PDA

View Full Version : [WIP Video] Adhoc PS1 games using 2 PSPs (!)

StoneCut
September 21st, 2007, 21:21
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/982/screencapiu6.jpg

AhMan has just shared this excellent new early preview video with us which shows 2-player PS1 games using 2 PSPs via adhoc WiFi connection.
You can get a glimpse of things to come in a new iR Shell public release some time in the future here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=86szS-wXcI0 <- Click to watch

AhMan would like to point out that 2-player PS1 games via Adhoc is still in a very early development. It's not even in beta yet, actually.

Many thanks to all donators who are making this possible !

(This is a follow-up to the previous video from a couple of weeks ago which showed 2-player PSX games on PSP using a PC and RemoteJoy. If you would like to see that video again (or you simply missed it) then please check here again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAc-_-DsAPc)

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Adhoc_PS1_games_using_2_PSPs)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Adhoc_PS1_games_using_2_PSPs

blackrave
September 21st, 2007, 21:45
Thanks a lot for the video, StoneCut, it looks amazing already and I look forward to the public release. :)

I wish the best of luck to you, AhMan, and the whole project.

Safari Al
September 21st, 2007, 21:57
wow really great news man! hope this will continue :thumbup:

wraggster
September 21st, 2007, 22:07
yeah great news, moved to PSP News Forum

NoQuarter
September 21st, 2007, 22:35
Ahmazing,quite a nice surprise.

DarthPaul
September 21st, 2007, 22:41
Amazing.

AhMan is a genius. He always puts a lot of work and inspiration on iR Shell and it gets way too much improvements with every release. I love that.

kcajblue
September 21st, 2007, 22:51
man.
that is frigging awesome.

eatnooM
September 21st, 2007, 22:56
Wow, I didn't think that adhoc support would be implemented for a loooooong time. Now all I need is someone else with a PSP, the will to put CFW on it and a memory stick big enough to hold Rollcage. :P

danknugz
September 21st, 2007, 23:02
ive waited soo long!this is wonderful news! now i wonder if the multi tap will ever work... theres one or two that would be fun... revolt? ...hmmm gee , now i cant think of any game that would be fun with 3-4 players on psx! anyone?

drock82
September 21st, 2007, 23:03
wow imagine playing resident evil 2 with this!!!somebody can be claire and the other player can be leon,probably wouldnt work since its 2 disk

NeoXCS
September 21st, 2007, 23:20
wow imagine playing resident evil 2 with this!!!somebody can be claire and the other player can be leon,probably wouldnt work since its 2 disk

Was that supposed to be serious? :confused: Well anyway that's a single player only game drock so it wont ever be able to be played by two people within the same game environment; :p Sorry if I sounded mean by the supposed to be serious thing. :D

hacksparrow
September 21st, 2007, 23:21
wow ahman somethin that balogna shoulda implemented, but didn't cause god knows why.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

mikebeaver
September 21st, 2007, 23:22
This is cool as F*C!K
I have 2 psp's at home already and have a couple of the Slim final fantasy versions on their way from Japan so am looking forward to trying this out at some point, Stoncut, give me a shout if you want it tested on the slim, am on irc.malloc,us most nights bud, gimmie a shout if im not about.

Mike..

blackrave
September 21st, 2007, 23:22

It probably won't work since Resident Evil 2 doesn't natively support multiplayer and probably would need excessive hacking to make it, so I doubt it, yeah. :)

I, too, wonder if 3-4 players would be possible. Bomberman World 4 player seriously rocks, and football games would also be fun.

royvedas
September 21st, 2007, 23:31
Awesome!

mavsman4457
September 21st, 2007, 23:43
This is awesome but I really just want multiplayer via remotejoy. Now that would be something. It would be like having a completely portable PS1 with the games built in.

mfz64
September 22nd, 2007, 00:08
awesome! can't wait for the release

CaptainMorgan4
September 22nd, 2007, 01:01
Yeah this looks promising, could there ever be a Infrastructor mode made in the future? I'm certainly appreciative in this but I'm kind of wondering why custom firmwares didn't ever try to build this in?

VexnadFett
September 22nd, 2007, 01:08
this can't be possible!!! made possible!!!!!

StoneCut
September 22nd, 2007, 02:36
This is awesome but I really just want multiplayer via remotejoy. Now that would be something. It would be like having a completely portable PS1 with the games built in.
That's already possible in the betas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAc-_-DsAPc

PoorKingz
September 22nd, 2007, 02:40
i wonder if it just syncs the controls, like DGEN. it would be annoying if the games kept losing synce.
(like if the 2 PSPs showed enemies or players in different locations)

Veskgar
September 22nd, 2007, 07:27
Incredible! Its stuff like this that really shows that the sky is the limit when it comes to how far homebrew can be pushed on the PSP.

Congrats to Ahman for pulling this off. I can't wait to see future developments also.

Because PSX emulation works great on the PSP Slim & Lite, I wonder if this could be accomplished on the Slim as well. If you need iRshell though, it's probably just working for PSP's capable of 1.50 kernel.

ab88
September 22nd, 2007, 07:39
Because PSX emulation works great on the PSP Slim & Lite, I wonder if this could be accomplished on the Slim as well. If you need iRshell though, it's probably just working for PSP's capable of 1.50 kernel.

The 3.xx kernel version of IR Shell probably works on the slim if I'm not mistaken :)

Spotfist
September 22nd, 2007, 09:20
This is fantastic! I was playing some games on dgen the other day and was wishing I could do the same with a few ps1 games! Brilliant!!!

Also are there any planned updates to the ps1 emulation? Iv noticed a few games that are supposed to work but crash later in the game :( Brian Lara cricket runs out of memory...

Cloudhunter
September 22nd, 2007, 10:11
Amazing :)

Shame I no longer have 2 PSP's available :/

Cloudy

mavsman4457
September 22nd, 2007, 16:02
That's already possible in the betas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAc-_-DsAPc

I have already seen that, I was just saying that I am more excited for that feature than this one although both sound great and I hope they will both be in the next public release soon.

mike_jmg
September 22nd, 2007, 17:21
Cool!!

Murdock
September 22nd, 2007, 18:03
Am I the only one wondering why only the WiFi light of ONE of the PSPs is blinking?

Normally, if one is getting signals from the other, both should be on, isn't that correct?

Oh, and can any1 tell me the name of the game he is playing at first?

Thx in advance!

jak66
September 22nd, 2007, 18:04
The 3.xx kernel version of IR Shell probably works on the slim if I'm not mistaken :)

It might if iR Shell didn't error out cause of unsupported firmware

pspfan
September 22nd, 2007, 19:32
ive waited soo long!this is wonderful news! now i wonder if the multi tap will ever work... theres one or two that would be fun... revolt? ...hmmm gee , now i cant think of any game that would be fun with 3-4 players on psx! anyone?
Revolt? I didn't even know that was a PSX game, I have it for PC. But I love that game, so thanks for reminding me about it, I'm going to get the PSX one for my PSP now!

and Murdock, wifi light isn't blinking because the faceplate he's using covers it up.

As for PSP Slim support, AhMan doesn't have a slim, but if someone donated him one that could speed up development for the slim :P

Sonicboy 101
September 22nd, 2007, 19:37
This is incredible news!

domthegod
September 23rd, 2007, 08:00
Now point me rong but th other psp (White one)the green light for the on swithch says it isnt on and the wifi isnt flashing

Murdock
September 23rd, 2007, 11:49
... but if someone donated him one that could speed up development for the slim :P

:rofl: donate me one and I'm gonna speed the process, too ... LMAO! :D

:rofl:

The only thing I have to do for receiving free PSPs is learning to code apps for the PSP ? muhahahha I'm gonna start right away :p

StoneCut
September 23rd, 2007, 14:55
The only thing I have to do for receiving free PSPs is learning to code apps for the PSP ? muhahahha I'm gonna start right away :p
Yes, "all" you have to do is learn to code, waste a whole year continuously improving your program, put countless of (expensive) coding hours into it for free, put up with people who complain about free software and then you *might* get enough donations to buy you a replacement PSP in a year or so.

Alternatively, if you're a coder just could also just do some hired work for 2 or 3 hours and buy yourself a PSP ...

The point is, though, that if you already do all this stuff for free for the community then you really don't want to have to spend money on new hardware etc, too, right ? It's like you pay double while everyone else just takes, you know.

So when coders ask for donations it's not because they'll get rich that way. Believe me it's far from it ! It's all about feeling appreciated instead.

blackrave
September 23rd, 2007, 15:21
Now point me rong but th other psp (White one)the green light for the on swithch says it isnt on and the wifi isnt flashing

The creator of the video said this in the comments section to someone asking the same question:

The white PSP has a 3rd party replacement faceplate which doesn't align properly with the LEDs.

Very intelligent reply, StoneCut.

unstoppable_96
September 24th, 2007, 00:51
WOnder when this is going to release, i love iR Shell

mavsman4457
September 24th, 2007, 02:34
I can't wait for these two things but it would really make IRshell complete if there were more codecs added especially AVI/ xvid and divx. That would make everyone use it I'm sure.

Broadus
September 24th, 2007, 06:41
Sweeeeet! I dunno' why Sony couldn't be bothered to implement multiplayer, thanks go out to AhMan for working on it!

pspfan
September 25th, 2007, 01:53
I can't wait for these two things but it would really make IRshell complete if there were more codecs added especially AVI/ xvid and divx. That would make everyone use it I'm sure.

ANYONE can code a plugin to run ANY filetype and it will work with iR Shell. So don't limit this to iR Shell coders. Don't get me wrong--it would be very hard to make one, I'm just saying you shouldn't request this from AhMan when you could request it from anyone as a plugin to iR Shell.

Also, Sony most likely didn't include WiFi multiplayer for the PSX emulator because they run PSX games at 333 mhz and they don't like overclocking the WiFi chip (which is not intended for 333 mhz).