PDA

View Full Version : The right stuff for soldering, are these it? NEED PRO HELP

Tetris999
September 25th, 2007, 06:36
Ok just wondering about soldering, i have been following it for 6 months now and finally got the money to buy it

ANYWAY, reading certain specifics of what you should get, im thinking that i didnt get what is good enough

so thats where you (as the reader) come in and help me (tell me) if these are good enough, and that they wont break anything....

First i have
1. Rosin Core Solder (Kester Brand) .75mm
2. Kester Brand acid paste Flux SP-30 (what does SP mean!!??!?!?)
3. Kester Brand Tinning Paste Flux SP-35
4. 25 Watt MasterCraft Soldering iron

are these things safe and ready to go if im going to go around soldering stuff to my consoles such as modchips and such?

ANY HELP will be GREATLY appreciated! thanks guys

BTW! this is for modchippin the PS2

kcajblue
September 25th, 2007, 06:48
wtf.

i thought the only things you need to solder was a soldering gun and some solder.
wth is all that other stuff?

Tetris999
September 25th, 2007, 06:51
wtf.

i thought the only things you need to solder was a soldering gun and some solder.
wth is all that other stuff?

is the watts on the iron good enough is it too much? etc

and the flux is used to make the solder join together on the designated parts, without it the solder would just glob into a ball and not join anything

the tinning flux purpose is unknown to me, sooooo i don't think its necessary but hey since i have it why not list it

sourced
September 25th, 2007, 10:38
no resin?

quzar
September 25th, 2007, 17:49
25 watts is generally too much for any fine soldering (stuff you would do for consoles). It's better suited to soldering wires. That being said, if you are doing something like popping an LED onto something, it would be fine, but if you were to try to attach a wire to a leg on an IC, you might end up tearing the leg off.

For soldering anything to do with ICs (chips) the most important thing is to have a fine tipped soldering iron. You most likely will not need flux. You might want to get a desoldering vaccum (or some other such device) to suck up any solder that may drip.

Also, a good tip would be to use razor blades to isolate an individual leg on an IC. Like this: blade\ leg| /blade doing this ensures that you won't accidentally bridge two legs, and will make it easier to guide your wire onto the leg you want.

Tetris999
September 26th, 2007, 06:22
25 watts is generally too much for any fine soldering (stuff you would do for consoles). It's better suited to soldering wires. That being said, if you are doing something like popping an LED onto something, it would be fine, but if you were to try to attach a wire to a leg on an IC, you might end up tearing the leg off.

For soldering anything to do with ICs (chips) the most important thing is to have a fine tipped soldering iron. You most likely will not need flux. You might want to get a desoldering vaccum (or some other such device) to suck up any solder that may drip.

Also, a good tip would be to use razor blades to isolate an individual leg on an IC. Like this: blade\ leg| /blade doing this ensures that you won't accidentally bridge two legs, and will make it easier to guide your wire onto the leg you want.

yeah i just wanna know if it could get the job done (the 25 watt soldering iron) if i was careful

OR IS THERE NO WAY POSSIBLE of soldering if i have it? because it is a very fine pointed 25 soldering iron (its like a needle)

because i cant return the damn thing and there goes 10.00$$ down the drain

quzar
September 26th, 2007, 06:51
No, you could probably do it, you just need to be careful. I know the first time I tried to do any kind of console work I used a 30 watt and messed everything up pretty baddly. If it has a really fine tip though, it should work.

bullhead
September 26th, 2007, 07:24
If youve never done any soldering before, I recommend that you don't do it. I did soldering for a few years at school, and even then it was difficult. If you mess up, you can't easily go back on yourself. Practice on some old electronic devices, or even better, take a course.

bull, x.