PDA

View Full Version : Project Warmonger for PSP - Quake 3 Graphics on PSP ?

wraggster
September 21st, 2007, 20:54
Nexus Studios have posted about their new homebrew game claiming it will have Quake 3 Graphics on PSP, heres the news from them:

Well it's about well over due for a new update for Project Warmonger for PSP. A lot has been going on in life so it's been hard to put something together properly. In today's update I'd thought I'd shed some light on some of the technology aspects of the game we're doing as well as some little news updates.

We are currently in the pre-production stage but are very close to starting full production. Right now we're working on getting most of the kinks out of our technology side of things. Something I can talk on right now is how the engine renders environments. Unfortunately right now I cannot give any media of our progress but I can say that some recent stress testing that we can render huge environments within the engine and keep a stable smooth 60 fps and we have not even done any proper optimization. Our goal in the end is to hit a stable 30 FPS considering we will have lots of action going on but we will try to hit above that mark.

If I we're to compare the environment that we testing to a current game I would probably say take the map "Blood Gulch" from the game Halo (a map everyone basically knows), now on its own Blood Gulch is a pretty large environment on its own but still manages to keep everything in sight, nothing really fades away due to short draw distance. What we're able to render is a map approximately 3 times the width and 2 times the height of Blood Gulch but still have everything in sight, meaning you can look at a structure at the other side of the map and not have it fade away or pop out. This is just the view distance, not even the actual size of the map; we can render maps much larger, you just won't be able to see that far, even still it's quite impressive!

Now you're probably wondering with rendering such large environments we must be taking a great hit on the other graphical sides of things. I can safely say that this is not the case, with these large areas we're still able to have super sharp textures that keep detail and don't lose detail and a reasonable poly count for models. Graphically we can pull of a quality very similar to Quake 3 arena which for a PSP game (let alone a homebrew game) looks darn good.

So that's what we can say right now, again what I'm saying is not final since things can change from when we start till we finish. We are soon ahead on starting full production, once we get the last hitches going out then we can start hopefully mid to end of September. We're still shooting for this year but we may have to delay, again not final but we want to make it as best as we can before releasing it.

We hope you enjoyed this; we're trying to now be more frequent on the updates since we have been quiet for a while.

http://www.nexusclanonline.com/nexus-studios/index.html

eatnooM
September 21st, 2007, 21:04
Sounds great, I look forward to hearing more about this project.

ICE
September 21st, 2007, 21:16
that would be insane. lets see if they can pull it off before we get too excited though. this is a pretty huge undertaking after all..

DarthPaul
September 21st, 2007, 22:40
Omg can the PSP go that far? :eek:

Let's wait and see what happens...

Buddy4point0
September 22nd, 2007, 01:01
thats awsome!!
i cant wait.
serously amazing!

cataphrax
September 22nd, 2007, 03:53
Aaaaaah! Looks like my new favorite homebrew! Please dont let this project not be completed!

IM back!
September 22nd, 2007, 04:36
fantastic sounds to good to belive

pkmaximum
September 22nd, 2007, 06:19
I'm not going to give my hopes up before i see real progress taking place, as sad and unfortunate as it is, talk is cheap. I'm not saying its impossible in any way. But a lot of homebrew this big just never reaches completion. I really hope it does though. and before the end of the year even though that sounds more impossible I really hope it happens =D. And obviously I hope they plan to implement multiplayer.

kjetil1991
September 22nd, 2007, 10:18
do i smell a hit? !D

kyyubidx
September 22nd, 2007, 11:52
I smell a hoax... What they are claiming is almost impossible (if not impossible at all) considering the PSP's hardware... Bottom line.

Cokemusic
September 22nd, 2007, 14:08
A project this size , i'm a bit skeptical .

I need something visual before i'll get excited.

10shu
September 22nd, 2007, 16:18
Look kind of cool...It s a shame they have to use model and texture ripped from commercial game! that suxxx monkey ballzzz...

Other than this I am looking forward to see there engine running on psp. I am actually curious to see how they manage to have lot of thing on screen with a 60fps and keep sharp texture <this is what i actually fighting in my homebrew game...god damm mipmap!!!:D >

jamotto
September 22nd, 2007, 16:44
It will be interesting to see how far the Irrlicht engine can go, looking forward to this.

Cloudhunter
September 22nd, 2007, 16:57
They haven't ripped any textures or models from commercial games :p

Cloudy

10shu
September 22nd, 2007, 17:07
They haven't ripped any textures or models from commercial games :p

Cloudy

u sure of this??
http://www.nexusclanonline.com/nexus-studios/images/bloodgulch.jpg

cause this look awfully like game asset from HALO2. especially the vehicle<probably the low poly version of the LOD> and textures

well maybe it s just a test level and they plan to do a original asset later on or something...

Anonymous D
September 22nd, 2007, 17:09
Graphically we can pull of a quality very similar to Quake 3 arena which for a PSP game (let alone a homebrew game) looks darn good.

they meant quake 3 quality not using the actual recourses.

edit: above- that is an actual shot from halo i think.

Gene
September 22nd, 2007, 17:12
u sure of this??
http://www.nexusclanonline.com/nexus-studios/images/bloodgulch.jpg

cause this look awfully like game asset from HALO2. especially the vehicle<probably the low poly version of the LOD> and textures

well maybe it s just a test level and they plan to do a original asset later on or something...

I'm almost positive that it is just a picture of the halo map, NOT the one they are working with.

10shu
September 22nd, 2007, 17:19
oh ok! cool thank for the info..can t wait to see what it look like then :)

I wonder if they actually manage to do castshadow like in the halo shot...

kyyubidx
September 22nd, 2007, 17:29
Can't be done! Think! the halo map they claim they is SOOOO much bigger than 32 MB and is the one they're talking about is BIGGER can anyone tell me how to get that working? Next they're going to claim DS emu on PSP at 10 fps? BS... Sorry for being a d*** but i'm just using simple facts

10shu
September 22nd, 2007, 17:36
Can't be done! Think! the halo map they claim they is SOOOO much bigger than 32 MB and is the one they're talking about is BIGGER can anyone tell me how to get that working? Next they're going to claim DS emu on PSP at 10 fps? BS... Sorry for being a d*** but i'm just using simple facts

but they do not need those 32MB...like the halo map probably use 256x256 or 512x512 texture that can be resize to 128x128 16 colors on the psp...also all the bump map and spec map would be removed from a psp version. so it would save a lot of memory and probably feet on the psp...<don t get me wrong I hate when homebrew game use commercial game asset...>

but the cast shadow this take processing time...
I am sure the psp can do it on one obj...but a game...?! i am not sure...

kyyubidx
September 22nd, 2007, 17:42
the PSP's GPU and sucky MIPS CPU can't go as far as they claim... Unless it's magically connected to a PC x86 1ghz CPU with more RAM XD lol

PS: I just barely noticed: NO OPTIMIZATION? 60 FPS? YOU f***** crazy?? *faints from laughing*

Cloudhunter
September 22nd, 2007, 17:49
Sigh, they aren't actually loading the actual map. What they are doing is just using it as an example - and remember, all textures will be scaled down for the PSP.

Even so, maps can be streamed instead of just loaded all into memory at once. That's how GTA does it.

Cloudy

Murdock
September 22nd, 2007, 17:52
but they do not need those 32MB...like the halo map probably use 256x256 or 512x512 texture that can be resize to 128x128 16 colors on the psp...also all the bump map and spec map would be removed from a psp version. so it would save a lot of memory and probably feet on the psp...<don t get me wrong I hate when homebrew game use commercial game asset...>

but the cast shadow this take processing time...
I am sure the psp can do it on one obj...but a game...?! i am not sure...

I think you are right ... but still, what they are announcing takes a tremendous amount of memory ... and I am not sure yet how they wanna realize this with only 32 MB of RAM available ... MAYBE this is gonna be a Slim only homebrew ... but that'd be very sad.

Another possibility is that they only render what the player sees ... this is possible, computer graphic cards of a manufactor I just forgot used this tecnique to be able to cope with high end graphics even though the chip was not that good. Unfortunately, the major manufactors don't do that ... I wonder why ... maybe to sell overpriced high end graphics boards? :) Anyway .. back to topic:

I think that they have just posted this picture as an example of a map which their engine CAN render ... this is not made using the engine.

BUT: Real time shadows (that's what u r talking about, right?) can be rendered be the PSP very very well ... look at the new Silent Hill DEMO which wa sleaked ... it has shadows vor every object in a room/ on a map ... this looks awesome. And I think "Dead Head Fred", a very good looking and fun game uses such shadows, too.

kyyubidx
September 22nd, 2007, 18:01
Sigh, they aren't actually loading the actual map. What they are doing is just using it as an example - and remember, all textures will be scaled down for the PSP.

Even so, maps can be streamed instead of just loaded all into memory at once. That's how GTA does it.

Cloudy

Yes that is true... But remember... Even when at 333mhz GTA LCS (the only one i own) still could suffer major FPS slowdowns in certain parts... That and I don't think LCS ran at 60 fps... a bit lower it the 50s but not 60 straight... What NEXUS are claiming is SOLID 60 fps with great detail...

Plus th best looking game for PSP (Crisis Core) looks absolutely awesome and still has major speed setbacks

If they want to make a believer out of me I'll have to see a vid with real time FPS counter...

Murdock
September 22nd, 2007, 18:02
-.- sorry, wrong post ... damn!

Cloudhunter
September 22nd, 2007, 18:16
Yes that is true... But remember... Even when at 333mhz GTA LCS (the only one i own) still could suffer major FPS slowdowns in certain parts... That and I don't think LCS ran at 60 fps... a bit lower it the 50s but not 60 straight... What NEXUS are claiming is SOLID 60 fps with great detail...

Plus th best looking game for PSP (Crisis Core) looks absolutely awesome and still has major speed setbacks

If they want to make a believer out of me I'll have to see a vid with real time FPS counter...

Well, I think it's very possible.

AFAIK, GTA only lags as an image.

Cloudy

10shu
September 22nd, 2007, 18:20
one question tho...how do they got that much attention...with nothing to show??!?!?! there on every psp homebrew website...this is some seriously good PR :).

my homebrew game, i ve posted lot of screenshot, games asset, video of it in this forum and never get the front page on dcemu...:confused:

I should just do a fancy webpage instead of focusing on making the game :rolleyes:

kyyubidx
September 22nd, 2007, 18:36
Well, I think it's very possible.

AFAIK, GTA only lags as an image.

Cloudy

NO! I didn't say LAG i said SLOWS DOWN... A lot of games LAG in iso mode... GTA slows down in certain parts in UMD.. It can't be avoided...

Still I'm not sayin I don't look forward to it... I'm just sayin its really hard what they're claiming if not impossible...

Cloudhunter
September 22nd, 2007, 18:42
one question tho...how do they got that much attention...with nothing to show??!?!?! there on every psp homebrew website...this is some seriously good PR :).

my homebrew game, i ve posted lot of screenshot, games asset, video of it in this forum and never get the front page on dcemu...:confused:

I should just do a fancy webpage instead of focusing on making the game :rolleyes:

Try submitting in submit news and typing proper English?

Maybe it'll get to the front page more.

Cloudy

cataphrax
September 22nd, 2007, 18:45
The lte engine which, i think their using a version of, or perhaps a modified version of is powerful enough at least to look like a commercial game. Try the tech demo, it might get your hopes up. ltestudios.com

10shu
September 22nd, 2007, 18:46
Try submitting in submit news and typing proper English?

Maybe it'll get to the front page more.

Cloudy

lol...do my best but english isn t my main language...:(

kyyubidx
September 22nd, 2007, 19:04
what's your main language 10shu? Maybe i can translate it for you...

remansano
September 22nd, 2007, 19:37
Sweeeet dude!!
So, next step is to port Battlefield 1942 for the PSP, right????

LOL, I could pay some hundreds of dolars to see Battlefield 1942 running on the PSP (sure it would never have the same graphical quality, but still HUGE maps, 1st person shooter and a lot of vehicles)

10shu
September 22nd, 2007, 21:53
what's your main language 10shu? Maybe i can translate it for you...

Thank you buddy...my main language is french.
however i spend 7year in the uk and if my english isn t perfect. I used to beleave people can understand me if they wan t to :)

I already post stuff on the news thingy of dcemu
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72217

well maybe i should go post new stuff in there...

Wretched_Wyx
September 23rd, 2007, 14:26
Sigh... With only 32 MB of RAM and 2 MB of video RAM, I'm gonna have to say they are bluffing.

First off, if they were really doing as much as they were saying, they would have local alpha/beta tests going, else they couldn't proclaim these things. I mean, you can't say you did something, unless you actually did it right? Thus if they were making a powerful game engine like this, they would be showing some screenshots from those alpha/beta tests, not talking.

Second... They say "sharp textures" are present, with these huge maps with Quake 3 quality graphics. I assume when they keep comparing, they speak of things like polygon counts, particle effects, perhaps a shader system... shadows? Now with textures... With only 2 MB of video ram, you can't push too many large textures at once, though you can offset texture loading to regular RAM... But then you have to think about the whole "huge levels" thing, *without* distance fading. It just doesn't seem feasible at all to me. Unless they were using really small textures (then they won't be sharp), or they aren't using very many at all (then these huge levels are going to look bland).

There is a plethora of other technical details that just don't seem right, and the fact that they don't talk about anything in a technical sense, gives me the feeling they are amateurs who are very much pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. So for now, I say... I'll believe when I see it. Until then, I'm slightly offended that those guys have taken anyone's time and attention. I'll gladly apologize for saying that if they prove themselves though.

one winged angel
September 23rd, 2007, 16:24
Sigh... With only 32 MB of RAM and 2 MB of video RAM, I'm gonna have to say they are bluffing.

First off, if they were really doing as much as they were saying, they would have local alpha/beta tests going, else they couldn't proclaim these things. I mean, you can't say you did something, unless you actually did it right? Thus if they were making a powerful game engine like this, they would be showing some screenshots from those alpha/beta tests, not talking.

Second... They say "sharp textures" are present, with these huge maps with Quake 3 quality graphics. I assume when they keep comparing, they speak of things like polygon counts, particle effects, perhaps a shader system... shadows? Now with textures... With only 2 MB of video ram, you can't push too many large textures at once, though you can offset texture loading to regular RAM... But then you have to think about the whole "huge levels" thing, *without* distance fading. It just doesn't seem feasible at all to me. Unless they were using really small textures (then they won't be sharp), or they aren't using very many at all (then these huge levels are going to look bland).

There is a plethora of other technical details that just don't seem right, and the fact that they don't talk about anything in a technical sense, gives me the feeling they are amateurs who are very much pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. So for now, I say... I'll believe when I see it. Until then, I'm slightly offended that those guys have taken anyone's time and attention. I'll gladly apologize for saying that if they prove themselves though.

i think so too this is just like all the other hoaxes

10shu
September 23rd, 2007, 21:04
wow...this is amazing for the psp :)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25441.html

yeah right...somebody going to have to change the name of there games...