PDA

View Full Version : New Coding Comp Coming Soon

wraggster
September 25th, 2007, 00:18
Before i fall into bed after a long day of work then 5 hours in the garden building ruddy fences and near on 3 hours of newsposting i thought it might be a good time for a new competition for the PSP.

Our previous Gamecube/Wii Contest didnt go down that well so im looking at a new comp for the PSP.

Im torn between an Emulator Comp or a Comp for Moddable Games.

An emulator comp would hopefully breathe new life into some projects now dead but a Comp for Moddable Games would bring masses of spin off projects for the PSP.

Not sure what prize to choose at the moment but maybe a GP2X to the winner.

Im also looking for a Coder who can judge in such a way that the best entry wins and no complaints :P

So Emulator Comp or Moddable Game Comp ?( and to be sure you understand i mean new games that can be modded not mods of games :P)

I reckon a Xmas finish date sounds good. Id love a RTS Game thats fully modable but id also like a full speed PSX Emu too :)

jools
September 25th, 2007, 00:26
sounds awesome,
I'd probably go with Moddable Games

DarthPaul
September 25th, 2007, 00:51
I love this Competitions! Bring it on!

I hope to be in one of them once...

Smokerman
September 25th, 2007, 00:56
what the **** are you talking about a fence for you ***

wraggster
September 25th, 2007, 01:06
what the **** are you talking about a fence for you ***

you would like a ban would you, kindly only post when you have something decent to say

michael chan
September 25th, 2007, 01:10
mm nice. wait wait. how about porting comp? like lets port shadow warrior or a better duke nukem port =D huh? HuH?

BEST PORT GETS PRIZE =D?

make a list of games and give the links of the source codes for the games u listed =0?

joesnose
September 25th, 2007, 01:10
you heard

nukester
September 25th, 2007, 01:13
i like the idea of moddable games more than emulators

Tesseract
September 25th, 2007, 01:15
I'm all for the Emulators, myself. Might be just the thing to bring Good King Exophase out from hiatus ;)

But the main thing that I'd be looking for would be a new PSX Player that can handle all those trouble games (Klonoa, Brave Fencer Musashi, etc...) without having to go through the trouble of the Biohazard 'fix'.

Some sprucing up of older emulators would be nice too, like Basilisk, V Jaguar and the various Lynx programs.

Heh... a Proof-of-concept program that can run the Saturn BIOS would probably get a lot of attention even if it can't run commercial games or homebrew.

Personally, I'd rather see a coding compo for the PS2. It's still a thriving console that's had little love, but a lot of potential.

Lodis
September 25th, 2007, 01:29
I vote emulators.

carlitx
September 25th, 2007, 01:36
I love these things, you actually see updates on alot of things and allot of new useful hb and apps. good luck to all then entrants.

pspforme!!
September 25th, 2007, 01:58
i vote emulators

that would set a good stage for ahmans ad-hoc ps1 release and a new version of daedalus :)

PSmonkey
September 25th, 2007, 02:13
Emu compo would be interesting but if the prize is not beefy enough, I dout you will attract the tallent needed to pull off the compo. You'll insted probably get barely any entries or end up with cheap ports.

Modable seems cool but again, you'll posibly just end up with a lot of crap.

Still, i would love to see an emu one go the most (specialy if enough funds could be built to make it worth wild for good coders).

*scraches chin*
When the hell is someone going to finaly make a F-3 emulator. I'm a huge taito fan and i'm close to cracking and doing one my self but I just don't have that kind of time.

Heh... a Proof-of-concept program that can run the Saturn BIOS would probably get a lot of attention even if it can't run commercial games or homebrew.

Na, Trust me it's not all that great. ;)

Buddy4point0
September 25th, 2007, 03:00
i like the idea for a modable game, i would def enter that.

Sterist
September 25th, 2007, 06:41
emulatzorz!!1! for sure :)

i think a good competition type would be XMB-feature-extending (implying 'anything XMB based') or XMB "betterment" (if thats a word), and be judged on a combination of how original / creative / complex they are

that would be quite interesting

armyStrong
September 25th, 2007, 07:08
I've got to be selfish and vote emulators.
I don't spend a whole lot of time checking out the homebrew games, though many of them look incredibly impressive.
But I also agree with PSMonkey in that I think the prize would have to be fairly significant to pull some real talent out of the woodwork to revitalize old projects, recreate others, or originate new ones.

osgeld
September 25th, 2007, 07:33
altho there could be more done with emulators i vote mod game

urherenow
September 25th, 2007, 08:52
emulators... among those choices. But don't we already have PSX full speed courtesy of Sony (and whatever patch DA makes so we can make our own eboots)?

I personally would like it to be an open competition for whatever (games, vsh, emulators) but make them compatible with 3.71 m33. Lot's of old stuff needs porting...

Ghoti
September 25th, 2007, 09:14
Hi!
nice idea but to what extend does it need to be modifiable (if it is a word :rolleyes: ), I mean what is the limit, does every graphics/model need to be changable or only the game elements?

Emu compo, well like the one before us said, we have our PSX emu, our N64 will be made also regardless of this compo and well the other emu are well underway or even done.

Moddable games however are great but I must say I rarely play the mods :s so basicly both ideas have there downside to my opinion.

Aren't there any other types you will consider ?
Like only 3D games to lift the level of games a bit to the 3D scene ?

nice idea though!:thumbup:

lmtlmt
September 25th, 2007, 11:02
moddable games

EvilDooinz
September 25th, 2007, 17:48
I vote moddable games. I would rather see original works. I might actualy have a chance to enter that one.

mikebeaver
September 25th, 2007, 21:51
Definetly Emu's, what with the lack of 1.50 support on the Slim sopme of the older emu's need to be updated and what better to get them done than a great comp.

Be nice to see PSMonkey get the F-3 going (go on, make it worth his while;) )

And the idea of getting Sega Saturn on the PSP is mint, it's highy unlikely as it has never been done well on PC (as far as im aware) but some of the Saturn games were the best of their generation, Sega Rally, Nights, Daytona USA, VF series, the list goes on.

Mike..

fenrir911
September 25th, 2007, 22:06
i vote for best port (i know its not on the list) i believe that a ports comp should be done though because ported games brings back the best games on to your portable system like duke 3d and shadow warrior and aleph one and quake 2 and (do i really need to go on)

Tesseract
September 26th, 2007, 19:55
Definetly Emu's, what with the lack of 1.50 support on the Slim some of the older emu's need to be updated and what better to get them done than a great comp.

Yeah, I was just thinking of this too, as I forlornly look at my 3.71m33 PSP phat. It might not be a good Idea to pull coding talent from a 'rebuilding effort' in order to add more to the scene.

Granted, the Phat'll get a 1.50 plugin soon, but until then....

And the idea of getting Sega Saturn on the PSP is mint, it's highy unlikely as it has never been done well on PC (as far as im aware) but some of the Saturn games were the best of their generation, Sega Rally, Nights, Daytona USA, VF series, the list goes on.

NiGHTs would rule with the PSP's controls! But yeah... I know it's a Pipe Dream, but that's what homebrew programming is all about. Trying new stuff to test the limits of programming skill and the console you're programming for.

When I posted this, I had just been glancing through the list of Dreamcast homebrew (somewhat sadly, since my DC died a while back and I haven't been able to replace it yet...) and noticed that Yabause had been successfully ported to start the Saturn BIOS on the Dreamcast.

fuelthescene
September 27th, 2007, 17:56
I would have to say moddable games. I've recently gotten into Beats of Rage and it would be cool to see more moddable games like this pop up.