PDA

View Full Version : Violence in videogames

Onetonbullet
July 3rd, 2005, 02:07
Here is a link to a blog on 1up...
John Davison has fun on network television...It just pissed me off...

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=5179663&publicUserId=5345401

Violence in videogames is just a hot button topic with me..

Another by Brooks Brown...

http://d-fens.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=5179966&publicUserId=5629740

Quote from blog
"We'll start this blog off really simply. For those of you who don't know me - i went to columbine, i was friends with both killers and the killed, had reported the killers to the police, the cops did nothing, etc."
Quote from blog

BlackAura
July 3rd, 2005, 07:18
I absolutely, 100% agree with Brooks Brown. It's a symptom of a problem, not the cause of the problem, or even the problem itself.

shadowprophet
July 3rd, 2005, 12:49
Wow onetonbullet Im Sorry to hear that man.
But also I would like to say. videogame violence is no different from telivision violence or any violance in any other media platform. People dont condemn HBO
for its violence.
The solution is simple, patents, friends, familey, need to understand Videogames arnt just toys with fantasy situations/ideas anymore.
The media has grown.
That means the whole comcept of how people look at videogames should grow as well.
I dont disscredit the idea that videogames have in fact push the envelops for certain individuals by glorifying violence.
But also those individuals if influienced by this media or any other,To go out and Do these violent acts, Need to seek help.
Because aperently they didnt have a firm grasp on reality to begin with.
I also think people that do these kinds of things, Do them mostly out of some dissorder, perhaps a cry for attention.
And sure its easy to blame something else for a mistake somone made, because people dont want to take responcibility for there own actions.
The people who do these crimes are the guilty party, not the video game.
thats like saying I think i'll go to a car lot find somthing I like steal it and then blame it on grand theft auto. Does that make since? IF i where to do this , Did grand theft auto steal that car for me ? no i would have done it.
The whole contriversy on video game violence is just a scape goat for people and there problems.
Again im sorry to hear about you and your friends onetonbullet.
But I Do i really do think videogames have been used as a scapegoat for far too long..
"Shadowprophet" Cause hes pissed off and hes not gonna take it anymore.
Viva le videogame violence!!

Onetonbullet
July 3rd, 2005, 18:21
Quote from blog
"We'll start this blog off really simply. For those of you who don't know me - i went to columbine, i was friends with both killers and the killed, had reported the killers to the police, the cops did nothing, etc."
Quote from blog

^^Those are the words of Brooks Brown^^
That quote was taken from the blog I linked to....

Onetonbullet
July 3rd, 2005, 18:48
Every time I find an article like this, I get a little depressed. I'm 25 years old. I've been playing video games my entire life. I have been exposed to many types of violent media including films, television, books,...I mean, even comic books depict violent acts of murder and rape...and guess what? I've never hurt another living creature in my life.

Video games might be todays scapegoat, but what about tommorow? What happens when some idiot blames macbeth, or Battle of the Centaurs for his violent behavior?
Will the government ban Shakespeare, or Michelangelo?

People need to take responsibility for thier own actions, and parents need to take responsibility for the actions of thier children.
Politicians, moral crusaders, and religious fanatics should stop trying to censor all forms of artistic expression they might find offensive...including video games.

shadowprophet
July 3rd, 2005, 19:19
Sorry for the missrepresentations in my last post.
I must have missread it, i was assumeing you where the friend that knew them/ turned them in.
I would never missrepresent somone like that,I'm fairly certain i read it right the first time through, but anyway *apologies onetonbullet :p

"Shadowprophet" Cause from now on hes gonna read every post twice before posting.

"Shadowprophet" Cause from now on hes gonna read every post twice before posting. :p :rolleyes: