PDA

View Full Version : Are new Sony batteries Pandora-proof?

wraggster
September 25th, 2007, 06:40
via noobz (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/are-new-sony-batteries-pandora-proof.html)

I recently received an official Sony PSP-110 battery (the original fat PSP battery), as new from Amazon. It seems to be a completely genuine Sony part, but it can't be successfully converted to Pandora - the battery creator shows lots of errors, even when flashing an EEPROM image from an older Sony battery.

The only difference from the older battery is that the old battery was made in China, the new battery is made in Japan.

It wouldn't be surprising for Sony to have patched their batteries so that they're Pandora-proof. If this is true, then it still shouldn't be a big problem - I'd recommend buying a new, large capacity battery to use as a regular battery, and using the original battery that came with your PSP for Pandora. And of course, you can always use Booster's multi-IPL loader to use your Pandora battery as your primary battery, if you want. Just don't go buying new Sony batteries for use with Pandora.

unstoppable_96
September 25th, 2007, 06:44
Sony can never stop us :)

DarthPaul
September 25th, 2007, 06:52
Wow is this for real? That sucks!

ice_storme
September 25th, 2007, 07:50
I just made a Pandora Battery today. I was having trouble making it with a Japanese PSP-280 Battery. (Official Jap. Sony 3.6v 2200mah) I kept getting an "address error" in the Pandora Battery Creator software. I then used the basic PSP-110 battery (Official U.S. Sony 3.6v 1800mah) and the program worked. I just downgraded my friends PSP from OFW 3.40 to OFW 1.5, then up to Team M33 3.71. I agree with Wraggster. People should use their stock PSP battery as Pandora & by a higher capacity battery as their primary power source. Just beware of PSP batteries on ebay!

mikebeaver
September 25th, 2007, 08:48
If your getting "Address error's" it means you have a fake battery as far as I am aware.
I have tried it myself with a few fakes and 3rd party batteries, if they dont have the programable eeprom they will give an "Address error at 0x26"

Mike..

Fanjita
September 25th, 2007, 09:27
I agree with Wraggster.

Actually the quote was from me, not Wraggy :)

If your getting "Address error's" it means you have a fake battery as far as I am aware.
I have tried it myself with a few fakes and 3rd party batteries, if they dont have the programable eeprom they will give an "Address error at 0x26"

Mike..

This new Sony battery has errors all over the place, not just 0x26.

-claus-
September 25th, 2007, 10:06
I suspect it's a fake too. Ebay is full of fake accessories like memory sticks etc. So why not fake batteries.

mikebeaver
September 25th, 2007, 10:36
Actually the quote was from me, not Wraggy :)

This new Sony battery has errors all over the place, not just 0x26.

Fanjita, oh ok mate, so basically if its a fake it is more than likely to just give the 0x26 error, if it's one of the new Sony models it will have multiple errors.
Or at least thats the way I understand from what your saying.
:P
Thanks for all the hard work you been doing ,

Mike..

ExcruciationX
September 25th, 2007, 12:16
You can still use that method of lifting a pin on the board in the battery.

jeegee
September 25th, 2007, 12:22
via noobz (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/are-new-sony-batteries-pandora-proof.html)

And of course, you can always use Booster's multi-IPL loader to use your Pandora battery as your primary battery

How easy is it to install/use this loader? I read the read me included with the ipl multiloader and was left a lil confused. Although i am quite a newbie with the code side of stuff.....

Basically i guess my question is can i risk converting my single battery to a pandora?

Anger
September 25th, 2007, 13:33
yeah i bought a battery i thought was a sony original but it was a fake - the only way to tell was to give it several charge/discharge cycles and then test it against my original battery. my orig battery outperformed the new one by 100%+ as my battery gave me roughly 2.5 hours gaming while the fake gave me 50 mins and no more - and my orig battery is well over 2 YEARS old.
on a side note it also couldnt be converted to pandora but i didnt try that until i had tested the life of the battery - it came up with a single error and that error means the flash was non writeable (the serial number would not change after writing). however i do think sony will stop producing batteries with writeable flash inside to try and combat pandora but the psp has been out for years now and that means theres plenty of batteries around, not to mention other manufacturers (like datel) are still making pandora capable ones.

souledge2k5
September 25th, 2007, 13:36
u can risk turning your single battery to pandora. when converting your battery u given a menu where u can turn a normal into pandora, pandora to narmal, and pandora to always on normal. all u gotta do is turn it normal after downgrading.

hounddog
September 25th, 2007, 14:30
sony be tryin to hard to stop homebrew

mcdougall57
September 25th, 2007, 15:03
whos slagging off datel now? we finally found a use for theyre third party battery

jonezybaby
September 25th, 2007, 16:04
im all good, i have 3 psp's and 1 doesnt work so the battery from that psp is pandora :D

Lwiggy
September 25th, 2007, 17:21
Sony will never block the PANDORAS BATTERY because its hardware related not like when they find out a downgrader has been been made (e.g 3.50 lumines) they just patch it up with a update. sony have quickly made this battery cheap and people think PANDORA is usable but its not NOTE TO EVERYONE check before you buy!!

jwilds73
September 25th, 2007, 17:22
I did like many others and simply bought a 2200 mah battery for my normal use and then converted my original into a Pandora battery.

Lwiggy
September 25th, 2007, 17:26
I did like many others and simply bought a 2200 mah battery for my normal use and then converted my original into a Pandora battery.

well its just funny when people complain out mistakes they have made...... they should just check and SONY WILL NEVER BLOCK PANDORA'S BATTERY!!
LOL I LOVE THIS SPOILER THING

jerrt
September 25th, 2007, 17:29
well that speeds up my search for a physically broken psp that i can get the battery from. I've got my memory stick, just need a full time battery.

Lwiggy
September 25th, 2007, 17:31
play.com i think they do normal psp battery's NOT PANDORA PROOF..

EvilDooinz
September 25th, 2007, 17:33
I just got a new battery from Hong-Kong and it looks just like the original one I got with my psp except the Chinese text. The battery fits great. When I ran Pandora it returned multiple errors. I was starting to think it was a defective battery or a fake. thanks for the info fanjita.

Basil Zero
September 25th, 2007, 18:10
I'll be using my original battery as well instead of the new battery, because:

Its been two years since I've used the original battery, it should be less powerful as it was 2 years ago, so therefore, using a new battery to power up my PSP is what I need, and i'll use the old battery to be a pandora version.

Ramza042
September 25th, 2007, 19:57
Exactly what I did, Sears had the Sony 2200 mAh batteries on clearance for 13 bucks a few weeks ago... so naturally, that's my primary battery and my old one is my pandora battery now.

kjetil1991
September 26th, 2007, 18:42
haha sony you pesky nemesis =D