PDA

View Full Version : The way to run more homebrews on PSP-Slim from XMB!

wraggster
September 23rd, 2007, 01:02
Be3f one of our regulars posted this to help you get more Homebrew apps/games etc working on PSP Slim:

I've found a way how to run more 1.XX core homebrews on PSP Slim with 3.60 m33 custom fw and save some space on Memory Stick: the solution is to convert your EBOOT.PBP (and all your homebrew data) into ISO/CSO format. You'll need the pbp2iso application and UMDGen

Read the Manual inside the pbp2iso archive:

pbp2iso Manual wrote:
What to do:
• First make sure you have the 1 or 2 PBPs for the program you wish to convert.
• Now open pbp2iso.exe and follow the instructions in that program.
• Navigate to the folder where pbp2iso.exe is.
• If there are any extra files in your PBPs folder, copy them to <pbp2iso folder>\geniso\PSP_GAME\SYSDIR
• Open UMDGen, open the geniso folder in the pbp2iso folder, drag in the PSP_GAME folder and UMD_DATA.BIN file, and save the iso.
• Now delete the geniso folder to clear it for future conversions.

Notes:
• Any app that uses a config file will be broken unless reprogrammed to use the memory stick specifically (aka not a relative path)
• If converting emulators, you will need to add your ROMs to the iso image as well as the emulator, since most emulators do not have drive swapping functions, and they will start in disc0 drive.
• Credit to pspmad for the method and PARAM.SFO/UMD_DATA.BIN files used.
• Any apps that try to access set paths (aka paths in their PSP/GAME/name folder) will be broken, unless it is not part of the game folder and you set it up normally on the memory stick (set paths on memory stick, game in iso)
• To end pbp2iso.exe before iso creation is done, cancel a file select dialog.

While iso is a single file, transfering it to memory stick will also be much faster, then coping hundreds of small files; you may also compress it into CSO using UMDGen to same some extra megs on MS ;) But there is a limit: CSO/ISO is read only by 3.60 m33 built-in fw loader, so you can't change (save changes in the config file - some changes in some progs may be done in RAM) any settings in your homebrew, if it uses the config file inside the Game folder (PSP/GAME/Homebrew_Folder), but not in the special folder (in the root of the MS for example).

E.g. Serious Dungeons v0.5 - the 1.00 fw homebrew - doesn't run from 3.60 m33 XMB (but runs under eLoader 1.000!), but it will run from XMB if you compile it into CSO (the only limit for CSO - you won't be able to change the config)...

Downloads Via Comments - Discuss Also

DarthPaul
September 23rd, 2007, 01:07
"While iso is a single file, transfering it to memory stick will also be much faster, then coping hundreds of small files."

Yeah but the time you'll safe in the transfer has been consumed x 1,000 converting it. :rolleyes:

Sterist
September 23rd, 2007, 01:28
"While iso is a single file, transfering it to memory stick will also be much faster, then coping hundreds of small files."

Yeah but the time you'll safe in the transfer has been consumed x 1,000 converting it. :rolleyes:

that's a one-time deal though

once it's converted, you can transfer it 1001x if you want, so you can see the difference :cool:

XioN980
September 23rd, 2007, 02:08
so essentially your making homebrew UMD's lol

gunotns
September 23rd, 2007, 02:30
I can't get pbp2iso.exe to run on vista

BelmontSlayer
September 23rd, 2007, 04:09

1)Format HardDrive
2)Install Windows XP
3)Run application
4)???
5)PROFIT!!!

Sterist
September 23rd, 2007, 04:13
i tried every brew i have.

if your homebrew isnt a single-file game (eboot.pbp) then you got a pretty low chance of this actually working for you. unless i'm doing something wrong here. . . ....followed every instruction to the letter

...n images dont compress well at all :( in fact, they get bigger. about 50% bigger

Nicko01
September 23rd, 2007, 05:44
the readme of pbp2iso says:
"If there are any extra files in your PBPs folder, copy them to <pbp2iso folder>\geniso\PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\"

Illegal Machine
September 23rd, 2007, 06:54
didnt work for me either.

not on any of the ISO modes...M33 driver, Legacy, sony-np no umd nothing worked

bah
September 23rd, 2007, 07:37

If you haven't disabled UAC, have you tried right clicking the exe, going to properties, and from there setting it to run as administrator?

Sterist
September 23rd, 2007, 07:41
the readme of pbp2iso says:
"If there are any extra files in your PBPs folder, copy them to <pbp2iso folder>\geniso\PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\"

i repeat -- To the letter.

edit: tried usrdir too

2nd edit: and both kernels, boot and eboot.bin, and every combination of the attempts i mentioned in these 2 edit messages

3rd edit: for every brew i have (20~25)

4th edit: my hex editor aint helping! it exposes very few filepaths in data.psp or eboot.pbp of any game, and the only ones that show up do not make a difference when edited

is anyone else having problems booting these generated homebrew iso's? anyone at all? lol

Johnny Rash
September 23rd, 2007, 10:41
1)Format HardDrive
2)Install Windows XP
3)Run application
4)???
5)PROFIT!!!

Agreed with completely.
Vista offers NOTHING new.

Converting PBP to ISO?
Going to try it out.

But how does this raise the compatibility with the Slim?
I don't get it...

dukepoth
September 23rd, 2007, 10:41
While iso is a single file, transfering it to memory stick will also be much faster, then coping hundreds of small files

Meh, faster, by the time you get this thing to work you could have tranfered the files normally 1000 times over.

ab9003
September 23rd, 2007, 11:53
Meh, faster, by the time you get this thing to work you could have tranfered the files normally 1000 times over.
Isn't that exactly what a poster on the first page said? Anyways, it seems like this doesnt do much, I always seem to get an error when trying to boot up things iso'ed. Perhaps a video of somebody actually getting this to work would be useful.

FreePlay
September 23rd, 2007, 14:08
RETARDED.

UMDs, ISOs, and homebrew all use the 'GAME' mode and the SAME KERNEL.

The compatibility will be exactly the same.

Cloudhunter
September 23rd, 2007, 14:36
RETARDED.

UMDs, ISOs, and homebrew all use the 'GAME' mode and the SAME KERNEL.

The compatibility will be exactly the same.

The FreePlay has spoken.

Shows over folks, move along...

Cloudy

GobboFett
September 23rd, 2007, 14:50
On a technical level doesn't this come under the subject of being ISO talk and being forbidden on these boards? I mean on a moral level us legit PSP users shouldn't be using ISO's in any way, shape or form. I am of course just speaking morally...

bah
September 23rd, 2007, 16:27
Talking about ISOs is against the rules because when people use the term, 99% of the time they are referring to disc images of commercial PSP games.

Turning homebrew into a disc image is completely different, especially morally.

mnuhaily22
September 23rd, 2007, 17:33
1)Format HardDrive
2)Install Windows XP
3)Run application
4)???
5)PROFIT!!!
I've heard this a million times, and it is true to an extent, but i'm a sucker for the vista look, I know there is WindowBlinds, but that messed up my computer several times, so now i'm on Vista Ultimate!!!btw I upgraded from XP media center, which I now miss because of compatibility, but vista still gets the job done...

goliath182
September 24th, 2007, 11:05
1)Format HardDrive
2)Install Windows XP
3)Run application
4)???
5)PROFIT!!!
Well I find Vista must less buggy than XP but I dont get detached to XP when I Dual Boot :thumbup:

Be3f
September 25th, 2007, 10:33
Oh Wraggy, sorry i've forgot to post this on the dcemu - only on qj and ps2dev...

Cloudhunter
September 25th, 2007, 12:32
It doesn't really matter - more homebrew's won't work as it uses the same kernel.

Cloudy

Be3f
September 25th, 2007, 12:40
Of course, but some - work) For example, try it with Brushes (http://dl.qj.net/Brushes-v1.5-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/11910/catid/151) - doesn't run from XMB from the eboot, but works perfect in cso conteiner ;)

nonosabes
September 25th, 2007, 23:53
Ok show it working, none of my hb work, made a video and give us details of what version of hb you use.

nukester
November 18th, 2007, 00:11
Ok show it working, none of my hb work, made a video and give us details of what version of hb you use.

can anyone upload any homebrew they got working as a cso and pm me the link

casium
August 31st, 2008, 18:43
i wanted to convert the pbp file of FF7 which is 1.47gb big into iso file so i can further make it smaller into cso file. but it took very long. very very long. may i know by estimation how long would it take to convert it?

Haisook
January 22nd, 2009, 14:30
This is a joke. It never worked here.

shady_88
June 9th, 2009, 19:20
pbp2iso.zip

"Unexpected end of archive"
Please upload a new one!
thank you!