PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo cracks down on piracy in Korea

Shrygue
September 17th, 2007, 19:48
via MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28296/Nintendo-cracks-down-on-piracy-in-Korea)

Nintendo has asked South Korean prosecutors to investigate local websites that have uploaded illegal pirate copies of DS games.

According to the Financial Times, the move marks the first time the Japanese video games maker has called upon prosecutors in Asia to help combat piracy.

Nintendo’s Korean unit filed the complaint today to the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office, accusing some internet users of uploading pirated copies of software – and web operators of permitting the incidents.

"Nintendo will take further measures if copyright violations continue," the company said in a statement.

Nintendo only established a presence in the Korean market last year and began selling its DS Lite handheld games player in January. Sales reached 270,000 units in only four months.

wiggy fuzz
September 17th, 2007, 20:32
nintendo's sucess is getting to them, they never worried about this sort of thing in the n64/gamecube era

either way, they're still selling consoles

ish420ism
September 17th, 2007, 23:03
nintendo is starting to piss me off, just like metallicrap did with the napster.

Seven7
September 18th, 2007, 00:31
Nintendo has always and forever been anti-piracy. Note: I did not say anti-homebrew, just anti piracy. Nintendo appears to be rather open to homebrew, the exception being the WII. At any rate, I hope they crack down on this. Im not violently agenst the idea of piracy, but i realize that stuff like this in korea, can come back to bite us Americans where we don't want to be bit. And we all whould be sad.

-Seven7-