PDA

View Full Version : PSPX - Mass Storage Converter

wraggster
July 7th, 2005, 00:21
Awesome News from <a href="http://www.teamxecuter.com/" target="_blank" >Team Xecuter</a> :

<BLOCKQUOTE>For some time now we have been working hard on a PSP hack. If you remember we never said it was a modchip or anything that could boot dumped games or homebrew (currently you have psp-dev and the WAB team to thank for these breakthroughs). In fact what we designed was our own development hardware to tap into every aspect of the PSP, from the Memory Stick port through to its NAND flash memory and infrastructure.

As there are more and more homebrew applications and games and other exciting developments within the growing PSP scene there is obviousley a need for more storage - and with that comes a heavy price. The cost of a 2Gb DUO memory stick can cost over $400 !

However, what if you could use a Smart Media Card, Compact Flash Card, SD Card, USB Flash Drive or even a USB HDD !

Well it's possible. We are developing a simple plug in device where you can expand the PSP Memory Stick Port to connect to several other memory devices, thus saving massive costs and giving you a multitude of storage options for your PSP no matter what you wish to play with be it games, web browsers, ebooks, music players, media managers and much more !

Using this same development kit we have been able to downgrade v1.52 / v1.51 down to v1.50 or even a v1.00 with no problems whatsoever. We can also tell you its easily possible to patch the kernel to be able to boot anything you like without any type of software loader. It can be acheived in both a modchip AND a non-modchip form so no doubt teams like WAB and others will have solutions for you in the coming weeks as the methods to achieve this are indeed known by others - we are simply confirming its very possible. Before anyone makes a rumour - no Xecuter is not doing any form of modchip for the PSP - it will be a waste of time as every patch can be achieved without the need for this. However maybe certain dealers will have capabilities to downgrade your PSP firmware for you - or to repair PSP's damaged by the over zealous hacker - who knows ?

On a final note good luck to teams like WAB and PSP-DEV - they are worth supporting.

Here is a picture of our pspx dev kit (this version is v0.2 we are currently on v0.5, some things we like to keep internal for now). You may notice an Ethernet connection too </BLOCKQUOTE>

accord 4 me
July 7th, 2005, 00:55
wow this is great news. can't wait to see this in action :D

Simply put, amazing.

It's a sight to see that they will be able to tap into all aspects of the PSP, and be able to give the PSP scene many new discoveries that will lead to many extraordinary homebrew softwares which will be able to take advantage of many of the PSPs functions, even more than are available now.

Plus, I love the fact that I'll be able to use my 512mb compact flash card ^_^ Thanks to the "plug" they are creating.

Cap'n 1time
July 7th, 2005, 01:25
On a final note good luck to teams like WAB and PSP-DEV - they are worth supporting.

I was disapointed in this statment. everything else sounds pretty cool.

Jdemon
July 7th, 2005, 01:56
Woooow!! :D That looks like an awfully big add-on ...I'm assuming it's gotten smaller by now though. I'd just be happy with the ability to use other mc formats, but I'm very excited to see what they come up with.

Fly On
July 7th, 2005, 03:07
I wonder how much they will cost? Hopefully they will also have a tutorial on how to make the plug yourself.
Splendid news overall.

yakumo
July 7th, 2005, 07:19
Price!!! Release date!!! I want it bad! 8)~. Mmm, first Neoflash for DS, now this for the PSP... I'm gonna turn poor when it comes the time of buying those precious gadgets, but it will pay the cost.

Cya!

tanner090
July 7th, 2005, 08:00
Wow, i think that its an amazing development. But this is a problem, since Team Xecuter (which by the way has done some great thing son the psp and xbox) is not a big company. To mass produce this product in a clean small package will be a challenge and not to mention the fact that it would be considered illegal. I think that the only way that anyone will get a hold of it is through Team Xecuter which will have to upgrade the design and figure out a way to mass produce this. Its sad news to my ears and yours but i think it wont be 8 months until you or me will see this wonderful device attached to the USB port on our psp's

Tanner

RedKing14CA
July 7th, 2005, 10:40
:confused: what is all that stuff, i see a memory stick ms adaptor, and alotof things, but how does the psp come in??? wouldnt you have to buy all those wires n stuff? im so noobish..... :confused:

do you connect it where the memory stick would go or what? dude..... :confused:

Qmark
July 7th, 2005, 20:08
I think that the only way that anyone will get a hold of it is through Team Xecuter which will have to upgrade the design and figure out a way to mass produce this. The GBA PortableMonopoly/Afterburner light mod was tossed out into the marketplace pretty quickly.

Anyway, I'd expect Sony to have a 1.53 update online within the next two days.

accord 4 me
July 7th, 2005, 22:46
Wow, i think that its an amazing development. But this is a problem, since Team Xecuter (which by the way has done some great thing son the psp and xbox) is not a big company. To mass produce this product in a clean small package will be a challenge and not to mention the fact that it would be considered illegal. I think that the only way that anyone will get a hold of it is through Team Xecuter which will have to upgrade the design and figure out a way to mass produce this. Its sad news to my ears and yours but i think it wont be 8 months until you or me will see this wonderful device attached to the USB port on our psp's

Tanner

Just to clarify what the PSPX Mass Storage Controller does as some sites are posting lies of its origin and use. The device is designed, used and manufactured in Asia - it is ludicruous to suggest otherwise and pointing fingers at real people's names who used to be involved in the scene is a desperate and lame thing to do. Let's hope false accusations lead to legal pursuits.

The PSPX picture posted was of our own internal dev device to patch into the PSP. Its purpose is to develop a mass storage device - and thats it. The picture shows hardware that is for development purposes only. The end product will be a very small add-on giving a completely legitimate function of being able to use different types of memory devices at a much lesser cost to the user. We would imagine that only scene-terrorists would try to damage this development.

It will not downgrade your PSP firmware or patch for any illegal or even legal activity - we made a comment that we had discovered how to do this using discoveries made by dev hardware but we are not going to be making any such hardware to perform this task - there will be no need - groups like WAB will be doing all this via software soon enough. We imagined this was clear but you don't expect news to be edited censored and twisted by scene-terrorists so I guess the best option is to post no news at all.

Therefor this will be the last news post on our own PSP DEV as it only feeds desperate scene-terrorists into posting sensational rumours, lies and spin. It's a waste of our time and everyone elses - making comment only feeds the pathetic need for attention to gain more hits.The term "scene-terrorists" is apt as they do as much as possible to disrupt, damage, discredit and harm anyone they feel is a threat to them or to anyone who they whore themselves for.

I was disapointed in this statment. everything else sounds pretty cool.

you're an idiot

Me33
July 7th, 2005, 22:49
If you had read it from the real source (xecutor) you would have realized that the picture shown isn't the device they are speaking of. The picture is just what they use to work on the PSP. The actual device you will eventually be able to buy is much smaller and should be just a plug-in.

edit: looks like accord beat me to it :p

Cap'n 1time
July 8th, 2005, 01:19
you're an idiot

YOUR A ****ING DICK CHEESE AND IF YOU EVER COME BACK HERE AGAIN IL TAKE A KNIFE AND ******** **************** **************** ***************** YOU SON OF A BITCH MOTHER ****ER.

^
feel free to remove that.

you're an idiot.

^
keep that much.

I was dissapointed in that statment because it seems that are supporting the lame ass teams that are creating iso loaders and what not. in other words. a bunch of stupid kids who cant pay their way in the world.

are you happy with that or shall i take a knife and ****** ******** and cut off your balls and *******?

Neospy
July 8th, 2005, 01:26
Erm.... Looking at the picture, It's pretty awesome! I must say, why is the ms adapter thing a MS-Duo to MS? That looks like where it would connect to the PSP, but how is that possible when that adaptor will not fit into the PSP. Maybe that is not where it will connect. We must wait and see.....

>neospy
(retarded enough to upgrade to 1.51 when it came out... thats the only fun thing on the psp. At least im not using 1.52.)

password9
July 8th, 2005, 12:20
To mass produce this product in a clean small package will be a challenge and not to mention the fact that it would be considered illegal.

Know what? The more that I think about it, it would NOT be illegal. Why? Simple. So long as the "rig" they are creating doesn't play UMD isos then it's not a "backup unit". Rather, it's simply an addon which plugs into your PSP via the USB or MemoryStickReader (remember, if it's not a hardware hack then it has to plug in either of those two places; and it probably goes into the USB since it would be a bit uncomfortable trying to use the controller with junk sticking out of your memory stick slot).

Oh, and why won't this play UMD isos? Simple. UMD isos are encrypted and reference the UMD drive, not the MemoryStick drive (i.e., the actual game ISOs look for files on C:\ but the files are located on D:\). So, UMD's can't be played via the memory stick "UNPATCHED". So, as long as Team-E doesn't go patching the things themselves, they should be okay.

troggy
July 8th, 2005, 18:15
I have a Jap PSP and I tried to update to firmware 1.5 from Playstation/us. The process went wrong and instead of resetting after the firmware upgrade the console just locked up and now will not run. Just the green light comes on for about a minute and goes off. You have been experimenting with the firmware. Is there anyway I can get back to my original version and get the console working again. Thanks

Velo
July 9th, 2005, 10:05
You murderer! Poor PSP. Oh well it's for a good cause. I hope you guys finish this, It will definitly broaden the PSP's horizon.

RedKing14CA
July 10th, 2005, 09:17
hes not the murderer, SONY IS!!!!! (it destroyed its own creation... AHAHAH.... )

but poor troggy paid like 300$ for that and now its useless.. im sorry troggy, try calling sony, and make sure to make reasonable threats (sueing ect)

Richard_Walston
July 14th, 2005, 18:24
I was just curious did you guys explore the USB 2.0 ipods and what that might make possible for us all on psp? With a hack kit and that 60 gigs that is all I WOULD NEED!