PDA

View Full Version : M33's View on Custom Firmware developement

xg917
September 17th, 2007, 15:20
M33 Official Website (http://m-33.narod.ru/)

Hello, world.

As you have seen, some things have changed between Sony and the developing of custom firmwares.

Due to the leak (that we've always gone against this crime) of the OE sources from a private svn, everyone can
take a peek into the patches done from the Open Edition to the original firmwares to allow the development
into this scene that was growing day after day. And, when we say anyone, we include Sony.

This intrusion into one of the basis of the actual PSP Scene, has just made harm to the entire world of the
PSP Scene. Therefore, Sony saw this and made some interesting changes in some modules (mainly loadcore), plus
the change of some nids that are used to the development of M33 Custom Firmware.

So, if you can't wait for the new release, you'll have to wait; and this is cause this leak and this changes
made upon the material we work and we try to release asap to the *entire* psp community. Looks like, as always,
there is someone that wants to be important in this world when no-one asks him, and his result is this delay
on the development of the new versions.

This "benefit" that much lammers talked about in foreign forums, talking about OE leak, will just made a result
in the near future: that serious developers (including us) will think twice before releasing anything else.

And also, speaking about the new "custom firmwares" that have been released, such as AoP, and others addons
that use M33Cf, will be deeply studied and reversered to see if *anything* of the core, reboot, or whatever
from our work has been ilegally used. If this is afirmative, we'll have to act against this.

This changes won't probably last too long and won't be an important problem, but it's just, as we have just said,
another resultant of trying to be someone on this world by stealing and leaking instead of studying.

Please have patient and stay tuned for the next Custom Firmware for PSP and PSP Slim and Lite :)

M33 Team.

So hang in there guys! :cool:

ICE
September 17th, 2007, 15:26
hmm i had a feeling something was up. 3.71 m33 was taking too long.

bah
September 17th, 2007, 15:58
hmm i had a feeling something was up. 3.71 m33 was taking too long.

How long ago was it released, 4-5 days?

Your concept of a long time is certainly different to mine...

:)

ICE
September 17th, 2007, 16:23
How long ago was it released, 4-5 days?

Your concept of a long time is certainly different to mine...

:)

well since it took like 2 days for 3.60 m33 i figured that 3.71 m33 should take around the same right? the only reason for it to take longer is if something has changed which it has. that was my point. i never even said it was taking a long time i just meant its taking longer than it should be when compared to the previous releases.

stevo11185
September 17th, 2007, 21:26
Hmmm. on their site it says that people may be using their source illegally? i don't understand that concept since the files they mostly use belong to Sony (prx and other files).

How then can M33 say that they are angry when they didn't ask for permission to use Sony's software?

It just seems that they are trying to dominate the CFW market.

However i do agree with them that the time they have put in to developing the CFW to make a better experience for us is being used by people who add just a small amount of code on to theirs.

kjetil1991
September 17th, 2007, 21:43
aaaaaaaargh! sony let us have our homebrew m33 dont let sony win let them feel what homebrew realy is =)

cal360
September 17th, 2007, 21:45
well since it took like 2 days for 3.60 m33 i figured that 3.71 m33 should take around the same right? the only reason for it to take longer is if something has changed which it has. that was my point. i never even said it was taking a long time i just meant its taking longer than it should be when compared to the previous releases.

Well don't you remeber how long it took to get our first custom firmware, so at this point I don't mind how long it will take.

Bobtentpeg
September 17th, 2007, 22:18
I applaud them for their work, but they are thick f they think sony didnt know how they did it before.

I have a cousin at sony, in the PSP devision, and sony has known how they did it, and how to stop it, thus far they have let it be because they liked what they saw, and wanted to put it in their own firmwares.

I know for a fact that sony decompiled DAXs 303 ... within a week of its release

and M33s even faster

Cloudhunter
September 17th, 2007, 22:29
Yup, maybe so... But there's nothing quite like having the EXACT source.

Cloudy

Bobtentpeg
September 17th, 2007, 22:31
Well it can be, decompile it to a certain pont, adn you can create the original source files

ICE
September 17th, 2007, 22:38
Well don't you remeber how long it took to get our first custom firmware, so at this point I don't mind how long it will take.

i never said i wanted it out now. all i said was its taking longer so something has happened. im not being impatient im just stating that its taking longer this time.

o1mlc
September 17th, 2007, 22:48
I think people have lost perspective a bit...

M33 (and those before them and no doubt those who will follow them) are hacking PSP Firmwares to allow use of non-Sony approved code on the PSP and PSP Slim & Lite.

While this is great for us, eg. emulators and homebrew etc. it is not really what the PSP was designed for. It was designed to make money for Sony executives and shareholders.

Surely we are all old enough and wise enough to realise that ANYTHING beyond the use that Sony intend for the PSP is a bonus and we should be grateful to those people who put in the time to code these custom firmwares.

If there are no more custom firmwares ever released would it really matter?

Ultimately, it is just for playing computer games...it is not important like a heart-lung machine or a intensive care incubator is it..?

*steps down from the soap box*

Psyberjock
September 17th, 2007, 22:56
This is the internet. There is no perspective.

discombobulated
September 17th, 2007, 23:07
So basically they're pissed that someone is taking their code and changing it after they've took Sony's code and changed it? WTF?

Thank you M33 for your CFW, but get over yourselves.

Bobtentpeg
September 17th, 2007, 23:24
This is the internet. There is no perspective.

lol yet soo true

Basil Zero
September 17th, 2007, 23:37
lol

I was waiting for their next release, but guess this explains it.

Cloudhunter
September 17th, 2007, 23:48
No, what M33 are objecting to, are people stealing their custom firmware, and then changing a few things and calling it completely their own.

I'm 100% sure that AoP or whatever they are called are just doing a M33 based firmware - if they can even extend it in the first place.

Someone from that team was asking how to start a LUA application on startup of the firmware :p

Cloudy

gamerremag
September 18th, 2007, 00:01
M33 Official Website (http://m-33.narod.ru/)

Hello, world.

As you have seen, some things have changed between Sony and the developing of custom firmwares.

Due to the leak (that we've always gone against this crime) of the OE sources from a private svn, everyone can
take a peek into the patches done from the Open Edition to the original firmwares to allow the development
into this scene that was growing day after day. And, when we say anyone, we include Sony.

This intrusion into one of the basis of the actual PSP Scene, has just made harm to the entire world of the
PSP Scene. Therefore, Sony saw this and made some interesting changes in some modules (mainly loadcore), plus
the change of some nids that are used to the development of M33 Custom Firmware.

So, if you can't wait for the new release, you'll have to wait; and this is cause this leak and this changes
made upon the material we work and we try to release asap to the *entire* psp community. Looks like, as always,
there is someone that wants to be important in this world when no-one asks him, and his result is this delay
on the development of the new versions.

This "benefit" that much lammers talked about in foreign forums, talking about OE leak, will just made a result
in the near future: that serious developers (including us) will think twice before releasing anything else.

And also, speaking about the new "custom firmwares" that have been released, such as AoP, and others addons
that use M33Cf, will be deeply studied and reversered to see if *anything* of the core, reboot, or whatever
from our work has been ilegally used. If this is afirmative, we'll have to act against this.

This changes won't probably last too long and won't be an important problem, but it's just, as we have just said,
another resultant of trying to be someone on this world by stealing and leaking instead of studying.

Please have patient and stay tuned for the next Custom Firmware for PSP and PSP Slim and Lite :)

M33 Team.

So hang in there guys! :cool:

uh, so who the **** leaked? I would LOVE to meet him :thumbup:
;) ;) ;) ;)

It would be like when the bully gets his ass beat in the new halloween. except he would see it comming a mile away (im more of the chase and kill, rather than the stalk and kill :D :cool: )

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Buddy4point0
September 18th, 2007, 00:44
i didnt even know oe got leaked. that stinks.
way to help sony n00bs.
i need to get a slim so i can use al the newer firmware, hopefully they will also include some kind of a simulated 1.5 kernal so that there is no more need for the eloader. i remember the eloader from 2.6 using gta, it was such an anoying hassel.

alexvander
September 18th, 2007, 01:35
its cuz stupid ps3news hacked in and got the source code and put it on the net. now sony got ahold of it and improved its security

Bobtentpeg
September 18th, 2007, 02:28
its cuz stupid ps3news hacked in and got the source code and put it on the net. now sony got ahold of it and improved its security

your think also.

Sony has known how to stop it, and how they made it, and had the source long befire ps3new leaked it

Broonale
September 18th, 2007, 02:40
My patience is vast.

I haven't even installed the current CFW on my slim as I'm waiting to see how it develops.

Take your time, I'm sure we'll all be better off for it!

Gawker
September 18th, 2007, 06:31
I'm highly tempted to buy a slim. If the 1.5 issue gets fixed it'll solidify my decision but I have to admit...I don't like M33's attitude. They just sound like a bunch of pompous asshats whining about rights when they themselves are HACKING COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS! They want to bitch about people trying to "be someone" instead of helping the scene but that's exactly what they're doing. They want to "be the man" and they don't give two shits about the scene...if they did they'd just release their stuff and STFU about it. Like DAX did.

V3N0M
September 18th, 2007, 07:07
I do find some of Team M33 statements a bit contradictory.

As for the whole Sony having the ability to decrypt custom firmware’s and understands how they work, that is true they have more than enough recourses to accomplish this.

But for them to "allow" it knowing they have the power to stop it whenever they please is complete bull. Keep in mind that hackers also have the power to decrypt Official Sony Firmware Updates and big corporations are set in there actions when they don't want something done they don't put in a half-assed effort to stop it. Saying that they are allowing Homebrew & Custom Firmware’s for their own amusement is complete bull to say the least.

What I'm getting at is they are "trying" to stop homebrew and custom firmware through whatever means necessary its just that so far they have not been successful.

hacksparrow
September 18th, 2007, 07:44
I'm highly tempted to buy a slim. If the 1.5 issue gets fixed it'll solidify my decision but I have to admit...I don't like M33's attitude. They just sound like a bunch of pompous asshats whining about rights when they themselves are HACKING COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS! They want to bitch about people trying to "be someone" instead of helping the scene but that's exactly what they're doing. They want to "be the man" and they don't give two shits about the scene...if they did they'd just release their stuff and STFU about it. Like DAX did.amen! but u should get a slim jusy 2 play able brews now on tv

BrokenHaiku
September 18th, 2007, 13:01
I appreciate the M33 releases very much and it's sure not fun when people just steal code but seriously M33, guys...

Is all this fame getting to your head? You're coming off as sultry kids at the same time as you're beating your own chest.

To quote Ludo in Labyrinth: "Smell.....BAD!"

GEoMaNTiK
September 18th, 2007, 15:29
Excuse my ignorance, I have never owned a PSP, however I'm looking seriously at a PSP Slim very soon...

What exactly is the problem with installing the M33 3.60 custom firmware and using it to play all homebrew apps??

Do we really need 3.70 or 3.71 for the slim??

If I were to buy a Slim and install the 3.60 M33 CFM, could Sony stop future games working on it until the newer firmwares are hacked?

Cheers in advance.

[HP]
September 18th, 2007, 16:29
Love you M33! :D

ICE
September 18th, 2007, 16:45
Excuse my ignorance, I have never owned a PSP, however I'm looking seriously at a PSP Slim very soon...

What exactly is the problem with installing the M33 3.60 custom firmware and using it to play all homebrew apps??

If I were to buy a Slim and install the 3.60 M33 CFM, could Sony stop future games working on it until the newer firmwares are hacked?

Cheers in advance.

3.60 m33 is great but like always sony will make games that require a higher firmware as well as features that we might want. because of that we all want 3.71 m33. new features new games.

Dlaub25
September 18th, 2007, 17:43

Cheers in advance.

The Slim doesnt support the 1.5 kernel which alot of homebrew is based on. Hopefully one of the new cfw releases will have a workaround

krazyx86
September 18th, 2007, 17:45
Honestly, why do poeple do anything anymore? Fame and/or money.. Which is what M33 is doing. I'd like to see anyone on these forums code up something or even attempt to make a CFW.. Not that I agree with what M33 says, but I will still give them my respect for actually doing something, and doing it well.

carlitx
September 18th, 2007, 21:10
damn leakers, should be shot and put in my farm for ignorant ppl and tased like cows

Veskgar
September 18th, 2007, 23:01
I'm getting really angry at all these stories of leaks and betraying of trust within the scene. The scene used to be a booming, sprawling global community where everyone collaborated and shared to better the scene. That is no longer possible due to a few greedy attention hungry idiots.

Dark_AleX quit OE development, Fanjita has taken time off from some of the PSP developments, and there have been others who have left the scene in the past as well.

No, what M33 are objecting to, are people stealing their custom firmware, and then changing a few things and calling it completely their own.

I'm 100% sure that AoP or whatever they are called are just doing a M33 based firmware - if they can even extend it in the first place.

Someone from that team was asking how to start a LUA application on startup of the firmware :p

Cloudy

Very good post.....

That's just it. If any team or individual got together and created from the ground up, a new CFW, like M33 & Dark_AleX has, M33 would be totally fine with it and perhaps even encourage and try to help.

However, when M33 & Dark_AleX do all the meat of the work, and new CFW's are coming out based largely on that work, and its renamed and very little if any credit is given, they have every right to be mad. When it comes to custom firmware with PSP homebrew, it is my opinion that the scene is better with one premier CFW rather than dozens of different little CFW's.

People are being way to hard on M33 and I'm really surprised that they have not already quit the scene, at least temporarily to wake people up. Remember how bad it was when Dark_AleX quit? Imagine if M33 quits? It will be just as bad if not worse.

The M33 Team has more than proved themselves and have already given more in such short a time that we all should never forget how lucky we have it.

Grand Picer
September 19th, 2007, 16:47
I'm from PSPC all I want to say is if AOP used M33 Firmware then they would give credit like fanjita used to. Who said it would be a entirely new CFW or a copy.

Whether they (AOP) use M33 code I do not know.
Whether they are (AOP) doing it their own way again I do not know.

This has just been "spun" out of proportion they did not want word to get out (I can confirm) because other wise doubts arise, if they did not deliver the finished product at all they would not lose face as well as pressure from the scene.

They wanted to announce their existence along with their CFW.