PDA

View Full Version : PSP DOSBox Build 24.9.2007 - DOS Emulator for PSP

aTomIC
September 24th, 2007, 14:16
via emunews24 (http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257)

Crazy C (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3179) just released a new patch and binary of PSP DOSBox. He said:

I've put up a new patch and binary that hopefully will fix your problem with switching modes. Also, you can now mount your memory stick as an hdd image to work around the psp fat driver limitation. Be very careful! For now don't try it with a memory stick who's contents you care about! Try not to remove the memory stick without unmounting it first. Do not insert another memory stick without unmounting the previous one! Do not mount the memory stick as an image and as an regular mount at the same time as there is a good chance you will corrupt it! Mount it using "imgmount msstor0: -t hdd -fs fat -size ". Win311 works with this if you comment out the blockdev and pagefile devices in system.ini.

Download Links

0.71 patch (http://home.wi.rr.com/crazyz/dosbox.patch.gz)
0.71 binary (rename to EBOOT.PBP if you have to) (http://home.wi.rr.com/crazyz/dosbox)
0.71 conf file (http://home.wi.rr.com/crazyz/dosbox.conf)

Download Above and Give Feedback/Compatability Reports Via Comments

blackrave
September 24th, 2007, 16:14
Thanks for the news, aTomIC! I love that you always upload the newest DOSBox version to your site. I recommend downloading it from there.

Thanks, crazyc!

neutrOpik
September 24th, 2007, 19:12
Hi, tank's for this post.

This version is compiled? If yes, where I put the patch?

regard's

neutrOpik

Vega
September 24th, 2007, 19:25
I would still love to know if 11th hour or 7th guest works on PSP Dosbox

aTomIC
September 24th, 2007, 19:43
Hi, tank's for this post.

This version is compiled? If yes, where I put the patch?

regard's

neutrOpik

I compiled the latest binary. Only download the latest build from my site, unzip and copy to your memstick. Ready to use.

Since the latest version, i modified the configuration file. 10 MB memory space (RAM), optimal frameskip, the new commands (autocycle etc.) and soundblaster 16 settings (220 5 1 5). So, Commander Keen series, Jazz Jackrabbit, Wolfenstein (and Spear of Destiny of course), Settler series (1 and 2) and many other games works great with sound and smooth graphics. And again, big thanks to CrazyC for his port, comments and helps!

Roomain
September 24th, 2007, 19:55
Does it work on 3.71 M33 ?

I've tried to rename dosbox binary and to place it in ms0:/PSP/GAME/dosbox and I have a corrupt icon on XMB when I want to launch it.

neutrOpik
September 24th, 2007, 20:01
Tank's aTomIC for the precision and also a big tanks for all modification on this version. I post that on Gx-mod.

Tank CrazyC too for this great app :)

regard's

aTomIC
September 24th, 2007, 21:03
Does it work on 3.71 M33 ?

I think not because it runs on 1.50. You need the eloader or wait till DAX/M33 release the 1.50 patch for PSP Fat user with 3.71 M33 firmware.

I've tried to rename dosbox binary and to place it in ms0:/PSP/GAME/dosbox and I have a corrupt icon on XMB when I want to launch it.

If you rename the dosbox file to eboot.pbp it won't run because you need a compiler like elf2pbp to convert/compile the binary to an executible psp file. Just download the compiled dosbox from my site or look at http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3179 . Maybe, Mr. Murdock can compile dosbox, too.

dgila
September 24th, 2007, 22:14
Please make it compatible with psp slim :thumbup:
I had the "old" psp but I sold it and now dosbox does not run on the slim.

indstr
September 25th, 2007, 04:02
Commander Keen series, Jazz Jackrabbit, Wolfenstein (and Spear of Destiny of course), Settler series (1 and 2) and many other games works great with sound and smooth graphics.

everyone's idea of "smooth" is different. how many frames per second are we talking about here? i've always been curious to try this emulator, but i don't want to dive into it and waste a bunch of time unless it's truly playable.

Murdock
September 25th, 2007, 07:29
everyone's idea of "smooth" is different. how many frames per second are we talking about here? i've always been curious to try this emulator, but i don't want to dive into it and waste a bunch of time unless it's truly playable.

:rofl: yeah, right. I was wondering about this sentence , too. "Smooth" in atomic's sense does nto seem to mean "playable", especially concerning Settlers 2. Luckyly, the game runs in this release of DosBox. Beforehand, I received an error when I was trying to start it. But it doesn't run near full speed at all, unfortunately. Eventhough the mouse moves quite fluently, the game itself reacts very sluggish to mouse clicks on objects, buildings, flags, etc.

But other, more simple games are running very well. Commander Keen Series for example is running at full speed. Eye of the Beholder 2 is near or at full speed. Battle Isle is at full, just like Cannon Fodder 1 & 2, Civilisation, Colonisation, Duke Nukum 1 & 2, Lost Vikings 1 and many many others.

Games like Leisure Suite Larry run, but not at 100 % ... but Larry for example is very playable, even the 6th part of the series. I mean even Lords of the realm 2 is running, not very playable, though, but it loads and you can play! So I don'T think it's a waste of time. CrazyC is putting a lot of effort into his work to get the emulator running as best as possible.

However, another thing is that I don't see what Atomic has been editing in the dosbox.conf. I mean to set the GUS emulation to false, okay ... but the rest is as it's been for 2 releases now. You even "forgot" to activate keyhint to make the input of letters with p-sprint easier :o

Anyway, here's my compiled version:
http://rapidshare.com/files/57854536/DosBox_23.09.07___Manual_1.2.rar

I've also added DosNavigator to make the loading of games easier. You don't even need to type anything to get the games working. Just use the analog stick and click on the folder u want. Used the (incomplete) manual I've made to get started. It explains the installation of the emulator, how to get games running and why it's not sufficient to "rename" CrazyC's releases to get DosBox running on your computer. I also added elf2pbp3, a tool (not made by me!), which compiled CrazyC's releases to eboot.pbp files.

Anyway, just try it. U'll see that it's very easy to launch games with it. But you should read the manual to understand the emulator.

Arithmeticae
September 25th, 2007, 13:08
Would you mind hosting it somewhere other then rapidshare, their one download per day is rather inconvenient.

dangee
September 25th, 2007, 14:30
is there a good reason to risk all the data
on my memstick with this version,
just to access the ms0: root.
ie can the flash drives be mounted?

aTomIC
September 25th, 2007, 14:32

Also, i use psp dosbox with frameskip=1 and can play Jazz Jackrabbit in fullspeed but with little sound problems. I tested different old 32kbyte dosgames and they works. Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny works well but i like to play them on my pc with a real mouse ;) . The Commander Keen series works all with sound and full speed. Slipstream 5000 works but very slow (i played it on my real 80386 dx 40 in fullspeed. why could not run correctly psp dosbox - its emulate a 80486 with 33 mhz.)

Ah, i forgot:
The last Eichhoff and Aro & Elmi works in full speed.
Tony & friends in Kellogg's Land works very, very slow and crashes after title screen.
Also, i tested the fangame "Super Mario" (by Mike Wierry or so) and it runs very slow.

What i would say, PSP DOSBox runs the most old classic dos games. Its emulate only a 80486-33 MHz with maximum 10 megabyte ram and a cga,ega or vga graphic adapter. Some games will not run, some games are full playable and some games full playable with smooth gfx.

If you want play Tomb Raider 1 (dos version of course) on your psp, forget it.

Would you mind hosting it somewhere other then rapidshare, their one download per day is rather inconvenient.

http://www.emunews24.com/files/temp/DosBox_23.09.07___Manual_1.2.rar

indstr
September 25th, 2007, 14:34
But other, more simple games are running very well. Commander Keen Series for example is running at full speed. Eye of the Beholder 2 is near or at full speed. Battle Isle is at full, just like Cannon Fodder 1 & 2, Civilisation, Colonisation, Duke Nukum 1 & 2, Lost Vikings 1 and many many others.

I've also added DosNavigator to make the loading of games easier. You don't even need to type anything to get the games working. Just use the analog stick and click on the folder u want. Used the (incomplete) manual I've made to get started. It explains the installation of the emulator, how to get games running

Wow! thanks for the wealth of information and useful file! i will check it out when i get home from work today. I've been in the mood for some commander keen lately so that will suit me perfectly (i know there is a clonekeen port for psp, but i was hoping to play through the entire series :) ) after i run through that, i may try out some other 2d platforming classics like jill of the jungle, xargon, hocus pocus, electroman :-D

and i guess after that, i will try to run a mod tracker. after hours of turmoil, i finally got octamed to work in pspuae, but it's slooooow and the sound quality is terrible. i just assumed dos would be even slower than amiga, but your post has renewed my faith in it :thumbup:

Arithmeticae
September 25th, 2007, 14:39
http://www.emunews24.com/files/temp/DosBox_23.09.07___Manual_1.2.rar

Many Thanks.

Ok, here's a simple question. I noticed that you have it in the GAME150 folder, but I put it in the GAME folder and it works fine. I'm running 3.40 OE-A, which folder should I put dosbox in?

aTomIC
September 25th, 2007, 20:12
Many Thanks.

Ok, here's a simple question. I noticed that you have it in the GAME150 folder, but I put it in the GAME folder and it works fine. I'm running 3.40 OE-A, which folder should I put dosbox in?

In your recovery menu, you set the homebrew kernel to 1.50, so you can put any 1.50 homebrew in GAME and GAME150 folder.

indstr
September 26th, 2007, 04:39
this is wonderful! i've tried commander keen 1, 2, and silverball plus 2. the speed is very impressive. the only problem is that i can't get sound to work at all with them. i've tried running the sound setup.exe with silverball plus 2, and setting it to soundblaster instead of gus, but no luck. nothing comes through for keen either. i have tried multiple things in the dosbox.conf but it seems like nothing works.

i've tried scream tracker and modedit, and they are both able to use the soundblaster. i've also tried alley cat and avoid the noid, and they use the pc speaker just fine.

so what the heck is wrong with soundblaster & games? what am i doing wrong? thanks a bunch!

Murdock
September 26th, 2007, 07:00
this is wonderful! i've tried commander keen 1, 2, and silverball plus 2. the speed is very impressive. the only problem is that i can't get sound to work at all with them. i've tried running the sound setup.exe with silverball plus 2, and setting it to soundblaster instead of gus, but no luck. nothing comes through for keen either. i have tried multiple things in the dosbox.conf but it seems like nothing works.

i've tried scream tracker and modedit, and they are both able to use the soundblaster. i've also tried alley cat and avoid the noid, and they use the pc speaker just fine.

so what the heck is wrong with soundblaster & games? what am i doing wrong? thanks a bunch!

hmm, it's hard to tell what your mistake is. Maybe it's not even your fault and the game just causes trouble or DosBox can't cope with it.

If you want to, u can upload the game(s) somewhere so I can download it and have a look at it/them.
Maybe I can find the error :)

But don't post the link to the game here ... those admins always get kinda annoying when it's about links to abandonware and other games :rolleyes:

Just PM it to me and tell me here that you've done so, since I don't check the PMs daily :)

Arithmeticae
September 26th, 2007, 11:55

That's weird, the sound works for me in commander keen. A few things, it may sound stupid, but are you sure you have your volume up? Also, in commander keen 1-3, there is no sound until you actually enter the game, there is no sound in the menus and opening, at least on the psp.

If you still don't have sound what config are you using? Try using Murdoch's config file he has posted a little earlier, that should give you sound.

aTomIC
September 26th, 2007, 12:54
Download the windows port of dosbox and set up the soundblaster settings like on your psp dosbox. Then, start dosbox (windows) and run the setup.exe of the game. Setup all parameters and save them. Now, you can play with sound on your psp.

I tried it on Jazz and it works. If you have any problems, you can send me an email to atomic(at)cgemulation(dot)net.

indstr
September 26th, 2007, 13:53
but are you sure you have your volume up? Also, in commander keen 1-3, there is no sound until you actually enter the game, there is no sound in the menus and opening, at least on the psp.

If you still don't have sound what config are you using? Try using Murdoch's config file he has posted a little earlier, that should give you sound.

yes, i have my volume up. like i said, sound worked with scream tracker and pc speaker games. i did go all the way in game on cc 1 and 2 before. no sound in game, when you are actually jumping.

and i used murdoch's file from the start. when it didn't work with the default settings is when i started editing the dosbox.conf to try things like disabling the gus and pc speaker, lowering the sample rate and increasing the buffer size, etc. none of it worked

Download the windows port of dosbox and set up the soundblaster settings like on your psp dosbox. Then, start dosbox (windows) and run the setup.exe of the game. Setup all parameters and save them. Now, you can play with sound on your psp.

I tried it on Jazz and it works. If you have any problems, you can send me an email to atomic(at)cgemulation(dot)net.

sounds nice, but commander keen doesn't even have a setup exe, and i would hate to do this for every single game

i'm cursed i guess

aTomIC
September 26th, 2007, 17:02
sounds nice, but commander keen doesn't even have a setup exe,

I mean the setup.exe of the game Silverball, of course. In Command Keen, the settings will be set automatically, if you have correct settings in your dosbox.conf. I play only some old games on my psp, so i made a seperate dosbox folders with key settings.

I uploaded my Command Keen 4 with dosbox, configuration and game (shareware of keen4) and it works well on my psp with sound. I configured the keys as follow:

D-Pad for up, down, left and right
Select -> ESC
Start -> ENTER
Cross -> S (jump)
square -> Space (Fire)
circle -> D (Pogo)

Have fun and here the download link:
http://www.emunews24.com/files/temp/ckeen4.zip

(unzip and copy the complete folder to your memstick like psp dosbox)

Have fun

PS.:

sounds nice, but commander keen doesn't even have a setup exe, and i would hate to do this for every single game

i'm cursed i guessYou must set up every game in dos thats why dos are dead and windows so popular (no setup.exe ;) )

indstr
September 27th, 2007, 01:25
no no, i was around back in 93 playing games on my 486, so i realize that you have to setup every game in dos, but i'm saying i would hate to have to set it up on the PC dosbox first, save the settings, and then copy it back to psp just for every single game.
so i tried your keen 4 packup and it works like a charm

i tried switching it out with keen 1 and sound still didn't work. i guess i just have some messed up versions of games. how is this even possible? i wonder what is wrong with them.

Murdock
September 27th, 2007, 08:09
no no, i was around back in 93 playing games on my 486, so i realize that you have to setup every game in dos, but i'm saying i would hate to have to set it up on the PC dosbox first, save the settings, and then copy it back to psp just for every single game.
so i tried your keen 4 packup and it works like a charm

i tried switching it out with keen 1 and sound still didn't work. i guess i just have some messed up versions of games. how is this even possible? i wonder what is wrong with them.

You don't have to copy back 'n' forth every time ... just go into the setup of the game you wish to play in DosBox for PSP ...

There's really no need to set up another DosBox on the PC ... except you've too much time to waste :p

I have all Commander Keens uploaded on rapidshare. Just sitting in front of my PSP playing Keen 6 ... BUT I just figured out that keen 2 has no sound either!!!
To be honest, I've only tried keen 1 and 2 for a minute the last time I copied it on my psp ... I prefered keen 5,6 and 7. 6 and 7 have sound, for shure! BUt the others ... I don't have time to test them atm ... so I'm gonna PM you the link to all the games, Keen 1-7, okay? :) Then you can test my versions ...

Arithmeticae
September 27th, 2007, 11:58
You don't have to copy back 'n' forth every time ... just go into the setup of the game you wish to play in DosBox for PSP ...

There's really no need to set up another DosBox on the PC ... except you've too much time to waste :p

I have all Commander Keens uploaded on rapidshare. Just sitting in front of my PSP playing Keen 6 ... BUT I just figured out that keen 2 has no sound either!!!
To be honest, I've only tried keen 1 and 2 for a minute the last time I copied it on my psp ... I prefered keen 5,6 and 7. 6 and 7 have sound, for shure! BUt the others ... I don't have time to test them atm ... so I'm gonna PM you the link to all the games, Keen 1-7, okay? :) Then you can test my versions ...

Would you like me to send you my keen folder. I have sound for all the keens and they all work beautifully.

indstr
September 27th, 2007, 14:51
that is all good and well, but it's still disturbing that it doesn't work on some copies of them. a dos game is a dos game is a dos game.... or so we previously thought. this port of dosbox must have some core problems

but good news is ... last night i tried out several games ... hocus pocus, traffic department 2192, omf2097, sound works on all :-D

in other news .... tyrian & xargon don't load :(

Murdock
September 27th, 2007, 17:59
Would you like me to send you my keen folder. I have sound for all the keens and they all work beautifully.

Hmm, that'd be kinda nice :) So I could try them, too and maybe I can figure out what's the matter.

And maybe you can upload your DosBox folder, too. Or do ya have my release? Then you can leave that :)

Upload it on rapidshare and send me the link via PM

that is all good and well, but it's still disturbing that it doesn't work on some copies of them. a dos game is a dos game is a dos game.... or so we previously thought. this port of dosbox must have some core problems

hmm, of course is a dos game a dos game ;)

But that doesn'T mean every dos game can run w/o problems on every computer which has dos as OS ... have u seen it that way? Maybe we've just set the wrong audio emulation? ... Who knows... we could compare our Dosbox.conf files ... I don't know whether ur using my version or some other version or whatever.

Anyway ... it also might be a problem of the game itself ... different versions of the game ... updated versions might run, others not, etc. ...

[hamster]
September 27th, 2007, 20:07
Thanks for all this great discussion about the dosbox settings! I was wondering if anyone has tried to get sound working using the gravis ultrasound emulation. I was interested in trying to get some old demoscene prods running. I tried Second Reality by Future Crew, but can't get it to recognize a GUS. It mostly works with SB, but there is a lot of sound stuttering. Apparantly, the GUS used significantly less resources than a SB (not to mention sound better), so I thought that might be a way to free up much needed memory for the demo. Any thoughts?

Murdock
September 28th, 2007, 07:06
;524198']Any thoughts?

My thought is ... upload it so we can have a look at it ;)

What did u do to get GUS working? Correct settings in DosBox? I haven't tried to do this, since I thought SoudBlaster emulation is okay.

The stuttering might not be the problem of the soundblaster emulation. It's been an issue ever since CrazyC released it, I think :( But he has already tried to reduce it, with success I think. It's still there,but much less than at the beginning.

[hamster]
September 28th, 2007, 15:27
What did u do to get GUS working? Correct settings in DosBox? I haven't tried to do this, since I thought SoudBlaster emulation is okay.

Unfortunately, I never actually got the GUS to work. I don't actually have any old skool DOS games to see if it is a problem unique to the demo or if it is a problem with GUS in general. I should get a hold of some other demos/games and see if the GUS works with those. Can someone try GUS sound with commander keen or jazz jackrabbit?

I modified dosbox.conf to turn off soundblaster emulation completely, and then tried a bunch of different values for the GUS base address, irq, and dma. None of these changes had any effect. The GUS sound card was just never recognized by the program. I'm starting to wonder if GUS is implemented in the psp port. :confused:

I just remember from back in the DOS days, games would have lower system requirements when using the GUS because the processor on the card itself did more work than the SB. I have no idea if this would translate to speed gains in the emulator setting or not.

dangee
September 30th, 2007, 13:33
;524523']Unfortunately, I never actually got the GUS to work..

The notes in dosbox.conf mention midi patch files needed for GUS
should be put in the c:\ULTRASND folder. So,
it looks like GUS would only work for game versions that
include the needed MIDI's.

If you're looking for performance improvement , try dropping sample rates,
& disable the OPL mixer.
Also, try the other soundblasters . Some may work better than
others for different games

Masta-G
September 30th, 2007, 13:46
Anyone tried Jazz Jackrabbit?:D

aTomIC
September 30th, 2007, 14:18
Yes, i said in previous postings. I play Jazz Jackrabbit (fullversion) on my psp with psp dosbox. It runs very well. Only, you must set up the gfx to lower (386 pc).

dangee
September 30th, 2007, 16:21
... Only, you must set up the gfx to lower (386 pc).

hey, that sounds like a handy option - do you have the
config variable=value
setting to enable 386 gfx?

also, dos navigator's really useful, but
it spawns a heap of 2k .swp files in the /dn folder.
Is it ok just to del *.swp during autoexec?

[hamster]
October 1st, 2007, 20:14
The notes in dosbox.conf mention midi patch files needed for GUS
should be put in the c:\ULTRASND folder. So,
it looks like GUS would only work for game versions that include the needed MIDI's.

This is correct, but the dosbox.conf file used by the PC version says the same thing. However, the .pat files are not needed for GUS sound output. At any rate, I downloaded a set of GUS .pat files, placed them in the appropriate directory on the psp, and GUS sound still didn't work.

I'm starting to think that the GUS is not emulated in the psp version, because even if gus=true in dosbox.conf, the SET ULTRASND variable is not called during bootup. I manually inserted "SET ULTRASND=240,3,3,5,5" at the end of dosbox.conf. After booting with this file, programs will recognize a GUS at the address and load appropriately, but will not actually play any sound.

I don't really want to bother CrazyC, the author of the port, but I'm dying to know if GUS _should_ work! :D

dangee
October 1st, 2007, 22:44
Nice work,[hamster].
I couldnt get GUS working,& it sounded like Murdock had no joy
with it either.
Your experiments suggests a bug,or that for some reason GUS
emulation isnt possible on the PSP. Either way I don't
think it'd be out of order to post a bug report to CrazyC, with
the details of the setups you tried. It may take a while to climb
the top of the todo list tho!

I'd really like to see a DosboxPSP pre-boot menu (like recovery in
CFWs) to select one of up to ten .conf files from /DOSBOX

TheFoil
October 13th, 2007, 12:33
Wow I just got Betrayal at Krondor working! Very nice!
There's no sound though, gotta figure out how to get that working... but still very cool!

Simon82
October 25th, 2007, 13:37
Wow I just got Betrayal at Krondor working! Very nice!
There's no sound though, gotta figure out how to get that working... but still very cool!

I don't understand why I've problems with original psp inputs. Directional button seems to work only if I press various times and not always... like a conflict I would say...

I've not modified original conf and ini file.

And what about sound a little disturbed?

BloodLust8
November 19th, 2007, 11:20
Dune 1 is playable and somewhat smooth as long as you some frameskip.

Master of orion works but is to slow to play:(

jurkevicz
November 19th, 2007, 13:46
I got Alone in the Dark working (really good speed) but I can't figure out how to set the controls. Can any one help me?

dangee
November 19th, 2007, 19:26
I got Alone in the Dark working (really good speed) but I can't figure out how to set the controls. Can any one help me?

recommend Howling Mad Murdock's Dosbox guide. There's a d/l link here

jurkevicz
November 20th, 2007, 01:25
Thanks.

dangee
November 20th, 2007, 01:47
TOK, can you manage attachments your Alone in the dark .cfg

NightRaven
November 20th, 2007, 18:31
Does anyone have any advice on how I might get Strife working at a playable rate? PC Dosbox said it was fully playable around version 0.6 or 0.7 but it runs kinda slow on the PSP. Just thought I might be missing something here. Thanks in advance for anyones help. EDIT: Runs but slideshow.

NightRaven
November 20th, 2007, 18:50
Well the PC version of the Simpsons Arcade starts up but I havent set up\looked into the controls to get past when it asks if I want 1 or 2 players. Does it actually run after asking? EDIT: It runs decent.