PDA

View Full Version : PSP gets pirate motion sensor

Shrygue
September 18th, 2007, 22:26
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172236)

A company called NEO, mostly known for its DS and GBA flash carts and gadgetry in the homebrew/piracy scene, has made a motion sensor for PSP.

The tiny gadget (pictured) slots into the earphone jack of the PSP and enable the PSP, and draws power from the console itself. It allows the handheld to detect movement, likely using similar accelerometer tech to the Wii Remote.

It looks like a great little gadget but there's a catch: it doesn't work with any retail games. The device has been created as a tool for homebrew programmers to utilise in their bedroom programming creations. So it's great if you're running custom firmware and are into to homebrew scene, useless if you're not. It also won't work with the new slim PSP.

We can only hope that a developer takes notice and ceases the opportunity to produce a gadget like this for a more mainstream game.

http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_185624_thumb142.jpg http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_185623_thumb142.jpg

More images here (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=185627)

Anonymous D
September 18th, 2007, 22:34
is this like 3d movement or movement as in tilt left and right? and where and how much once again ...

mike_jmg
September 18th, 2007, 23:34
Just an Idea, but, May it work on Wario Ware Twisted??
That'll be cool

I don't see any other use though

mavsman4457
September 19th, 2007, 00:29
I could see this being used for a nice Rub a Dub game or rolling ball game where you have to tilt the screen to move the ball. This would be sweet but it's gotta be cheap or no one will support or buy it.

Veskgar
September 19th, 2007, 01:16
The sequel to Loco Roco should come with something like this.

But this would be great if it could be used with future homebrew.

VampDude
September 19th, 2007, 05:16
The sequel to Loco Roco should come with something like this.

But this would be great if it could be used with future homebrew.

I was thinking of Loco Roco, this device would be awesome if it had custom patches for already released games to use it (like the first Loco Roco) :)

bah
September 19th, 2007, 05:42
It would work well if your playing in the dark, wouldn't tilting the PSP give you really annoying reflections and/or hurt your eyes from focusing a moving screen?

I get eye strain really easy though so maby its just me, cant read in a car at all.

VampDude
September 19th, 2007, 06:02
It would work well if your playing in the dark, wouldn't tilting the PSP give you really annoying reflections and/or hurt your eyes from focusing a moving screen?

I get eye strain really easy though so maby its just me, cant read in a car at all.

I tilt my PSP as I play it anyway, I don't really know why. But as for annoying reflections, the solution to that would be to play with your back to a wall.

bah
September 19th, 2007, 06:43
I can remember tilting controllers all the way back to my master system controller as I turned in a crappy game like super monaco GP, the brain knows turning it does nothing but still wants to anyway. :)

With handhelds I always seem to be bugged by reflection and have to find a specific angle. You're right that having your back to a wall really helps (the screen looks best in the dark IMO), but often I don't have the option.

Johnny Rash
September 19th, 2007, 08:59
Sounds and looks like a cool concept.

The only problem I see is that is it not center with the console. This can probably cause some problems.

Sektor
September 19th, 2007, 12:18
If you can set an offset for how much left/right tilt is needed then it won't matter that it's not in the centre. For some reason, it's more expensive than the DS motion sensors. There is another thread about it here:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74331

gelon
September 19th, 2007, 15:18
Pirated ¿? There is no official motion sensor so it cant be pirated

Un-Official maybe

^_^

"Piracy Scene" LOL, nice words in the correct forum ;-)

Sektor
September 19th, 2007, 15:58
Yes, there is a difference between unlicensed and pirated.

"We can only hope that a developer takes notice and ceases the opportunity to produce a gadget like this for a more mainstream game."

The word he wanted there was seizes :). Computerandvideogames.com needs some better editors.

reakt
September 19th, 2007, 16:38
It would be awesome for lair remote play!

Buddy4point0
September 19th, 2007, 19:54
can you program the controls for it or does it come default with only left right up and down.
cause i would love to change it to r and l so i could use this for locoroco, that would be sooooo cool

cal360
September 19th, 2007, 20:02
can you program the controls for it or does it come default with only left right up and down.
cause i would love to change it to r and l so i could use this for locoroco, that would be sooooo cool

If we could implement this into the flash of the PSP it may be possible to use it for Loco Roco which would be brilliant, I hope it's fully customiseable then.

PSmonkey
September 20th, 2007, 01:32
WTF, The price went up. I was highly tempted to order one this morning but not at $69

Airdevil
September 20th, 2007, 09:38
Ive just realised with this..... If the headphone socket is being used as well as the serial, does that mean that no apps ever created for this will be able to use sound?, because the psp will think theres a pair of headphones in when there isnt.

and $69 is just being stupid.

Art
September 20th, 2007, 13:26
I wonder what makes it a pirate motion sensor.
Does it say Arrghhh! when you squeeze it?

bah
September 20th, 2007, 15:03
At night it transforms into a robot pirate and plunders and pillages your bedroom.