PDA

View Full Version : PSP sales rocket in Japan

wraggster
September 21st, 2007, 15:52
via gibiz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/index.php)

Sales of the PlayStation Portable have increased by over six times on the previous week's figure, according to the latest data available from Media Create.

The handheld sold 95,487 units in the week ending September 16, up from 15,564 the week before. Sales of other consoles remained stable from the previous week, with the Nintendo DS in second place with 79,974, and the Wii in third shifting 26,181 units.

One of the reasons for the PSP's sudden jump in popularity could be the release of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII on that format - the title sold 487,000 copies in its debut week.

Full hardware figures:

1. PlayStation Portable: 95,487

2. Nintendo DS: 79,974

3. Nintendo Wii: 26,181

4. PlayStation 2: 13,128

5. PlayStation 3: 13,101

6. Xbox 360: 1243

7. Game Boy Advance: 836

8. Nintendo GameCube: 97

robman84
September 21st, 2007, 16:02
Wow! Proof, if proof were needed, that software sells hardware. Good on you Sony, and good for me too - more PSP hardware in the world = lower second hand prices when I'm ready to buy one :-)

mikebeaver
September 21st, 2007, 16:25
Hmmm, not really this is all down to Final Fantasy.
if I remember correctly, it has been stated on this forum that the FF:CC PSP Slim and Lite has sold out in Japan, now there were 77,777 of those, so this weeks sales of 95,487 should be minus the FF:CC ones to give you an impression of what the normal Slim and Lite has sold, to my equations it is in the region of 18,190 (ish) about the same as what has sold in Britain.
It only managed to sell 15,000 more than the DS Lite, which doesnt have any special releases this week.
Not trying to knock the console, just pointing out a few things, especially as a couple of the PSP's sold there this week are on the way to me :)

Mike..

Sonicboy 101
September 21st, 2007, 16:38
I'm not surprised - FF7 CC is a cracking game!

kjetil1991
September 21st, 2007, 17:17
psp psp psp psp yeah more games more sales !)

Veskgar
September 21st, 2007, 17:18
WOW! Not used to seeing those numbers for the PSP. Although the PSP Slim & Lite was not the redesign many hoped for, it has nonetheless been redesigned to a great extent as revealed by those disassembly articles. And it is very much improved. Looking at pictures of it doesn't do it justice. Hold one in your hand and play around with it and you'll see a big difference.

With great games and improved hardware, the PSP Slim & Lite has a nice future ahead.

Its also good because SONY will be forced to constantly try and squeeze more features in the firmware for the PSP to continually evolve.

Shrygue
September 21st, 2007, 17:23
Whoa, it's incredible that the PSP right now is selling more than the DS Lite and Wii consoles. Let's see how long it can hold the top spot for.

Basil Zero
September 21st, 2007, 18:17
Whoa, it's incredible that the PSP right now is selling more than the DS Lite and Wii consoles. Let's see how long it can hold the top spot for.

It'll probably drop to second or third soon.

But regardless it'll do good with future releases such as Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops 2 :)

jerrt
September 21st, 2007, 20:44
holy crap, the psp just outsold the ds for 1 week. i'm surprised this news hasn't been shouted all over the gaming world.

hacksparrow
September 21st, 2007, 22:33
it doesnt apply much 2 usa, WE NEED COLOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLUE PURPLE PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! edit: i forgot simpsons yellow & spiderman red!!!!!!!!!!

Shadowblind
September 21st, 2007, 23:27
Wh00t! Soar to the top PSP! :D

iceman100
September 21st, 2007, 23:37
Lol don't get to excited next week it will be nothing more than a memory lol that who these things happen, and what do you think will happen when a real game like FF IV comes out?

Shadowblind
September 22nd, 2007, 00:03
hmmm....now that you mention it, the sales are top in JAPAN. Japan happens to be the size of the state of Montana for one thing...

I fear he is right. I wish the PSP to finally get recognition it deserves, but...hte only reason its selling so much is because of the lukewarm storyline on a UMD.

....sigh.... :(

VampDude
September 22nd, 2007, 01:26
DS will be at the number 1 spot again by this time next week, SONY just had a lucky break with the fact that they released a new PSP and a large number of limited edition sets.

JPJunkie
September 22nd, 2007, 08:44
What PSP top seller for 1 week surely it can't keep it up or can it?