PDA

View Full Version : Army of Two uses 9/11 imagery

Shrygue
September 19th, 2007, 16:28
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172323)

The latest trailer of EA's military shooter Army of Two, which will be released for PS3 and 360 on 16 November, opens with footage taken from the 9/11 terror attack, showing smoke bellowing from one of the World Trade Centre towers.

A 2006 press release stated that Army of Two "will throw gamers into hot spots ripped from current day headlines" and having the opening cinematic begin with the events of 9/11, it certainly seems intent on living up to that premise.

Considering that there have already been a number of films about the events of 9/11, it's not really a surprise that games would eventually use the sensitive subject matter as a basis for plot. However, with this being the first game to do so, it'll be interesting to see how gamers and the public react.

Take a look at the trailer here (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/xbox360/game/news/article.jsp?releaseId=2006050317355749022&articleId=20070919102412808026&sectionId=1006).

ElRazur
September 19th, 2007, 18:57
Bring it on, it is about time we could implement this into other things.

cal360
September 19th, 2007, 18:59
I'm not sure if this is the right subject to put into a game it's too sensitive and happened not that long ago I think a few people may be upset by seeing it in a game.

ElRazur
September 19th, 2007, 19:03
What is the acceptable time frame before we are allowed to implement these things into games (just because it is sensitive?)

Should we not talk about Jews killing in the hands of Nazi Hitler because it is sensistive or should we not impelement it inot any form of media?

cal360
September 19th, 2007, 19:21
I just think that right now this still is a current issue and not past and many people are still grieving for the loss of friends and family. I have been to the site at where the towers stood and it was quite emotional knowing what happened there.

geise69
September 19th, 2007, 19:38
One more reason I hate EA with a passion.

jonezybaby
September 19th, 2007, 20:32
^^ Why u hate EA that much?

Cap'n 1time
September 19th, 2007, 22:21
The good:
The graphics seem to be impressive assuming these are actual real time renders.

The bad: This will not help American's understand what is really going on in the war, as it only portrays one side of the argument. Also there arnt a whole lot of recent battles between the actual Taliban and America (at least that I am aware of) and I doubt there will be in the future. That only leaves one thing... battles in Iraq... which have nothing to do with the opening cinematic.

The ugly: Clearly this is EA attempting to cash in on a tragedy. Can't we enjoy one aspect of our lives without some ****ing propaganda machine relating it to politics?
Politics does not belong in games, however, this will most likely link the two.

VexnadFett
September 20th, 2007, 04:26
lol "RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES!!1!" ... wow... haven't seen that before >.>

F9zDark
September 20th, 2007, 18:15
Well I can see this as a good and bad thing. But to be perfectly honest, the government has DONE NOTHING to try and make this tragedy more bearable. Ground Zero is completely desolate, a constant reminder as to what happened there.

If the government can constantly remind us of 9/11 by their inaction, then a game can certainly use it as a basis of tying the story into real-life events.

But those who do not wish to see this content, simply enact your right NOT to purchase it. There is no reason whatsoever that a game should be banned or forced to be altered because it uses real life events.