PDA

View Full Version : Snes9x 0.02y11J3a5 (snes emu for PSP)

wraggster
July 6th, 2005, 18:05
Andon has released a new Unnofficial Port of Snes 9x for the PSP using the sources by Y/J.

<blockquote>Here's a snip from the readme.txt...

Ver 0.02y11J3a5
--------------------
I added a trivial form of Runlength Encoding (RLE) based file compression. It's not as efficient as it could be; compressed runs of data are limited to 255 bytes MAX and it ALWAYS takes 1 byte to store the runlength.
However, it's balanced enough that it reduces file read/write times and doesn't have a negative impact on load times. The average state save is reduced by 85-100 Kb (or about 25-30%) in size with RLE compression enabled.
This not only speeds up state saves/loads, but it makes state saves more friendly for people with smaller Memory Sticks.

State saves that are RLE compressed will not work in other versions of the PSP Snes9X emulator, so I've also provided a utility available from the menu to compress/decompress state saves. Keep in mind that the file timestamp will change if you do this.

I added file size info to the State Save List and a total size for all state saves.

I added support for 3 additional state save slots, for a total of 8 state saves.

I changed the menu code so that it uses cached values for state save file info and thumbnails... This makes the menu open immediately instead of waiting for a state save list refresh.
You can perform a manual refresh with the new menu option: Refresh List.

I recompiled the unziplib library using more aggressive compiler optimizations. Load times for ROMs in .zip files are slightly faster. However, the bottleneck is still the way the unziplib reads small chunks of data from the Memory Stick as it decompresses them. I will optimize the code to reduce this bottleneck in a future version.

I moved Sound and Display options to their own config menus.

I added the ability to toggle debug info in the display config menu... This is useless unless you know what you're doing

All games default to a CPU clock of 333 MHz now.

I tweaked the size of the PSP audio device buffer to reduce stuttering in certain games.

The left and right triggers now scroll up/down a page in the ROM selector list.

Replaced numerous psplib.cpp functions with the new BETA PSP SDK. You'll need to grab the SDK and compile it if you want to compile this version yourself.

Basically you just need to know that state saving is 150%+ faster than other versions due to the RLE compression, there's 3 more slots for state saves, the and the menu's been tweaked (optimized open_menu (...) and improved layout).</blockquote>

Download from here --> <a href="http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/unofficialsnes9xpsp.shtml">http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/unofficialsnes9xpsp.shtml</a>

Thanks to <a href="http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=22937" target="_blank" >Andon</a> for the release.

Cross
July 6th, 2005, 18:12
SO this is based of version y11, any plans to include features and fixes found in y22? (Like the Star Trek TNG fix?) I am interested in trying this out but not at my home system. Also I am not sure how to compair it to the y22 version.

xuphorz
July 6th, 2005, 18:26
all this and not a update in the gameplay speed :(

3dron
July 6th, 2005, 18:28
Ok, I figured out how to bring up menu. L+R triggers+select.

ow what happened to my favorite 4:3 display setting?

I love the fact that it defaults to 333mhz. But how about a config file so we can save frameskip and display settings. I want frameskip 3 and 4:3, v-sync on.

Maybe there is a save for this that I am missing. I hate that it resets with every game I choose.

-3DRON

migsgiz
July 6th, 2005, 19:22
I Have A 2gig So Im Staying With Y22!

shadowprophet
July 6th, 2005, 20:45
Every time i get the newest version. another comes out like ten minuets later,

Im not d/ling this one.

The next snes9x I d/l will have stablity/speed improvment. or im not even interested.

wraggster
July 6th, 2005, 20:47
so which is the best snes emu version so far for say Mario kart ?

shadowprophet
July 6th, 2005, 20:49
V 22 of corse. Its doesn to seem to be as stable as 19 tho :confused:

SmashinGit
July 6th, 2005, 21:09
I can only get 9fps when Mario Kart is actually racing and thats with transperacy turned off and frameskip set to 5 :(

CannedSoup
July 6th, 2005, 22:17
I can only get 9fps when Mario Kart is actually racing and thats with transperacy turned off and frameskip set to 5 :(
The higher your frame skip the less frames your gonna be getting. Your skipping the frames :P Frame skipping gives you a lower frame rate to give you a smoother play.

djrobx
July 6th, 2005, 22:30
One thing I don't understand with these SNES emulators - why isn't auto frameskip working like it's supposed to? In the olden days on my Pentium Pro, SNES9x and ZSnes had an "auto frameskip" setting that would render as many frames as possible. When enabled, the frameskip value is ignored. It was the best way to keep the emulation running at a consistent speed. With these PSP variants, the auto frameskip function doesn't seem to be working like I expect it to. The frameskip value is definitely still being observed, and it doesn't seem to be possible to acheive a consistent speed.

Žeddragon
July 6th, 2005, 22:53
One thing I don't understand with these SNES emulators - why isn't auto frameskip working like it's supposed to? In the olden days on my Pentium Pro, SNES9x and ZSnes had an "auto frameskip" setting that would render as many frames as possible. When enabled, the frameskip value is ignored. It was the best way to keep the emulation running at a consistent speed. With these PSP variants, the auto frameskip function doesn't seem to be working like I expect it to. The frameskip value is definitely still being observed, and it doesn't seem to be possible to acheive a consistent speed.

The PSP is not a computer. PERIOD

ganon
July 6th, 2005, 23:17
well then why is there an auto frameskip?

CannedSoup
July 7th, 2005, 00:16
well then why is there an auto frameskip?
Because eventually its supposed to work. RedDraggons coment was just dumb it has nothing to do with one being a pc and one being a PSP its just the code is broken in not working. Just like frame skip in NeoCD was for tons of versions.

Sniper 13
July 7th, 2005, 00:37
I Have A 2gig So Im Staying With Y22!

How'd you get a 2gb one? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cross
July 7th, 2005, 01:03
I am unsure of this version just because the newest release was 22 now its 23 (which I am installing) I like the constant updates I am just unclear on how to rate this one.

CannedSoup
July 7th, 2005, 01:32
This is just another off branch of Snex9X Unoffical. So its the unoffical unoffical release. I think if people wanna branch off they should work on making is different. Maybe a menu that isnts so crappy looking some different and more advance features.

RedKing14CA
July 8th, 2005, 03:28
hmm... i think they should cram all of the snes9x (official and unofficial alike) together! and leave out the bad stuff...... but anyways.......... i downloaded this emulator, its the best out of the four emu's available...... although i can never get the right frameskip............. its always too slow or too fast, no matter how i clock the psp or how many frames i tell it to skip......

but im cool with it..... i want to play metal slug on my psp!!! but the neo geo cd files are too huge, and the psp duznt have a neo geo emulater

o2byzst
July 8th, 2005, 05:42
I keep getting the "game could not be started" error. I see the Snes logo when I go to the Memory stick, click on it, the PSP loads, then "game could not be started"...what do I need to do?

I'm using version 1.5 of PSP firmware.

shadowprophet
July 8th, 2005, 05:50
I keep getting the "game could not be started" error. I see the Snes logo when I go to the Memory stick, click on it, the PSP loads, then "game could not be started"...what do I need to do?

I'm using version 1.5 of PSP firmware.

Hmm if you can get into the emu. and see the roms list.
And attempt to load a rom, yet they wont work. The only answer has to be that your useing the wrong roms.
Are your roms smc or sfc (not certain sfc works).
Ive never tried an sfc rom.
Also a lof of the sites one would download roms from will send you a corupted file unless you follow there instructions (usualy involving voteing for a few sites). I hope this helps :D Good luck

o2byzst
July 8th, 2005, 06:00
I don't think I made myself clear...when I turn on my PSP I go to the "Memory Stick" area. I see the emulator there and click it...then I see the normal PSP boot and then the error "game could not be started" comes up. I don't actually see a ROM list to choose games from.

Cross
July 8th, 2005, 06:02
wait version 1.50 or 1.51/1.52??

o2byzst
July 8th, 2005, 06:04
Software version 1.50...basically, I bought my PSP on launch day and haven't really done much with it. I have not updated my firmware or network since I got it.

Cross
July 8th, 2005, 06:05
hmm...did u use KXploit or SEI tool?

o2byzst
July 8th, 2005, 06:09
You lost me there. I didn't use either to my knowledge...I just downloaded one of the emulators from this board and tried that way.

The file I chose was: uoSnes9x_002y8.zip
The rom types I've got are .smc

Don't know if that helps or not.

Cross
July 8th, 2005, 06:13
...read the install guide, ur not version 1.0 u can not just dl and install and u should be using ver y24. (the newest) Less problems more compatable.

Read the FAQ Install guide in the top sticky of the PSP thread here. U HAVE to use KXPloit or SEI. SEI will hide the corrupt files KX makes.

The thread is the SNES/NES SEGA Thread that compairs all EMU's, provides links and a install guide for 1.50 users