loader will either display an error message, or the homebrew will start.
To exit the homebrew, you need to reboot your PSP. The loader contains in-built support for rebooting, by holding the Left Trigger, Right Trigger and START buttons together for a few seconds. If this doesn't work, then you can also reboot by removing the battery, or holding the power switch for at least 10 seconds. Note that sometimes after a software reboot, the loader will hang if you try to run it again. This seems to be much rarer if you enter USB mode briefly, before running the loader again.
Other buttons:
Triangle will turn on USB mode.
Square will take a screenshot of the menu.
The L and R shoulder buttons change the PSP's clock speed.
SELECT will show usage instructions, and rescan the memory stick for new homebrew.
START will exit the menu.
HOLD will put the PSP into 'slumber mode' - the clock speed is set to minimum, and the screen is blanked. You can get further power saving by holding the 'SCREEN' button to turn off the screen, before engaging 'HOLD'.
If you get the message 'Not Homebrew', it means that the selected folder does not contain the file 'EBOOT.PBP' in the topmost subfolder. This usually means that you've incorrectly installed the homebrew.
Using a different menu
v1.000 of the loader ships with a default menu, emenu--.pbp.

It's also possible to install optional alternative menus, such as 'Choice'.

The loader will use emenu--.pbp menu by default. If you want to use one of the alternatives, then edit the loadmenu1000.cfg file (with Notepad, or any other text editor), and change the following line:

menu=ms0:/psp/eloader/emenu--.pbp

to point at the location of the alternative menu's .PBP file.

Troubleshooting
If you have problems with an individual EBOOT getting to the "Press X to launch the program" screen, but crashing immediately after, here are a few things to try:

Make sure you are trying to run it as the first thing you do after a clean reboot of your PSP
Use v1.0 EBOOTs in preference to v1.5.
Make sure that you read any README supplied with the homebrew, and followed the installation instructions (for v1.0, preferably) carefully.
Make sure that any support files (e.g. WAV files, graphics files) contained in the ZIP file are copied into the same place on the memory stick, relative to the EBOOT file.
Experiment with the launcher options in the configuration file. (see below)
someone might already have found a way to make this EBOOT work.
If you see a message during the loading process, saying "Found suspicious hard path", then this means the loader detected that the application depends upon being in a specific location on the memory stick. Usually the path will mention a specific file - try moving the application folder so that the file is in the place shown.
If you find that one of these steps helps, then please send us details on what you did to make the EBOOT work - we can build the workarounds automatically into the next version of the loader.

NOTE: If the eLoader aborted the process before reaching the "press X" screen, then don't bother trying these steps - there's no way that EBOOT will currently work, but please remember to send the details of the error message to me, so that I can attempt to change the code to make it work.

Configuration File
v0.8.5 and beyond of the loader support configuration via a file, /psp/game/eloader/LOADER1000.CFG. See inside the file for basic details on what the various options do. For most purposes, the defaults should be sufficient.

If you want to try to tweak the options for a specific EBOOT, here are some pointers:

Each EBOOT has a special signature that identifies it to the eLoader. To find out the signature, use the bundled Windows program "EBOOT_SIGNATURE.EXE". This will tell you the name you need to use for the config file section header for the EBOOT.
The following options are the most common ones to change to make a specific EBOOT work. Often, changing one of these (more-or-less at random) will fix the more sensitive EBOOTs such as USER_LUA. Try changing these one at a time, in this order, for best results.
passparameters
confirm
callinit
clearscreen
initbssfull
initbsspartial
If you want to suppress screen-spam during loading of a known-good EBOOT, you can try changing these options. You may find that the EBOOT stops working after changing an option - if so, just change it back. confirm displays the 'press X to start' menu.
unknownNIDwarning warns you if some system calls requested by the EBOOT couldn't be identified.
patchkernelwarning warns you if the EBOOT is kernel-mode. For some EBOOTs, this doesn't matter.
ignorefixedpath warns you if the EBOOT contains a suspicious- looking filename, that implies it might need to be run from a fixed location on the memory stick

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Sonicboy 101
September 16th, 2007, 00:24
Ah, 1.00!
Great news! :thumbup:

Safari Al
September 16th, 2007, 00:35
This is awesome news! Sadly i dont want a slim

blackrave
September 16th, 2007, 00:37
Perhaps it won't be long before the PSP Slim gets full homebrew support, then. Great work, Noobz! Really useful for Slim owners. Thanks for your work, and thanks for the news! :)

Bobtentpeg
September 16th, 2007, 00:40
I love you noobz,

now to get the whole icon conversion thing right

http://i17.tinypic.com/4yq1edy.jpg

wraggster
September 16th, 2007, 00:40
added a bit but great news :)

NoQuarter
September 16th, 2007, 00:56
thank you guy's

Emeriastone
September 16th, 2007, 01:02
Oh wow, awesome noobz!

CaptainMorgan4
September 16th, 2007, 01:32
Anyone with a Slim please post your results I don't have one but I'd like to see what works.

steve520
September 16th, 2007, 01:36
noobz does it again u guys are amazing at what you do.

DarthPaul
September 16th, 2007, 01:36
I love you noobz,

now to get the whole icon conversion thing right

http://i17.tinypic.com/4yq1edy.jpg

Lol I had that problem once.

All you have to do is erase a file, which I forgot which one it is... but just put back all of your files to the originals. I guess you have a back-up of the files, right?

noobz does it again u guys are amazing at what you do.

Off-Topic:
Ahaha steve520, this might sound weird.. but I dreamed about you a few days ago.

I don't know how but your name appeared in my dream, I met you in real life, you were showing me "your DS" and then you ended stealing my PSP. Lol my dreams are always very random..

Nikolaos
September 16th, 2007, 01:44

All you have to do is erase a file, which I forgot which one it is... but just put back all of your files to the originals. I guess you have a back-up of the files, right?

Off-Topic:
Ahaha steve520, this might sound weird.. but I dreamed about you a few days ago.

I don't know how but your name appeared in my dream, I met you in real life, you were showing me "your DS" and then you ended stealing my PSP. Lol my dreams are always very random..

LOL!

Bobtentpeg
September 16th, 2007, 02:17

LOL no thats not it. I used one of those themes with position mods which dont work on 360 M33 :P
anywho, you have to use CXMB to have custom themes for 360 M33 :thumbup:

mcdougall57
September 16th, 2007, 02:36
this may sound like a stupid question but how do you get homebrew on the slim

voorheesda
September 16th, 2007, 02:37
Cool, its like the history repeats itself, the psp slim will be cracked open and noone can stop it.

I cant see why people dont want the PSP Slim?
The only not so good thing with it is that the homebrew capability is not super right now.

The psp slim is better in many ways,
Connect to the TV, who the hell doesnt want that.
More ram, that very good for the HB community.
And a little smaller. It canīt be bad.

I think itīs a little like DS owners hater PSP and vice versa. Maybe some single invidual got something real against it. VOORHEESDA OUT!

Shoey
September 16th, 2007, 02:43
I can confirm duke nukem 3d works, yay!
So far at least...

Dgen 1.60 crashed on me though.

Buddy4point0
September 16th, 2007, 02:47
converting the eboots isnt hard whatsoever, and it doesnt take long either. this is great but really im not going to use it

Cloudhunter
September 16th, 2007, 03:34
Sometimes, even making the EBOOT a 1.00 one won't make any difference. This is where this comes in handy :)

Cloudy

shadowprophet
September 16th, 2007, 04:43
I've been waiting for this :cool:

mike_jmg
September 16th, 2007, 04:58
Cool, does this mean that snes9x 0.42me works?,

also, can anyone tell me if the HP48gx calculator emu made by ZX works on the slim?

philage
September 16th, 2007, 06:54
And the show goes on...

Amazing work once again, thanks.

bah
September 16th, 2007, 14:23
I'm starting to think these guys do have a clue...

:)

luis_05
September 16th, 2007, 19:09
great news indeed wraggster! this is freaking sweet, team noobz must not sleep like ZX 81 lol

Fanjita
September 16th, 2007, 22:30
Anyone with a Slim please post your results I don't have one but I'd like to see what works.

Please check out the link to the PSP Homebrew Database in the original release article (http://www.noobz.eu) for how to see other people's test results and to share your own.

SnesR0X
September 16th, 2007, 22:35
Ever since this morning I have had a strong urge to buy the slim. I have no idea what has come over me, but now I see all the advantages.

kjetil1991
September 17th, 2007, 15:49
i never leave my old fat psp =)

[HP]
September 17th, 2007, 16:24
Will I still need to crack my PSP slim with the Pandoras battery to make this PSP Slim Homebrew Loader to work?

urherenow
September 17th, 2007, 18:42
Major edit of this post. I guess I should only list what works with eloader that doesn't without it.

PSPGenesis works but I'm not sure what version I'm using.

Just about any kxploited files spits out an error so I used pspbrew to change all of my stuff to a 1.0 eboot.

Is there a program that converts stuff to a 3.xx eboot? (I've only used 1 program that would only run with 3.xx kernal and don't remember which one that was.)

Anyway a word of warning for new buyers. Be carefull when pulling of the Daxter (or whatever) screen cover is on your new slim. 2 nicks of paint came off with mine!!! loosen up both ends of the screen first before taking it off.

feight
September 17th, 2007, 20:59
I'm still not sure I understand the ramifications, but it's new and involves slims and I appreciate that.

Veskgar
September 18th, 2007, 16:19
Ever since this morning I have had a strong urge to buy the slim. I have no idea what has come over me, but now I see all the advantages.

Well for being someone with a great appreciation with the original PSP, and who has owned it since launch day in the USA, I still must say that I still recommend everyone try to get a Slim & Lite. I was skeptical at first but the new PSP is indeed very nice.

I have the ice-silver and its very much improved. I almost thought it was too light when I first took it out of the package without a battery in it. But with a battery it has a nicer feel.

My biggest complaint is probably the fact that they put a sticker over the screen for packaging. Its not one of those easy peel off films either. Its fairly hard to pull off and it makes the PSP Slim screen a little less than spotless.

The improved buttons and better quality LCD screen make it a must have. The ghosting on the older PSP's drove me crazy sometimes and really took enjoyment out of some PSP games.

Anyway a word of warning for new buyers. Be carefull when pulling of the Daxter (or whatever) screen cover is on your new slim. 2 nicks of paint came off with mine!!! loosen up both ends of the screen first before taking it off.
Well, luckily no paint or anything came off but I did find it really dumb that they just slapped a sticker on such a delicate screen surface. They should of thought that out more carefully.

VampDude
September 19th, 2007, 05:25
Not time to get a slim PSP yet then, I want 1.50 :(

alanparker05
December 27th, 2007, 17:00
Hope this gets a bit more running on slim ive been disappointed with it so far

[the crippler]
December 27th, 2007, 23:57
will this work on firmware 3.50? and if not is there any way i could downgrade without using that lumines process because its kinda hard to get that game for me

bigleak2
March 7th, 2008, 16:18
alot of old emulators work on my slim now that i have been using eloader