PDA

View Full Version : Metal Chassis Omitted to Reduce Weight

wraggster
September 20th, 2007, 00:46
One way to reduce the weight of the old PSP has been admitted,

The most noticeable feature of the new Play Station Portable (PSP-2000), which was developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE), is its lightness. Its mass is 189 g, 91 g lighter than the old PSP (PSP-1000).

What is the factor that reduced weight of the PSP by 33%? The Nikkei Electronics Disassembly Squad started on taking apart the PSP-2000 with the help of engineers. We prepared a PSP-2000 and PSP-1000 to uncover the secret of the lightness by disassembling them concurrently.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20070918/139264/

jungletek
September 20th, 2007, 01:10
Fascinating article!

Seems the new batteries are different in more than just their capacity...

cDub
September 20th, 2007, 03:06
FYI they open a slim battery on the last page.

ICE
September 20th, 2007, 03:19
haha make your psp 1000 into a psp light!
remove the chassis!

mike_jmg
September 20th, 2007, 04:23
So it means that if I get mad at some game it might break?

Now I don't know if I want to change my old and more solid psp, I might just get a camy faceplate & buttons

I was planning to buy a new slim one, so I'll give my old one to my brother, but now I'm not so sure about it (he he, maybe I'll keep both)

Johnny Rash
September 20th, 2007, 04:52
I'm surprised the old PSP can handle my intense PSPRevolution playing. Now I know not to switch to the new one. Might break it in half.

kcajblue
September 20th, 2007, 06:05
I'm surprised the old PSP can handle my intense PSPRevolution playing. Now I know not to switch to the new one. Might break it in half.yeah. pspr is so much fun.
it gets intense when you play hard levels.
it really might break in half.

goliath182
September 20th, 2007, 08:21
so by this would psp phat be much tougher and stronger than psp slim & lite

Veskgar
September 20th, 2007, 17:35
so by this would psp phat be much tougher and stronger than psp slim & lite

In some ways maybe, but the way I see it is that because the PSP Slim is substantially lighter, the trauma of impact from a fall or dropping it would not nearly be as bad as dropping a heavy PSP Phat.

So in that way, the PSP Slim is actually more durable.

However, my initial March 24th 2005 launch PSP is still alive and well despite being handed down to 2 small children. That's gotta say something about the quality of the original PSP.

Johnny Rash
September 21st, 2007, 00:22
In some ways maybe, but the way I see it is that because the PSP Slim is substantially lighter, the trauma of impact from a fall or dropping it would not nearly be as bad as dropping a heavy PSP Phat.

So in that way, the PSP Slim is actually more durable.

However, my initial March 24th 2005 launch PSP is still alive and well despite being handed down to 2 small children. That's gotta say something about the quality of the original PSP.

Unless the ground gets softer for the PSP Slim it's still going to suffer the same impact. All matter falls at the same rate depending on the resistance in encounters on the way down. And little to no difference is made if it was dropped from say...my hands while in playing position while I'm standing.

I would think that the PSP Phat that is reinforced by pretty lightweight metal will take less damage, more or less. Either way actually, both PSPs are pretty damn fragile. Yeah, they can do pretty good with kids but if dropped...goodbye beacon of portable gaming.