PDA

View Full Version : noob help

September 26th, 2007, 08:35
ok, so i'm pretty much a complete noob to psp homebrew. I have a number of questions about running the homebrew on PSPs, and answers to any would be appreciated. I have a TA-082 slim psp, running on official 3.71 firmware.

1. I understand that going below about 2.50 on TA-082s bricks them even with pandora's battery. So i want to downgrade to v2.71 which can also run all homebrew to get a custom firmware. It seems that I will need pandora's battery to do this. How do I make a pandora's battery with my current psp? alternatively I have seen the TOOL battery on datel, it sounds like a pandora's battery. Since i am a noob, and it costs about the same as a second battery, should i just get one of these.

2. How do i use pandora's battery/MAX power TOOL to go down to 2.71

3. It seems that the firmware is located on memory stick, if this is the case, can i have one with the up to date official firmware and one with a custom one and just swap them?

4. Which custom firmware is the best?

5. Will my games (eg. Ratchet and Clank) work on the custom firmwares?

splodger15
September 26th, 2007, 10:12
I dont think there was a 3.71 Slim PSP firmware only 3.60 plus you can downgrade to 1.50 on a TA-082

September 26th, 2007, 21:27
Ok, let me re-order the questions is order of importance-

1. is Datel's TOOL battery just a pandora's battery? if so i would prefer to just get one of these

2. It seems that the firmware is located on memory stick, if this is the case, can i have one with the up to date official firmware and one with a custom one and just swap them?

3. which custom firmware is best

4. will my official games work on the custom firmwares?

blackrave
September 26th, 2007, 22:19
Ok, let me re-order the questions is order of importance-

1. is Datel's TOOL battery just a pandora's battery? if so i would prefer to just get one of these

Yes, they should work exactly as a custom made Pandora's battery. However, you'll also need a memory stick with the magic files on, which can only be legally obtained by running a software on an already homebrew enabled PSP.

2. It seems that the firmware is located on memory stick, if this is the case, can i have one with the up to date official firmware and one with a custom one and just swap them?

The firmware - both official and custom - is stored in the PSP's flash. You can probably run a firmware straight from the memory stick using Pandora's battery (with the extended menu?), but I don't know anything about that.

3. which custom firmware is best

At the moment, 3.52 M33-4 is the most supported and working custom firmware. The newer one that came out some days ago (3.71 M33) has far less support, and is considered a "rushed release" with "issues".

4. will my official games work on the custom firmwares?

Yes, everything you can do on official firmware, you can also do on custom firmware.

BUT, it seems you are a bit confused and "outdated". First of all, which firmware is installed on your PSP right now? In the XMB (main menu of the PSP), go to System Settings and click System Information to see the System Software installed.

Is it a TA-082 or up? See this image to find out. (http://www.modchip.com/installpics/psp-up/TA-08220check.jpg)

Any PSP - no matter what motherboard it has - up to 2.80 can be downgraded to 1.50, thus can be upgraded to custom firmware, without any extra games or Pandora's battery needed.

If your PSP is between 2.81 and 3.03, you can use an unpatched copy of GTA: LCS to downgrade. To find out if it's patched, insert the UMD in the tray (don't start it), go under Game in the PSP's XMB look beneath the UMD icon for the Update icon. If it has 2.00, it's unpatched, and you can use that. If it has 2.60, it won't work.

If your PSP is between 2.81 and 3.50, you can use the original version of the Lumines UMD to downgrade.

Please elaborate a bit more about your PSP's details and we'll see what we can do. :)

PS: splodger15: DAX/M33 has released a 3.71 version of custom firmware both for the fat and the slim PSP.

September 26th, 2007, 22:44
It is definitely a TA-082, and it is running on v3.71

I really want to get it homebrew enabled, so how can i downgrade it? I don't have access to any homebrew enabled PSPs, so how can i downgrade it? are you sure the Datel TOOL wouldn't come with things like that?

thehumanidiot
September 26th, 2007, 23:28
3 ways
1. find some with homebrew to get memorystick files, or download somewhere
2.Buy a memory stick with the files
3.wait for another downgrader

September 26th, 2007, 23:36
how long will i have to wait for one do you think?

thehumanidiot
September 27th, 2007, 00:05
For a downgrader, they might not even make one, but if they do im guessing about 4-6 months, your probaly best off buying a pandora battery and a memorystick with the files

September 28th, 2007, 08:26
so i cannot simply download the files anywhere? if so, why not?