PDA

View Full Version : 40GB PS3 as low as £299 in the UK

Shrygue
September 24th, 2007, 18:24
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172535)

CVG has learnt from several sources that PS3 is about to step up to the console war in a big way.

Speaking off the record (which means we can't name names), we've been told by sources in both the publishing and retail sectors that PS3 is on the verge of receiving a massive price cut - to £299.

But this won't be for the 60GB system that's currently on the shelves. It'll be a stripped down version, which Sky News reports will ship without backwards compatibility or USB ports. How you'll sync your controllers without them, we don't know.

Sony has been tipped to make an announcement regarding the stripped-down PS3 this week - right on time to combat Microsoft's massive Halo 3 launch.

We'll let you know if SCEE has anything to say.

ElRazur
September 24th, 2007, 19:22
No way it wont come with a port or usb of some kind. You heard it here first.

iniquitous_beast
September 24th, 2007, 19:26
That news can't be right. The PS3 needs USB ports. Maybe this one will only have one port. That would make more sense. My best guess though, is that sony will just use the 20gb model as the base (no wi-fi, no memory card slots, no chrome) and just use the newer, EE-less motherboard.

shedeus
September 24th, 2007, 19:34
i would never buy ps3 w/o backward compatiblity...

pretty much all i play are ps1/ps2 games untill killzone, turismo, and other 08 games come out.

mcdougall57
September 24th, 2007, 19:38
god i though this was gonna be a good deal until i saw the missing emotion engine and usb ports and let me guess no wifi? you suck sony you absolute cheapscates

Accordion
September 24th, 2007, 19:55
impossible.

no backwards compatibility is impossible because of emulation, which is no where near as inefficient as people like to think. all my games play great.

no USB is absurd, no syncing, no media, no peripherals.

the 20GB model was scrapped for a reason.

the money saved from 20GB increases is minimal.

Most important is that most sellers offer bundles of a PS3 60GB with second controller, HDMI cable and two games for £399 meaning you get a console for around £275 with bundle items you actually want/need.

Balthasar00
September 24th, 2007, 21:34
wow, that the brightest thing they ever did since launch. I don't care about backward. My ps2 do the job way better. Bring us this bundle in America!

VexnadFett
September 25th, 2007, 00:34
yarbles! big fuzzy yarbles!

DarthPaul
September 25th, 2007, 00:46
How much is this on USD $$ ??

Shrygue
September 25th, 2007, 02:37
£300 would equate to $604 US at the current exchange rate of now.

DarthPaul
September 25th, 2007, 22:59
Thanks.

So, umm.. the 60gb version is cheaper than this? Damn.

F9zDark
September 27th, 2007, 04:00
I find this... very interesting. No USB? WTF?

How much do they save by eliminating USB? A dollar? Seriously, USB can't be all that expensive. Considering motherboards nowadays ship with 4 back panel USBs and 3 plugs for extra back/front panel USBs it cannot be all that expensive.

By no backwards compat, they merely mean no EE. They cannot eliminate software emulation without rewriting entire firmware updates and even then, they deuniversalize the updates, thus costing more in the end because firmware developers would need to write 2 firmwares instead of one.

I doubt these claims very much. Get basically a 20gb unit + 20 more gigs for nearly 600 bucks? Might as well import a 60gb while they are down to 500 bucks...