PDA

View Full Version : RTS4DS first preview movie released!

wraggster
September 17th, 2007, 23:05
News from Sander Stolk: (http://amplituds.drunkencoders.com/)

I've been anxious to show off my latest project for the Nintendo DS handheld, RTS4DS.
After having been working on it for so long, I feel the time has finally come to show its current status to the public with a short video.

http://www.veoh.com/videodetails2.swf?permalinkId=v11577098mMy5237&id=anonymous&player=videodetailsembedded&videoAutoPlay=0

RTS4DS is an RTS engine. What does this mean? The RTS you just saw on the video is just a folder on your media card which contains all the graphics, sounds and information about structures, units and levels. The actual rts4ds.nds file reads this all out and turns it into something playable on your DS. Quite nice.

This particular RTS you've seen in the video running in RTS4DS, has the graphics and sounds ripped (and adjusted) from the old DOS game Dune 2. This particular RTS will never be released to the public and is only used for testing my RTS engine. That is, unless Westwood contacts me about it and wants to release Dune 2 on the Nintendo DS using my RTS engine.

It will be relatively easy for people to create their own RTS for my engine. Graphics artists, sound effects creators, stop by at the forums here if you can and want to help out with creating an RTS for RTS4DS.

In other news, there'll be an AmplituDS v4 even though I said AmplituDS v3 would probably be the last one. No major improvements, but it'll have a new world to play and will use anti-aliasing for the 3D graphics. No release date for it pinned down yet though. Oh, and AmplituDS got a short mention in GamesTM issue 61 (a well-known games magazine from the United Kingdom).

Awesome news :)

zauberer
September 18th, 2007, 00:22
This looks promising!

Keep the good work, I love AmplituDS I think this will be as good as your other projects.

jedimaster12
September 18th, 2007, 00:52
Looks Great cant wait til first release.

::Xraxa, plz:.
September 18th, 2007, 01:15
Both announcements are great news. Cant wait.

MagnumKain
September 18th, 2007, 04:19
Wow..... That is grand!

gutbub
September 18th, 2007, 14:14
Omg, could this mean Starcraft for the DS? Keep up the goodwork, but faster, now all I'll be able think about is Starcraft DS. lol.

freebie
September 18th, 2007, 18:09
This looks the most promising thing on the DS homebrew scene for a while - Scumm and now RTS's on the DS - amazing!!!!

Thanks so much - will dl this the moment it comes out!!!

Markzilla
September 18th, 2007, 21:56
I just talked to Sander last night, and it's unlikely that Starcraft DS will be released using this particular software, so you're going to have to keep waiting.

cal360
September 18th, 2007, 22:18
I can't wait to get this on my DS.