PDA

View Full Version : Sony PSP 1-SEG digital TV tuner hands-on

Shrygue
September 22nd, 2007, 21:55
via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/21/sony-psp-1-seg-digital-tv-tuner-hands-on/)

Just launched in Japan, Sony's got high hopes for its 1-SEG digital TV tuner -- and with over seven million Japanese PSPs now capable of viewing high quality video over the air (complete with EPG), we can't blame Sony for it's optimism. The only way you'll get one of these, though, is if you pack your sorry self up and move on overseas -- or find a way to set up a pirate 1-SEG cell, anyway. It'll might just be worth it though, the whole mobile TV experience we saw on this tuner was pretty smooth, with near-instant channel changes and that slick guide, to boot.

Images here (http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-psp-1-seg-digital-tv-tuner-hands-on/)

michael chan
September 22nd, 2007, 22:20
Ahhh. i hope they make one for canada n u.s... >_<! i should move to japan just for this..

someone shoud start a petition n lets see how many signatures we get n send them to sony.

DarthPaul
September 22nd, 2007, 22:27
I want it! I want it! Stupid lucky japenese!

ICE
September 22nd, 2007, 23:23
GRRR i want one that isnt 1seg so everyone else can use it.

voorheesda
September 22nd, 2007, 23:55
Sounds really cool, so are there like, some basic channels or can you expand your channels or woot?
I wouldn´t say no to one of these. :) :D

luis_05
September 23rd, 2007, 00:40
arrrghhhh!!!!!! *drolls*

r-complex
September 23rd, 2007, 01:14
Back in the day.. The Turbo Express (TG-16 AKA PC Engine) portable & The Sega GameGear both had TV Tuners for them. So.. why not? I had the TV Tuner for the GG and it worked very well! It used a wheel analog tuner like some early portable TVs and Radio tuners had. Even had a mini jack to hook up Audio & Video like a VCR! There were no DVD players back then!:-) But, since we are all supposed to go HDTV by 2010 in the U.S.. I don't know if Sony will make one for us here. But, it *could* in theory be done!

ayhoung
September 23rd, 2007, 05:18
would there be any incompatilbilites between ntsc and pal

CaptainMorgan4
September 23rd, 2007, 06:53
Yeah someone make a petition so the USA can get it.

gordyOrr
September 23rd, 2007, 07:47
wow, I don't know exactly how reception would be, but it sounds like it could be a pretty great add-on. sign me up, i'm in.

/_[][]_\2.0
September 23rd, 2007, 09:56
Id sign it. id would be nice to watch heroes in the car

michael chan
September 23rd, 2007, 18:22
hurry someone make a petition. =D watching tv on the way to class would kick ass..

Dickhead
September 25th, 2007, 12:40
I hope 1-SEG is released in the UK as our analog TV signal is switching to digital unless this TV tuner is compatable with our digital freeview signal then is no good here and its not worth it!

NeCrom-X
October 28th, 2008, 14:21
I hope 1-SEG is released in the UK as our analog TV signal is switching to digital unless this TV tuner is compatable with our digital freeview signal then is no good here and its not worth it!

Nope 1-seg will never work anywhere but Japan and Brazil.

The US and even in EU when we all goto digital we are still using UHF/VHF frequencies just changing the signal type from analog to a digital transmission. 1-Seg is powered by a satellites a very different signal completely. 1-seg is like how cell phones communicate but the Japanese did the smart thing and used it for their free over the air TV because everything comes in clear easier.

I'm hoping Sony will make a HDTV tuner eventually.

Damn didn't see it said Sept 2007 for the last post I'm a little late here aren't I hahaha.